Coronavirus

Reacher

2 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

If we can test, find clusters, and successfully contain those clusters, we can quickly go back to the status quo.

The people calling this a hoax coupled with the fact we did absolutely nothing as a country to prepare is what has put us in this situation.  Now, we are in mitigation mode, whereas if we were proactive in initially testing, identifying, and quarantining, we wouldn't have to take these drastic measures.

Who called it a hoax? I haven't heard anyone call it a hoax. What put us in this situation is a complete lack of preparedness and utter bungling by the Administration and government, including the FDA / CDC, generally. The lack of testing was a complete fiasco.

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Who called it a hoax? I haven't heard anyone call it a hoax. What put us in this situation is a complete lack of preparedness and utter bungling by the Administration and government, including the FDA / CDC, generally. The lack of testing was a complete fiasco.

Look at the beginning of this tread people were laughing and making light of the situation. Of course no one here knew anything and that was the outlook others in power to do something earlier looked at things. Some people were sounding the alarm but people did not want to listen 

1 minute ago, Cutter said:

Look at the beginning of this tread people were laughing and making light of the situation. Of course no one here knew anything and that was the outlook others in power to do something earlier looked at things. Some people were sounding the alarm but people did not want to listen 

This is fair. And I am one who thought (and still thinks) this is overblown, though I have come to understand the situation / virus is worse than I thought it would be.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Deleted,  better safe than sorry.  :)

blue

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Goldman Sachs is saying 50% of the US population (and 70% in Germany) may get this and it should peak within 8 weeks. No doubt its getting worse before it gets better. 

Goldman Sachs says "Goldman insists in a written statement to Forbes. “The summary text was not prepared or authorized by [Goldman Sachs] and it contains erroneous information and language which was not used on the call. "

Link

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

Not political at all...correcting an erroneous statement...

I'd do it if it was directed at any president dating back the Washington...

when you say "just because they don't fit an agenda" etc. it's politics, and immediately above your reply I said no politics. No political discussion, nada. We tried it once here it was an absolute failure. This board is NOT for any political discussion. No need to reply to this, I'm not discussing it further.

As expected, HSN members have discussed a difficult topic with passion and respect. Thank you all.

Let's keep it that way. Even bringing politics to the fringe of this conversation will be toxic, and not accepted.

We all realize the connection, we all have opinions on it. As difficult as it may be, that part of the conversation can not be part of our discussion.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Ironically.  My wife swims normally swims every weekday at our local club. The club has yet to close. But is limiting the number of members in each room.  She got in today. And we have a Costco close to the club. She called ahead, and they told her they have an ample supply of toilet paper. But to get there as soon as possible. And they are limiting purchases to one package per person.

Also on Saturday. My wife went to a meeting for a group she attends every two weeks at a local Panera.  I was apprehensive. But did not say no to her, as she is an officer. Anyway... my wife came home and told me about a lady with a walker who loaded up by packing her purse with napkins. 

Quoting myself for the update. After swimming at our club. And being told that our local Costco had an ample supply of toilet paper.  Even

though they were limiting the amount of purchases. She headed over.  Only to find out that they were already sold out of toilet paper. 

And this was BEFORE noon today  !

Editing to add.  My wife wanted to buy some whole chickens to store in our freezer. And said their were none.  AND... and there were NO rotisery (SP) chickens either.

Edited by milehiiu

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

And you're ignoring the swine flu. Again, half a million people. We did not go into worldwide panic over it. Listen, I fully get, as does I think everyone, that this is serious. But, frankly, so is the flu, so was the swine flu, etc. The overreaction is causing massive financial destruction nationwide and worldwide. That is not, in any way, a good way to deal with this virus.

Edited:

Geesh, come on man. That link could not be more politically based. Help me out here!!

-blue

In 2009, a new H1N1 influenza virus cropped up out of season, in late spring. Because of genetic similarities to influenza viruses in pigs, it became known as a “swine flu,” even though there is no evidence the virus spread between pigs or pigs to humans.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there were about 60.8 million cases of infection with the novel type of influenza virus in the U.S. between April 2009 and April 2010, with a total of approximately 274,304 hospitalizations and 12,469 deaths.

While that death toll may sound high, it’s over an entire year and, in fact, ended up being far lower than was initially expected. The strain of influenza also turned out to have a case fatality rate of just 0.02% — well below even many typical seasonal influenzas.

Everything that’s known about the new coronavirus so far suggests that it’s an entirely different beast than its most recent pandemic predecessor. Peter Jay Hotez, a professor and dean of the tropical medicine school at Baylor College of Medicine, told us that the new virus, which is known as SARS-CoV-2, is considerably more transmissible and more lethal than H1N1.

For those reasons, he said, “the urgency to contain this coronavirus is so much greater than the H1N1 2009 one was.”

55 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Goldman Sachs is saying 50% of the US population (and 70% in Germany) may get this and it should peak within 8 weeks. No doubt its getting worse before it gets better. 

I truly hope the extreme measures being taken keep this below 50%.  

And, if it does last 8 weeks, the impacts to the economy will be staggering.  Small businesses simply cannot survive that kind of layoff.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I truly hope the extreme measures being taken keep this below 50%.  

And, if it does last 8 weeks, the impacts to the economy will be staggering.  Small businesses simply cannot survive that kind of layoff.

The government will have to step in...and that is political.

42 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Goldman Sachs says "Goldman insists in a written statement to Forbes. “The summary text was not prepared or authorized by [Goldman Sachs] and it contains erroneous information and language which was not used on the call. "

Link

Thanks for the follow up. It kind of raises more questions then it answers. I only referenced the one point. Would be nice of them to point to what they are now saying is erroneous.