Coronavirus

Reacher

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Another positive, much more time hanging out with the dogs. They don't seem to mind having us home all the time! I'm also about to place a huge order of annuals for our terrace. We'll be spending a lot of time out there this Spring/Summer. Normally, my wife tries to limit me to 50 pots/containers for flowers and veggies. This year, she said "Go crazy, let's make it into a jungle since we'll be out here all the time." Challenge accepted!

Was just wondering if Menards/ Home Depot / Lowes will stay open and be getting their deliveries of Mulch / Flowers on time this year. I'm hoping that after the snow expected tomorrow that we will be done with winter and looking forward to sprucing up the yard. Already aerated and fertilized earlier this week. I think those are essential stores. People need to be able to maintain their homes. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Was just wondering if Menards/ Home Depot / Lowes will stay open and be getting their deliveries of Mulch / Flowers on time this year. I'm hoping that after the snow expected tomorrow that we will be done with winter and looking forward to sprucing up the yard. Already aerated and fertilized earlier this week. I think those are essential stores. People need to be able to maintain their homes. 

The Menards here in Warsaw sells food...so I hope they remain open.

22 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I believe Home Depot and Menards have shortened their store hours and Lowes has remained the same....obviously this can all change on a daily basis.

23 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Funny you mentioned. With so much extra time on hand I've been studying all morning about type of potted plants, potting soil,etc...because I'm to looking into starting in next week or two. Figure by April we should be in the clear in terms of cold (fingers crossed). Probably should talk about in another thread. This coronavirus has me searching for a hobby.

• Like 1

Well I’ve come full circle on the virus and pandemic. The complete lack of preparedness has us playing major catch up as a nation. Now we’re moving to multiple states having stay at home policies in place and the economy will take a much bigger hit than if there had been a plan in place, and the virus had been taken seriously. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Well I’ve come full circle on the virus and pandemic. The complete lack of preparedness has us playing major catch up as a nation. Now we’re moving to multiple states having stay at home policies in place and the economy will take a much bigger hit than if there had been a plan in place, and the virus had been taken seriously. 

China put the entire world behind the 8 ball on this thing.  And, before someone throws out South Korea's 'success;, I encourage them to look deeper into the numbers.  

• Like 5

Took a trip to the Humble, Tx Costco this morning...lots of people in line, but store management had it under control...no BS (line jumping, hoarding) permitted...1 package of TP of other paper products allowed...I did get the essentials...

IMG_20200321_091147.jpg

IMG_20200321_093505.jpg

IMG_20200321_102436.jpg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

They would be considered essential businesses, at this point.

The company I work for sells refrigerators, washer and dryers. In everything so far, those items are listed under "essential". So every state we do business in, we have been part of the exempt businesses.

With that said, we are going to reduced hours of operation next week.

18 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

They would be considered essential businesses, at this point.

The company I work for sells refrigerators, washer and dryers. In everything so far, those items are listed under "essential". So every state we do business in, we have been part of the exempt businesses.

With that said, we are going to reduced hours of operation next week.

They are essential.  If someone's refrigerator stops working, they have to buy a new one.  There really is not an option.  That said, I would expect the only sales of those items right now are situations just as I described.  People are simply not going to be upgrading appliances, remodeling, or buying new homes while all of this is going on.  

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

They are essential.  If someone's refrigerator stops working, they have to buy a new one.  There really is not an option.  That said, I would expect the only sales of those items right now are situations just as I described.  People are simply not going to be upgrading appliances, remodeling, or buying new homes while all of this is going on.  

For people out of work, I'd expect it to be the ideal time for projects. From painting, to gardening and spring cleaning there are lots of things to do for those that finally have some time on their hands. 

My brother is a realtor and he says he's been busy. Rates are low. We'll see if the lending dries up. 

Edited by Reacher

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Funny you mentioned. With so much extra time on hand I've been studying all morning about type of potted plants, potting soil,etc...because I'm to looking into starting in next week or two. Figure by April we should be in the clear in terms of cold (fingers crossed). Probably should talk about in another thread. This coronavirus has me searching for a hobby.

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

I would imagine they will stay open. At least I hope so. I'll need some potting soil.

@Seeking6 I would be down with a gardening thread, b/c I think it will keep us sane!

• Like 1

SIAP...long article with a ton of referenced studies, graphs, bell curves, and statistical analysis.  I think it is well worth the time, although you can feel free to skip the political diatribe at the end.  The statistical and medical analysis leading up to that is very solid.  Although I'm fine with maintaining social distancing, lots of hand washing and other common sense precautions, I felt better and more informed after I finished it.

https://medium.com/six-four-six-nine/evidence-over-hysteria-covid-19-1b767def5894

EDIT: Nevermind...host took it down.  What a shame.  It had a lot of good analysis.  Probably got knocked for turning political at the end of it, which really didn't add anything as far as I was concerned.  He should have let the facts speak for themselves and let people draw their own conclusions.

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 1

Hope everybody and their families are doing well and healthy. I needed to take a break from news because I was feeling a bit overwhelmed. Really trying to watch less news, and not fixate on stuff I can’t control for my own sanity. So, I watched a lot of Netflix yesterday and played some guitar and feel better mentally. Just a tip if your anxiety is on overdrive. 

I also realize how fortunate I am to be able to do that right now and can’t tell you how appreciative I am for the front line workers. Especially nurses - you are amazing people. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

SIAP...long article with a ton of referenced studies, graphs, bell curves, and statistical analysis.  I think it is well worth the time, although you can feel free to skip the political diatribe at the end.  The statistical and medical analysis leading up to that is very solid.  Although I'm fine with maintaining social distancing, lots of hand washing and other common sense precautions, I felt better and more informed after I finished it.

https://medium.com/six-four-six-nine/evidence-over-hysteria-covid-19-1b767def5894

The only problem I have with this is that all the data is wrong. We don’t have enough tests to really know how many people actually have contracted the virus. So you can analyze the existing data all you want and it just doesn’t matter because the data is simply not complete enough to give any true understanding of what’s going on.

2 minutes ago, SteveS said:

The only problem I have with this is that all the data is wrong. We don’t have enough tests to really know how many people actually have contracted the virus. So you can analyze the existing data all you want and it just doesn’t matter because the data is simply not complete enough to give any true understanding of what’s going on.

There was a story about some statisticians and engineers investigating the damages done to returning aircraft during WW2 in order to try and figure out how to increase the survivability of planes. Finally a pilot spoke up and said you people are idiots, you are only looking at the planes that made it back!

I'm go ing to give IUFLA credit for the story because I believe he posted it elsewhere! (correct me if I'm wrong)

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

True. However our freezers are flying off the floor as people stock up. Same with computers as people are doing classes online.

We just sold a refrigerator to a customer who was desperate, food gonna go bad.

So true, in my line of work,the fluff purchases have slowed (less than I would have expected tho), but other items have spiked.

I oversee several states, Kentucky, Indiana, Missouri and Tennessee. It is interesting how employees and customer in each state are responding so differently, as all 4 are similar demographics. 

Went into town today because I needed to pick up a med at the pharmacy and send out a care package at the post office. Here in rural Georgia it seemed like everything was business as usual, including being able to find TP?? Ended up having to go a second time because when I went to open up a can of my survival food, the can opener didn't work! Uff DA!

1 hour ago, SteveS said:

Yes.  The data is flawed.  Countries such as China (probably), Russia (most likely), and North Korea (LOL) are not reporting accurately.  And, other countries, the U.S. being one of those, have not tested enough of the population.

All that said, for countries that at least try to report accurate information, there is one statistic that you can look at and gain valuable information.  That statistic is the number of deaths.  In Europe, that number indicates to me that Germany has a better handle on this than Italy, Spain, or France.  

And, despite all of the concern about how prepared the U.S. was/is, our rate of death is significantly below most other countries that have been hard hit. I know things can shift as our overall number of cases gets exponentially larger each day, but I hold out hope that our current death rate is an indicator that the precautions that have been taken in the U.S. are working.

For comparative purposes, The U.S. has roughly 7 times the population of Spain.  At the beginning of March, both countries were reporting about 100 Covid 19 cases.  Both are reporting around 25,000 now.  Spain has had approximately 1,400 deaths.  The U.S. currently sitting at 288.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, SteveS said:

Not entirely true. If you look at death rates among known cases, it's mathematically impossible for death rates to go up when you later add milder previously undiagnosed cases.  The author of the article I linked intends to keep updating it as more information is available, but several of his conclusions seem very reasonable and logical based on the data that we do have.  Obviously the data improves with time but patterns are already emerging.