Coronavirus

Reacher

12 hours ago, Drroogh said:

So I have a co-worker in a VERY difficult place tonight. His son was at school in Germany and also visited Italy. His son arrives back in the States tonight. They have no idea what the quarantine policy will be. The other side of the story, even if he could see his son, that would be a very bad thing as our boss is a blood cancer survivor with no immune system! Being Manufacturing Engineers we can't stay home and do our jobs. Myself even if they shut the plant down I will still be managing  the tooling program being built in China and can actually do 90% of my job from home but I still need direct access to the company server in order get to the product designs! Difficult times ahead!

Update so my co-workers son was not quarantined, but in the best interest of everyone, my co-worker is self quarantined to make sure his son doesn’t develop symptoms. Also there are now two fairly significant plants within a few miles of our plant that are now shut down because they each had an employee that exhibited virus symptoms! We are full boar and why are you behind? Some managers are complete..........

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I keep seeing Europe and Italy being brought up. I would be interested in seeing demographic data on who is infected by this. Let's not forget Europe was absolutely flooded with immigrants not long ago living in close proximity in immigrant camps. 

To add to that demo data, I’d like to see bucketed data of the level of symptoms. 
1- I feel great

2- I sneezed twice but I actually used too much pepper

3- high temp of 98.9

4- they buried me today

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I keep seeing Europe and Italy being brought up. I would be interested in seeing demographic data on who is infected by this. Let's not forget Europe was absolutely flooded with immigrants not long ago living in close proximity in immigrant camps. 

I did hear the other day that Germany had an estimated 1 million refugees from the Syrian civil war.

10 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

You really don’t know that there aren’t cases near you. In fact, I’d guarantee that there are. You can have it for a week or more without showing symptoms. 

You may, and probably are correct that there are cases of the virus near me. But there are NO deaths. As of this morning the US has only endured 80 deaths nationwide, and 25+ are from the nursing home in Washington state.

My point was that while the reported number of cases will undoubtedly increase with increased testing, that does not automatically translate into a sudden rise in deaths.

I'm upset that the media, both print and video in a large proportion automatically ASSUME that if you get the Corona virus, you're either dead, or going into ICU. I don't believe that will be the case at all. High risk people will likely require some form of intense care, but for the vast majority of Americans, we'll be no worse off than the seasonal flu.

And now there is a generic drug that shows real promise for therapeutic treatment of the virus...quickly.

Edited by DWB
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rico said:

I did hear the other day that Germany had an estimated 1 million refugees from the Syrian civil war.

Not only Germany, but Italy, France, and Sweden. But not so much in Poland or Hungary. 

And look who is getting hit hardest.  Just saying there might be something there. 

While we continue in uncharted territory.  The resourcefulness and ingenuity of Americans never ceases to amaze.  Denver has banned all in door seating in their restaurants. There is one Denver restaurant that have never had delivery.  And they only have on street parking. So... starting today. They will be placing tables on the sidewalk in the front of their restaurant.  And packaging food items from their menu, with a price marked on the packages. For a grab and go.  Placing plastic buckets on the ends of the tables.  Trusting people to be on their honor to pay, rather than actually grabbing and going, without paying.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Not only Germany, but Italy, France, and Sweden. But not so much in Poland or Hungary. 

And look who is getting hit hardest.  Just saying there might be something there. 

Could very well be...haven't seen any sources delve into that yet.

"Until then, perhaps the last word should be given to virologist Dr. Lisa Gralinski, who told The Scientist, “If you’re over fifty or sixty and you have some other health issues and if you’re unlucky enough to be exposed to this virus, it could be very bad.” While everyone else should remain vigilant and take proper precautions (e.g., washing hands and avoiding crowds) until more data comes in, from a scientific perspective the public alarm is disproportionate to the risk."

https://geopoliticalfutures.com/the-most-important-coronavirus-question/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Reacher said:

"Until then, perhaps the last word should be given to virologist Dr. Lisa Gralinski, who told The Scientist, “If you’re over fifty or sixty and you have some other health issues and if you’re unlucky enough to be exposed to this virus, it could be very bad.” While everyone else should remain vigilant and take proper precautions (e.g., washing hands and avoiding crowds) until more data comes in, from a scientific perspective the public alarm is disproportionate to the risk."

https://geopoliticalfutures.com/the-most-important-coronavirus-question/

I am over 70. With no underlying health issues. But....  Haven't left the house for days. Other than to take the trash out, get the mail, and pick up the newspaper.  During that time I have washed my hands more than I can ever remember.  More than in a normal two weeks. I don't think I am panicking.  Just being cautious, based on stories like this.

Thanks for the share.

• Like 2

Our local vet here in Brooklyn is instituting "curbside service." We are lucky though, b/c our vet lives on our floor of our building.

Due to concerns about the threat of Covid-19, All Creatures is taking additional precautionary measures to keep our staff, doctors, animals and clients safe. As we are sure you are aware, the situation in NYC is changing on a daily basis. Effective 3/17/2020, we will be implementing Curbside Service for all your veterinary needs.

As much as possible, we are attempting to keep it to staff only in the building. We ask that you give us a call as you approach the hospital. Please remain outside with your pet. We will discuss your pet's needs by phone and at the end of the phone conversation, a staff member will come outside to you to bring your pet into the building for examination. When the evaluation is complete, we will discuss any findings and recommendations with you by phone. Please have all cats in carriers and dogs on a controlled leash.  Please maintain a 6 foot distance from others to the best of your ability to prevent crowding outside and for your safety. If an exception needs to be made please discuss it with our team prior to your arrival at the hospital. 

If you need prescription medications, heartworm or flea/tick control refills or prescription diets, please call us when you are outside and we will bring these out to you.

^^^ Thanks Lost.  I just placed an online order for more dog food with Chewy.com.  Normally they deliver to my house within two days. Got an e-mail from them saying it will take up to 8 days to make this delivery.  Due to an increase in demand, and having employees staying home to self contain.  I appreciated and understood the e-mail reply from Chewy.

It is always good to have a pet around.  But even more so, to help sooth the stress, right now.  May God bless you, and all other pet owners out there.

• Like 1

My wife, Ayden and myself were sitting on the bleaches watching a baseball game between my sons college team and a team from Mass on Thursday march 12th. My oldest son came in to pitch, 2. 2/3 innings of no hit baseball striking out 5 walking 0 and giving up no runs. As they were about to enter the 7th inning the coach asked if we wanted to finish the game or allow a freshman to finish it and he would be able to throw again on Saturday. My wife did not understand why they took him out and was ticked but I told her he would probably throw Saturday. My son that is graduating from college in 3 years and will begin grad school to become a doctor in June walked off the mound just like he has so many times before, but this time was different. At 11:00 pm Thursday night my wife got a text from our son that said ,"The school has called all teams back to Ohio immediately and they would be leaving Florida Friday morning." by the end of Friday classes had been postponed and all will be done online. By Saturday the campus was closed for the semester and students had until March 21st to be off campus. Somewhere in all of this his last year of baseball was cancelled. 

My son started playing T Ball at 3 years old and for the past 18 years I have enjoyed watching him play more than anything in this world. I have been blessed to have been able to see over 95% of his games. This year was going to be different, we were going to find a way to see every game, actually we did that. I could not have asked for a better son or could not be any more proud of him than I am. Not only is a great player but much much better person. On that Thursday afternoon he walked off the field with no fanfare, no standing ovation, nothing different from the 100's of other times except that it was the last time!!  As a coach I have always told my players to enjoy every opportunity because it could be your last. I know that personally as I tore my ACL my senior year of high school and never stepped on the court in a meaningful game again. I have coached kids that have gotten hurt and not been able to return and many that after losing their final game reality hit that it was over. For my son he did not get the opportunity to know that this was it. For me that is a hard part to deal with. In the big picture it is still just a game and we knew it was ending this year but (BEING GREEDY I WANTED TO SOAK IT IN) did not expect it like this. I know he will be very successful but knowing that he has played his last game and I will never get the opportunity to be a fan of my all time favorite baseball player is very saddening. No more will I be yelling, Get ahead and stay there and the many other stupid things we Dad's say. I knew it would happen but I am not ready. Many of you have gone through this and can relate. More greed here, my wife and I  won't get the opportunity to walk across the field on Senior night heads held high as they introduce our son, we won't get the opportunity to compete for any titles, we won't be blessed with watching a young man with much GOD given talent doing the things that have brought us such joy for many years. This was the year in which he finally put it all together and worked so hard in the off season to fine tune some things. His final stat line for 2020. 8 2/3 innings pitched. 0.00 ERA 11 K's 1 BB 1 hit. Today I am proud of my son and for the 18 years of memories that he has provided. 

On one end of this Corona Virus spectrum I fear for my youngest son and his health as he does have serious medical issues and on the other end I selfishly am upset at what this virus has taken away from us and from my oldest son in losing his last year of baseball.  Thank you for letting me express my feelings 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Yes. A lot of elective surgeries are being cancelled all over the country.  Man, I wish you well. And think that a replacement surgery such as yours would not be cancelled. I wish you well and will pray that GOD sees you through these uncertain times.

Just got the cancellation call this morning. I am not surprised since my wife works at the hospital and they are really tightening the screws.

On a positive note I was feeling tremendous pressure to finish the total bathroom renovation. I can now slow the pace down and maybe sleep in.

I have attached a couple pics and I apologize for somewhat hijacking the thread.

IMG_20200313_131049445.jpg

IMG_20200313_131006343_MP.jpg

IMG_20200313_131003539.jpg

IMG_20200314_094909067.jpg

IMG_20200315_171247566.jpg

• Like 4