Coronavirus

Reacher

3 hours ago, Cutter said:

How many quarts did you buy? None of my business but curious because although I don’t drink now when I was young a quart of margaritas wouldn’t have lasted my girlfriend and I maybe an hour lol

Ha, just one quart. Tomorrow we might order two!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Cuomo closes the state of New York.  Everyone stays home except essential services workers. ** Maybe close is the wrong word.  He said 100% workforce reduction.  He had an entire list of rules regarding what people need to do and not do.  There will be penalties, fines for not following them.

Yep, we just got back from a walk around. Stopped at a wine shop, only two customers allowed in at a time. Very orderly and everyone was maintaining good distance between each other.

Cuomo has been reluctant to shut down the state, but I don't think he had any choice. The numbers of positive cases are increasing at a dizzying speed, especially here in NYC. The new rule allows us to go out to buy food, medicine and other basic needs. They said we can also go outside and exercise as long as they practice social distancing. We live close to Prospect Park and have been going out for runs, but keeping well clear of people when we pass them.

Our hospital already has 100 positive cases with another 80-100 probable. They are begging for volunteers and are estimating about two weeks before protective gear runs out.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Yep, we just got back from a walk around. Stopped at a wine shop, only two customers allowed in at a time. Very orderly and everyone was maintaining good distance between each other.

Cuomo has been reluctant to shut down the state, but I don't think he had any choice. The numbers of positive cases are increasing at a dizzying speed, especially here in NYC. The new rule allows us to go out to buy food, medicine and other basic needs. They said we can also go outside and exercise as long as they practice social distancing. We live close to Prospect Park and have been going out for runs, but keeping well clear of people when we pass them.

Our hospital already has 100 positive cases with another 80-100 probable. They are begging for volunteers and are estimating about two weeks before protective gear runs out.

Stay safe out there. I drive back and forth to indy every day.  In office all day by myself no contact with anyone if I can help it. It's so odd to not have much traffic.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

My wife and I were in NYC last October.  While it's not for me, it is one amazing city.  Best of luck to you and your family and ALL residents of  New York.  I know they will come through this crisis.

1 hour ago, iamaparker1 said:

Confirmed case Harrison County

My wife works in health care in Harrison County.  It’s definitely getting closer to home for me literally and emotionally with my wife’s job. She is at a nursing home so she should be safe with all the precautions they are taking, but still...

There are confirmed cases in Clark County where I work, but I teach so I’m out anyway. Still none as of yet in my home county. 

Edited by Parakeet Jones

2 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

My wife works in health care in Harrison County.  It’s definitely getting closer to home for me literally and emotionally with my wife’s job. She is at a nursing home so she should be safe with all the precautions they are taking, but still...

There are confirmed cases in Clark County where I work, but I teach so I’m out anyway. Still none as of yet in my home county. 

You have a long daily drive when school is in session.  

6 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I'm a retired teacher. Now work as a instructional assistant. Not working obviously. Hopefully the school corporation will somehow pay the hourly workers. Many hourly workers depend on it as their only income.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

My cousins works at NYU and from what I can tell....he's in some capacity with students studying abroad. As you can imagine it's been nothing short of a nightmare. Add to that he and his girlfriend hate their Washington Heights apartment (had to live there for $ reasons) and are trying to move down to 60's-90's on West Side by April 1st.....while still trying to exist in an unknown world out there. Be safe!! 

I've missed several pages of this thread so SIAP. But I just wanted to interject among all of the medical, financial and unfortunately political news, I've not seen anything about developing a plan to support the emotional needs. SO many people are emotionally weak in this day and age heck it seems like 10% of the people at airports (prior to CV) had support animals! Are we going to see an uptick in Suicide? What about after we come out of this, how many people will have some form of PTSD? I know I am all for "all hands on deck" battling the disease, but there needs to be some people smarter than me working on the emotional side. All I can say is the partisan politicians and media are only making things worse and they need to STOP!

• Confused 1

I just want to interject. Thanks to all that are willing to share what is going on in their daily lives.  I have always said that Hoosier Sports Nation is more than just a sports forum.  It's a community that has come together over the years in times of joy and less.  No further proof of that, than this thread, IMHO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

I've missed several pages of this thread so SIAP. But I just wanted to interject among all of the medical, financial and unfortunately political news, I've not seen anything about developing a plan to support the emotional needs. SO many people are emotionally weak in this day and age heck it seems like 10% of the people at airports (prior to CV) had support animals! Are we going to see an uptick in Suicide? What about after we come out of this, how many people will have some form of PTSD? I know I am all for "all hands on deck" battling the disease, but there needs to be some people smarter than me working on the emotional side. All I can say is the partisan politicians and media are only making things worse and they need to STOP!

I did hear this exact sentiment expressed by a infectious diseases expert today on one segment of the one daylong news channels.  He said that mental health worries for him are equal to the virus.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

My wife and I were in NYC last October.  While it's not for me, it is one amazing city.  Best of luck to you and your family and ALL residents of  New York.  I know they will come through this crisis.

Thank you, and yeah we're taking it seriously but no one is really freaking out about anything other than bed and protective gear shortages. Also, there are MANY parts of NYC that are definitely"not for me." I get that. My wife has to drag me to Midtown/Times Square area kicking and screaming. It's literally one of my least favorite places in the world. So many people crowded together shopping at crappy stores.

16 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

My cousins works at NYU and from what I can tell....he's in some capacity with students studying abroad. As you can imagine it's been nothing short of a nightmare. Add to that he and his girlfriend hate their Washington Heights apartment (had to live there for $ reasons) and are trying to move down to 60's-90's on West Side by April 1st.....while still trying to exist in an unknown world out there. Be safe!! 

It's definitely cheaper to live up in Wash. Heights, but I can see why they want to move further south on west side. I have had two international staff go back to their countries (India and Netherlands) since this started. Our Netherlands person just got here on a paid summer internship two weeks before this all blew up. It had been her lifelong dream to live and work in NYC for a summer. She was here for 8 days, before her university recalled her. Told her it was too dangerous in the US.

We are up over 5,100 cases now in NYC. Watching the positive results come in has been pretty discouraging, but everyone knows this is a long slog with many people recovering.

Another positive, much more time hanging out with the dogs. They don't seem to mind having us home all the time! I'm also about to place a huge order of annuals for our terrace. We'll be spending a lot of time out there this Spring/Summer. Normally, my wife tries to limit me to 50 pots/containers for flowers and veggies. This year, she said "Go crazy, let's make it into a jungle since we'll be out here all the time." Challenge accepted!

One last bit of positive news, liquor stores have been deemed "essential stores" that may remain open during shelter in place. And here's an article about bars adapting to the new reality of to go drinks:

https://gothamist.com/food/heres-how-nyc-bars-are-adapting-new-alcohol-go-rule

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1