Coronavirus

Reacher

SO everyone is stressed right now so I thought I'd bring this here. Even though this was done in seriousness in one of the hardest hit places in the world I had to laugh.

My Russian friend has a friend that lives in Milan Italy, where masks among other things are hard to come by. This was her attempt to make a home made mask!

Image may contain: one or more people and indoor

No photo description available.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

SO everyone is stressed right now so I thought I'd bring this here. Even though this was done in seriousness in one of the hardest hit places in the world I had to laugh.

My Russian friend has a friend that lives in Milan Italy, where masks among other things are hard to come by. This was her attempt to make a home made mask!

Image may contain: one or more people and indoor

No photo description available.

Yikes !!

44 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Showed it to my boss who is in one of the highest risk categories being a blood cancer survivor with no immune system. Later someone was talking to him about things and I commented I could make a mask for him! He laughed, and told me to GTH!

2 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I am scheduled for hip replacement surgery on the 26th. I am a little concerned that it will be cancelled. Man, I hope not the pain and discomfort is really starting to wear on me. 

Yes. A lot of elective surgeries are being cancelled all over the country.  Man, I wish you well. And think that a replacement surgery such as yours would not be cancelled. I wish you well and will pray that GOD sees you through these uncertain times.

Let me premise this post by saying that the virus is a significant situation.

However, I believe that the vast majority of people who actually contract it, will recover from it completely. Only people with OTHER underlying conditions (respiratory, COPD, compromised immune systems, etc) are at high risk. And they should take significant precautions, as should their inner circle of friends and family to protect them.

But some in the media is are making this sound like an automatic death sentence. It is overblown from a "death standpoint". We lose 30-60,000 people a year to the flu. I'll wager that we don't come anywhere near that death toll with the Coronavirus. Certainly the instances of contracting the virus will go up significantly with more testing, but the rate of deaths will not ramp up at the same rate as the instances of positive tests IMO and in the opinion of the task force. Dr Birx of the task force suggested that the death rate could be far short of 1%.

I support the short term (15 day) recommendations made by the task force today. Short term pain for long term gain.

And the more decisions made at the local level the better. (like individual cities/counties rather than state or national mandates) Where I live in SC, we have almost no cases of the virus, and the few that we do have are far away. Why should restaurants be closed here, when there are no problems at all? Let that call be made at the local level.

Published 5 hours ago

Cruise passenger infected with coronavirus: 'I never showed any symptoms at all'

Edited by DWB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yes. A lot of elective surgeries are being cancelled all over the country.  Man, I wish you well. And think that a replacement surgery such as yours would not be cancelled. I wish you well and will pray that GOD sees you through these uncertain times.

Thank you my friend.

44 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I am scheduled for hip replacement surgery on the 26th. I am a little concerned that it will be cancelled. Man, I hope not the pain and discomfort is really starting to wear on me. 

Do you happen to know if the procedure will be performed from the front of the hip, or the side or rear? If your Surgeon is using the "frontal" procedure, you should be back to normal in 3-4 weeks. If they replace it from the side or rear, you're looking at 6-10 weeks. I had mine done 2 years ago, and was ready to start swinging the golf club in a little over 3 weeks. But you have to the PT !!

Good luck. I bet they don't cancel it. You're early in the curve of hospital demand, unless you're in NYC, Frisco, Washington or Chgo.

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

Good luck...hope everything goes on time and well!

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Do you happen to know if the procedure will be performed from the front of the hip, or the side or rear? If your Surgeon is using the "frontal" procedure, you should be back to normal in 3-4 weeks. If they replace it from the side or rear, you're looking at 6-10 weeks. I had mine done 2 years ago, and was ready to start swinging the golf club in a little over 3 weeks. But you have to the PT !!

Good luck. I bet they don't cancel it. You're early in the curve of hospital demand, unless you're in NYC, Frisco, Washington or Chgo.

I am having the anterior replacement. A good friend of mine had it done in November and he was going to watch his son coach a women's college basketball team.

Thank you for the kind words.

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Let me premise this post by saying that the virus is a significant situation.

However, I believe that the vast majority of people who actually contract it, will recover from it completely. Only people with OTHER underlying conditions (respiratory, COPD, compromised immune systems, etc) are at high risk. And they should take significant precautions, as should their inner circle of friends and family to protect them.

But some in the media is are making this sound like an automatic death sentence. It is overblown from a "death standpoint". We lose 30-60,000 people a year to the flu. I'll wager that we don't come anywhere near that death toll with the Coronavirus. Certainly the instances of contracting the virus will go up significantly with more testing, but the rate of deaths will not ramp up at the same rate as the instances of positive tests IMO and in the opinion of the task force. Dr Birx of the task force suggested that the death rate could be far short of 1%.

I support the short term (15 day) recommendations made by the task force today. Short term pain for long term gain.

And the more decisions made at the local level the better. (like individual cities/counties rather than state or national mandates) Where I live in SC, we have almost no cases of the virus, and the few that we do have are far away. Why should restaurants be closed here, when there are no problems at all? Let that call be made at the local level.

Published 5 hours ago

Cruise passenger infected with coronavirus: 'I never showed any symptoms at all'

You really don’t know that there aren’t cases near you. In fact, I’d guarantee that there are. You can have it for a week or more without showing symptoms. 

Annual tradition.  Local Louisiana style restaurant has a traditional crab fish boil.  This year pre- paid for a reservation on March 28,  for 12 of our friends and relatives.  My mistake. Paying in cash, over $500, to insure the reservation.  instead of credit card.  Restaurant is not answering their phone.

As I told you all previously in this thread. My wife swims daily at our local athletic club. She was there this morning. However, she just got an e-mail from the club.... that they are closing down.... and have not decided when they will be opening back up again. Seeing as how my wife is in her early 70's and has underlying health issues, and knowing how much see loves swimming every weekday.... I am feeling good to know that the club is closed. Only hope that we can get our pre-paid annual membership fee, which is considerable, back for the time the club is closed.

• Like 1