Coronavirus

Reacher

1 minute ago, jv1972iu said:

True...some are at capacity right now.  So, if we have a spike, as some medical folks believe we will, what happens then?  It's the sheer numbers that have people concerned.

I plan on staying overnight in a hospital twice...first time, I had a tiny wristband on...second, I'll have a toe-tag...

Richard Pryor said it best...

"A hospital ain't no place to get better."

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

True...some are at capacity right now.  So, if we have a spike, as some medical folks believe we will, what happens then?  It's the sheer numbers that have people concerned.

Numbers where?  From Washington state?  

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Numbers where?  From Washington state?  

Rico, do you believe that this virus is spreading?  Rapidly or slowly?  Do you think this is a hoax?  I mean, what do you believe is happening?  I'm going by what I hear/see medical experts saying could happen.  I'm 70 years old, so I'm concerned.  😊

Edited by jv1972iu

Rico, do you believe that this virus is spreading?  Rapidly or slowly?  Do you think this is a hoax?  I mean, what do you believe is happening?  I'm going by what I hear/see medical experts saying could happen.  I'm 70 years old, so I'm concerned.  😊

I am not going to live my life in fear and will go out and do things I enjoy.  Like is to short to live your life in fear and if you do you are pretty much putting yourself in a prison.

• Like 3

Rico, do you believe that this virus is spreading?  Rapidly or slowly?  Do you think this is a hoax?  I mean, what do you believe is happening?  I'm going by what I hear/see medical experts saying could happen.  I'm 70 years old, so I'm concerned.

How many of these "end of the world viruses" have we had in the last 10 years or so?  Ebola?  H1N1?  Sars?  Countless probably.  It is spreading for sure.  But I see no need for panic by the masses.  No offense, but if you are that concerned just stay home and isolate yourself from the general public.  

• Like 2

To each his own.  😊

I not going to do anything stupid and if I know that someone is infected by this or been to a certain place I won't go.  I am just not going to play the what if and just not go somewhere just because their is a possibility.  I am more concerned about my father who is having skin cancer surgery tomorrow than whether he or I could get this virus.

Just now, rico said:

How many of these "end of the world viruses" have we had in the last 10 years or so?  Ebola?  H1N1?  Sars?  Countless probably.  It is spreading for sure.  But I see no need for panic by the masses.  No offense, but if you are that concerned just stay home and isolate yourself from the general public.  

None taken.  😊

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I not going to do anything stupid and if I know that someone is infected by this or been to a certain place I won't go.  I am just not going to play the what if and just not go somewhere just because their is a possibility.  I am more concerned about my father who is having skin cancer surgery tomorrow than whether he or I could get this virus.

Fair enough.  Prayers for your father.  Good luck.  😊

Edited by jv1972iu

20 minutes ago, rico said:

Call me when they reach a pandemic like "Project Blue" in "The Stand."

• Haha 1

Not a verified source but saw this on another forum I visit and thought I would share here.  Seems like some good info in it.

A friend forwarded this information that she received from a hyper-vigilant professor friend who is quarantined in China and teaching her university classes on-line. It contains information about how the sickness presents and some further precautions that I have not seen elsewhere, so I thought I would share.

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can you know if you are infected? By the time you have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% fibrosis. Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning:

Take a deep breath and hold it for more than 10 seconds. If you do this successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, there is no fibrosis in the lungs; it basically indicates no infection. In critical times, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air.

Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and then the lungs. That's very dangerous.

Also:

1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold.
2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees C. (About 77 degrees F.) It hates the Sun.
4. If someone sneezes with it, it goes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.
5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface, wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.
7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.
8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.
9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.
10. Can't emphasize enough - drink plenty of water! THE SYMPTOMS:
1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Heard some people discuss this last night. Do you think committee will change seeds/teams so to minimize air travel for games for teams and potentially fans?

I'm commenting on my own. I think whatever you want to call the actions just announced....you could see multiple Big 10 teams play each other early in tourney because they want to reduce travel....especially air travel. 

The onset of the virus was something no one could control.  Nature has its ways.  

That said, I firmly believe that there are those that have used and manipulated the situation to push an agenda.

From my 401K, all the way down to my status as a sports fan, I am not happy at all about it.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The onset of the virus was something no one could control.  Nature has its ways.  

That said, I firmly believe that there are those that have used and manipulated the situation to push an agenda.

From my 401K, all the way down to my status as a sports fan, I am not happy at all about it.

I just wish my work would tell us to stay home for the next 3 weeks

• Like 1

First I would like to admit that I am a Corona virus hoax denier, so take this as you will. 

Isn't part of the human (species) immune system dependant on portions of the collective (think the Borg) allowing bugs to get in so that our natural systems can fight them, build antibodies and progress the hive? If we prevent this (I know natural selection sounds bad and not PC) are we not accelerating our own version of colony collapse? But then again, global warming is going to kill us all anyway so why not just drink, be merry and gain carnal knowledge of that beauty down the street, that is married to that germaphobe? You know she want's ya.

• Like 1