Coronavirus

Reacher

45 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

What the heck is wrong with people? I’ve never seen so many panicky morons in my life.

Try to do some basic grocery shopping and idiots are buying up all the toilet paper and one stupid lady grabbed 8 gallons on milk? 

has everyone gone crazy? This is not the freaking plague, NO one is running out of toilet paper. What the hell is wrong with people? 

I think people react to the images they are seeing of other places where the virus is creating problems.  When they see positive steps being taken by officials, maybe they will relax.  And yes, some people are going to act crazy.  

Edited by jv1972iu

51 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Me too...so much BS "information" out there right now...

Read a story about a Covid-19 "survivor"...yeah, she's 1 in 99...I'll take those odds any day...

I hate getting sick, but this isn't the Bubonic Plague...people need to calm down...

You're right, but maybe some people see it like bubonic plague.  They can't help themselves.  Human nature?

52 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I have no words for this :

Ralph Baric, PhD | Department of Microbiology and Immunology, UNC, was developing the Carona Virus.

It escaped. And now they are working on a cure.

All of this is from memory after listening to a podcast a month or so ago, but...

As I understand the events, it went something like this:

The team at UNC were doing research on bat based coronavirus’ (coronaviri?) and they created a new virus so that they could test their theories. When they published some of the results, and explained what they had done, there was a bit of a heated academic debate over the risk/benefit of this type of research. There are obvious benefits to understanding how these types of virus’ (viri? what is the multiple of virus) can be fought. However, at what risk to all of humanity if it were to get out of the lab? (Think Lyme disease)

The research was ultimately stopped, I think, but two of the researchers moved back to China and started working at the ... wait for it ... Wuhan National Biosafety Laboratory.

The theory, of course, is that they took samples with them and continued the research at the lab in Wuhan where it did in fact get out of the lab.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rico said:

The toilet paper thing cracks me up.

My Dad use to wear plain white t-shirts when we went camping...in a pinch, he'd rip off the sleeves and make utility of those...

I have about 2 dozen plain white t-shirts...run out of those, I guess I'll go out and scoot along the grass like a dog...

1 minute ago, rico said:

Or error on the side of hysteria?

I maybe didn't say it right.  I think he might want to be seen as being prepared.  He was one of the early governors who closed all schools.  The estimate number of 100,000 infected helped justify his reasoning perhaps?  Just a guess on my part.  There's a lot of fear of the unknown happening, don't you think?

2 hours ago, SteveS said:

All of this is from memory after listening to a podcast a month or so ago, but...

As I understand the events, it went something like this:

The team at UNC were doing research on bat based coronavirus’ (coronaviri?) and they created a new virus so that they could test their theories. When they published some of the results, and explained what they had done, there was a bit of a heated academic debate over the risk/benefit of this type of research. There are obvious benefits to understanding how these types of virus’ (viri? what is the multiple of virus) can be fought. However, at what risk to all of humanity if it were to get out of the lab? (Think Lyme disease)

The research was ultimately stopped, I think, but two of the researchers moved back to China and started working at the ... wait for it ... Wuhan National Biosafety Laboratory.

The theory, of course, is that they took samples with them and continued the research at the lab in Wuhan where it did in fact get out of the lab.

Exactly what I have been hearing. And the Chinese were working on turning it to turn a into a bio-warfare weapon. Except it escaped there as well.

Hey check out what has been going on in Iran.  Though they say they have it under control. Satellite images have picked up mass graves of hundreds who get buried at night, thinking the satellites won't discover what they are doing.   At least Italy has been honest in terms of what has been going on in their country.

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, rico said:

Or error on the side of hysteria?

It’s absolutely crazy here in Texas, people lining up outside the grocery store before 8 am?? 
Why?? We’re not all about to be hit with a hurricane (when stacking up actually is important), we’re not running out of toilet paper and milk. And this guy in front of me grabs all the ramen on the shelf? I’ve never seen so many stupid, panicked morons in my life 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Going out to lunch yesterday with coworkers, it was brought up, did anyone remember such craziness about a disease? Swine flu, MERS, SARS were all brought up, but nothing like this could be remembered! Is this worldwide hysteria justified or is this just something even more concerning in that it is just a symptom of the on-line mass misinformation?

• Like 1

You know what really scares me?

The fact that other countries see how easy it is to get the US in a tizzy...Jesus Christ, the Greatest Generation has to be ashamed...what would we do now if a madman took over Europe and started gassing millions of people? Lay in the corner and suck our thumbs?

This country, for all of its warts, has stepped up to numerous challenges over the years, with great strength and courage...

If you think other countries that are not our friends aren't noticing, you're mistaken...

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Are you guys seeing this grocery store insanity outside Texas? 

I was trying to think of some reason why it’s so nuts here, was thinking maybe people are conditioned here to stock up for hurricanes. This looks like Hurricane Harvey, only there’s no storm 

Went to Walmart yesterday in the smaller city where I work to get a connector. Decided to walk by the grocery side to see the craziness.  It looked kind of like Christmas with all the people and there were some select shelves that were pretty much empty, but nothing like what you are describing. This morning went into town here in rural GA. The parking lot at Piggly Wiggly looked like any other Saturday morning, went into Walgreens to pick up a med and their limited grocery isle was full, decided to buy some soup as it was on sale. The TP shelf was low but still about 2/3rds full. 

And this is the area that empties the bread and milk shelves if there is just a threat of snow!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I was trying to think of some reason why it’s so nuts here, was thinking maybe people are conditioned here to stock up for hurricanes. This looks like Hurricane Harvey, only there’s no storm 

I'm in northern Indiana. The store was busy and people were stocking up as if a blizzard was coming, but I haven't seen anything too crazy like people buying all the ramen noodles. TP and Clorox wipes were out but most other stuff was well stocked. My biggest concern is having to feed my 3 kids for a month when the crazies buy all the shelf stable items this weekend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

My Dad use to wear plain white t-shirts when we went camping...in a pinch, he'd rip off the sleeves and make utility of those...

I have about 2 dozen plain white t-shirts...run out of those, I guess I'll go out and scoot along the grass like a dog...

I can't tell you how many times I went squirrel hunting or Mushroom hunting, as a kid and came back with a tee shirt with one sleeve. Man that made mom made as all get out!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Come on out to Archie's Food Basket in Splendora...no panic there...😁

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

Going out to lunch yesterday with coworkers, it was brought up, did anyone remember such craziness about a disease? Swine flu, MERS, SARS were all brought up, but nothing like this could be remembered! Is this worldwide hysteria justified or is this just something even more concerning in that it is just a symptom of the on-line mass misinformation?

Seriously. The question was asked of a doctor on tv today.  Should someone be concerned about go to a restaurant, or ordering food for delivery?  And the answer was... no.

In terms of hysteria.  I think this is unprecedented.

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 4

Health officials really need to stop throwing out estimates until adequate testing has been done. 

Italy is scaring people but Italy is the 5th oldest population in the world with a alot of smokers. There are cultural and hygiene differences between the USA and Europe. 

• Like 3