Coronavirus

Reacher

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Bad news sells. A stock market selloff, big weather event, murder, pick your favorite. News people know how to get viewers.

People fear things they don't understand, and the media plays on those fears and takes advantage of fearful emotional based people.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Reacher said:

The daily Coronavirus death toll is reminiscent of the Vietnam body count. We just had more people die in the Nashville tornado.  1500 people die daily from cancer. We need a little perspective here. Sensible precautions are fine but people are going way overboard. 

Just read that in addition to 25 deaths 70 people from the Nashville tornado are still missing. Prayers for the families. 

On 2/26/2020 at 6:10 PM, Drroogh said:

First thought. I have a $3.7 million tooling project just getting started. Even with the 25% tariff our proffered vendor out of Colorado which manages tool builds in China is still the lowest price with superior tool builds. They only went back to work a week ago, which is putting us behind schedule. Since our company is Japanese owned and Japan is starting to get slammed with the virus there are serious concerns about the supply chain. It only takes the lack of one part out of hundreds to shut an assembly line down!

You might be interested in this-

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/04/blindsided-on-the-supply-side/

On 3/6/2020 at 7:02 AM, rico said:

Just got back from the store this morning and thought of a situation like this. Headline: "Meijer cashier diagnosed with coronavirus. All shoppers who used checkout aisle 13 last weekend may have been contaminated as well."

• Haha 2

Here's the thing.  There are probably tens of thousands of people running around with the virus that don't even know it.  The symptoms are supposedly mild in children.  So, how many 3 year olds are running around with runny noses, which is something they have all the time, that is actually the coronavirus this time around.  The focus needs to be on treatment and finding a vaccine.  I'm not sure those two things are getting the attention they need.  If they are, then the press sure hasn't picked up on it.   They are still fear-mongering.    

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Here's the thing.  There are probably tens of thousands of people running around with the virus that don't even know it.  The symptoms are supposedly mild in children.  So, how many 3 year olds are running around with runny noses, which is something they have all the time, that is actually the coronavirus this time around.  The focus needs to be on treatment and finding a vaccine.  I'm not sure those two things are getting the attention they need.  If they are, then the press sure hasn't picked up on it.   They are still fear-mongering.    

Yeah, they are working on a cure...and yeah, the media isn't reporting it, LIKE THEY SHOULD.

Wife dragged me to Bloomington today for our biweekly grocery trip.  Planned on going to the game but decided not to a couple weeks ago. Made a stop at target. There were only a few bottles of bleach left, no rubbing alcohol or peroxide, milk and toilet paper cleaned out, no hand sanitizer there or anywhere else really.  OTC medication cleaned out. If you need everyday supplies I would get a couple weeks worth while you can.  People are buying this stuff by the cartload.

It is so over the top but I need TP too. Cant expect work to pay me for all of my office visits. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Wife dragged me to Bloomington today for our biweekly grocery trip.  Planned on going to the game but decided not to a couple weeks ago. Made a stop at target. There were only a few bottles of bleach left, no rubbing alcohol or peroxide, milk and toilet paper cleaned out, no hand sanitizer there or anywhere else really.  OTC medication cleaned out. If you need everyday supplies I would get a couple weeks worth while you can.  People are buying this stuff by the cartload.

It is so over the top but I need TP too. Cant expect work to pay me for all of my office visits. 

More importantly...did they have beer left?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Yes they did.  Apparently people dont know the real cure for coronavirus.  Pickleing yourself with beer and alcohol. Lol😂

Well, when there is a run on beer I will start being concerned or resort to the old ways and build myself a still.

• Like 1

The mortality rate for Corona virus is based on the number of people that are actually infected.

The mortality rate for the flu is based on the US POPULATION, not the number of people that have the flu.

So the media hype on the mortality rate is (as usual) over blown. The virus is a serious threat to us old farts with health issues. Not so much for people under 40. They're not immune, but older people are at a much higher risk. All the deaths in Washington state were people over 70, with severe health issues. And they were all in the same nursing home! (all but 1 or 2 I think)

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 1:20 PM, milehiiu said:

The NBA has requested players NOT to high five with fans due to the virus.

True story - the only time I got a high five from a NBA player was back in 2001. The player was Dikembo Mutombo. I got sick as hell for like a week after that. So, maybe not a bad policy regardless of a pandemic. 😜

• Haha 1