Coronavirus

Reacher

In reading about Italy, there's no wonder they have a monster problem.  From "Germany's Corona Cases May Be Flattening...":

"Italy’s Lombardy region, where Milan is located, and 14 other provinces were the first to go on lockdown to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. But news of the measures leaked on social media before the official announcement, prompting thousands – mostly university students – to leave bars and hop on some of the last trains south.

When the number of cases spiked by more than 50 percent within a 24-hour period, Italy Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte on March 7 announced a sweeping nationwide lockdown, ordering Italians to only leave home for essential needs, such as visits to the grocery store or hospital.

For weeks before the nationwide lockdown measures, the Italian public had been fed mixed messages about the crisis, with several politicians sharing messages encouraging people to go out as a sign of strength against the coronavirus threat.

Nicola Zingaretti, the leader of the governing Democratic Party, visited Milan on February 27, with a group of students.

“We must not change our habits,” he wrote in a social media post, according to the Guardian. “Our economy is stronger than fear: let’s go out for an aperitivo, a coffee or to eat a pizza.”

He tested positive with the coronavirus nine days later.

The mayor of Milan, Beppe Sala, had also shared a video with the message “Milan does not stop,” showing people out at bars, hugging and kissing, waiting at train stations and seemingly going about life as normal.

Even after the nationwide lockdown was implemented, Italians still failed to grasp the severity of the problem, and police, over the course of the first week, charged more than 40,000 people with violating quarantine measures, the Guardian reported.

Police and troops have since been deployed to patrol the streets in Naples and Sicily. Professional sporting events were canceled, masses began convening online, and most bars, restaurants and other businesses shut their doors."

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So I'm reading correctly for Indiana..grocery stores, gas stations, pharmacies will still remain open is that correct? 

Essential places will still be open, it really shouldn't be any different than what we have already been doing if we were smart. Hopefully the businesses adapt and limit the number of people in the store at one time or impose other guidelines.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Essential places will still be open, it really shouldn't be any different than what we have already been doing if we were smart. Hopefully the businesses adapt and limit the number of people in the store at one time or impose other guidelines.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I only go to 2 places maybe 3x in last week. Grocery store and gas station...otherwise I've been inside since last Friday. Just making sure I understand the changes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

That's kind of what I was thinking. I only go to 2 places maybe 3x in last week. Grocery store and gas station...otherwise I've been inside since last Friday. Just making sure I understand the changes.

We did see nail salons and hair salons open on Sat - with people actually in them! But as of Sunday 8pm, Cuomo shut all of those places down. Grocery stores, some restaurants, hardware stores, and liquor stores are all still open here.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

This isn't going to change anything.  People are still going to be going on as if nothing is wrong

I don't know...I went out Saturday to get a few things and while places like Costco or HEB had people in them, they weren't even close to what the normal foot traffic would be... Every other business appeared shuttered... At least that's the way it is in Texas 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

We did see nail salons and hair salons open on Sat - with people actually in them! But as of Sunday 8pm, Cuomo shut all of those places down. Grocery stores, some restaurants, hardware stores, and liquor stores are all still open here.

Banks are still open in Colorado.

Somehow, I feel I have been well ahead of the curve, as I have pretty much stayed in place, since retiring.  LOL

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I texted the lady who cuts my hair to see if she could fit me in before shutting down, but she decided to shut down her shop early. I get my hair cut every two weeks. It’s going to be driving me nuts soon. I might have to buy my own clippers. 

Went to my barber for over 20 years. However stopped as the price kept going up, and less time to cut my thinning hair, and she stopped the massage. Bought clippers. I cut my son's hair, and he cuts mine.  Have paid for the clippers exponentially.

Additionally.  I have never seen as many FedEx or UPS deliveries on my block in one day, than today.  I am waiting for a FedEx delivery today, and two for tomorrow.

And, we have younger friends, who have offered to go to the grocery store for us later this week. At first I told my wife, we are well stocked and no need to take up the offer. Then she said.... we could use some some fresh produce.  They'll be shopping for us on Thursday. 

18 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I texted the lady who cuts my hair to see if she could fit me in before shutting down, but she decided to shut down her shop early. I get my hair cut every two weeks. It’s going to be driving me nuts soon. I might have to buy my own clippers. 

Ben Rothlesberger feels your pain.

bigben1.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Was just going to post this. With people cooped up indoors, they aren't getting enough Vitamin D from the sun and consequently have weakened immune systems.  Also, seems the virus doesn't like heat and humidity. AZ more at risk than FL.  The farther north you go, the cooler and drier.  Hopefully a warm up and wetter spring weather will help to further limit the virus.

I want to give a shout out and a huge thank you to our nation's truck drivers. Both long haul and local.  They are keeping on keeping on.  Without them our nation's supply chain would be completely broken.

I have followed one long haul driver over You Tube for years.  He's from Wisconsin.  Basically delivers food (refrig trailer) all over the Eastern States.  And said the other day that the DOT has shut down their electronic log books for now. Amazing in that the DOT is very strict in the numbers of hours a long haul driver is allowed to drive at one given time.  Which means he can run any number of hours, he chooses which is safe. Before... the DOT required truckers to shut down periodically for extended breaks.  No longer the case.

In the event you know a trucker, man or lady that is continuing to keep on keeping on.  Give them a shout out. And let them know our great nation appreciates what they do and are doing for us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OK so to dispel a couple things 

- banks, by law, cannot simply close. Each state has its own laws for banks and state-chartered credit unions, and those laws must be followed -- for example, in Texas there are regulations for a 3-day emergency closure of a branch or branches, with permission of the state banking commissioner. Your bank will not simply close. Regardless, most banking can be done on line.

- life won't continue "as normal." The incredibly stupid, selfish, dimwitted, panicking dipshits will race to your grocery stores and buy up every pack of toilet paper and paper towel that can be found. However, while these stupid, mindless morons apparently haven't gotten the grasp of this yet, there is no shortage, whatsoever, of toilet paper or paper towels, nor will there be -- deliveries to most grocery stores come daily, first thing in the morning. So you can go line up with the idiots, if needed. However, you can often just bypass these freaking stupid cows, and just go to your local CVS - ask them when they get deliveries. This is what we did today, when every single grocery store was completely sold out and where lines, at 6:30 a.m., are 3-4 blocks long. CVS, right in our neighborhood, had plenty of toilet paper this morning. If there is one thing to learn from this virus, it's that the American public at large is a panicked collection of idiots. You can also try ordering off Amazon, etc. -- Amazon is back-ordered for toilet paper into mid-April. But it might make sense to order a couple (AS IN 2, NOT 10) packs of toilet paper in advance so you know it's on the way in. Or you can buy a bidet. But they're selling out. Lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I want to give a shout out and a huge thank you to our nation's truck drivers. Both long haul and local.  They are keeping on keeping on.  Without them our nation's supply chain would be completely broken.

I have followed one long haul driver over You Tube for years.  He's from Wisconsin.  Basically delivers food (refrig trailer) all over the Eastern States.  And said the other day that the DOT has shut down their electronic log books for now. Amazing in that the DOT is very strict in the numbers of hours a long haul driver is allowed to drive at one given time.  Which means he can run any number of hours, he chooses which is safe. Before... the DOT required truckers to shut down periodically for extended breaks.  No longer the case.

In the event you know a trucker, man or lady that is continuing to keep on keeping on.  Give them a shout out. And let them know our great nation appreciates what they do and are doing for us.

My dad was a truck driver. Drove for jasper engines the deliver fuel for a local oil company. 

Have always respected the profession.

48 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Sometimes it's nice to have lost most of my hair. Lol

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

OK so to dispel a couple things 

- banks, by law, cannot simply close. Each state has its own laws for banks and state-chartered credit unions, and those laws must be followed -- for example, in Texas there are regulations for a 3-day emergency closure of a branch or branches, with permission of the state banking commissioner. Your bank will not simply close. Regardless, most banking can be done on line.

- life won't continue "as normal." The incredibly stupid, selfish, dimwitted, panicking dipshits will race to your grocery stores and buy up every pack of toilet paper and paper towel that can be found. However, while these stupid, mindless morons apparently haven't gotten the grasp of this yet, there is no shortage, whatsoever, of toilet paper or paper towels, nor will there be -- deliveries to most grocery stores come daily, first thing in the morning. So you can go line up with the idiots, if needed. However, you can often just bypass these freaking stupid cows, and just go to your local CVS - ask them when they get deliveries. This is what we did today, when every single grocery store was completely sold out and where lines, at 6:30 a.m., are 3-4 blocks long. CVS, right in our neighborhood, had plenty of toilet paper this morning. If there is one thing to learn from this virus, it's that the American public at large is a panicked collection of idiots. You can also try ordering off Amazon, etc. -- Amazon is back-ordered for toilet paper into mid-April. But it might make sense to order a couple (AS IN 2, NOT 10) packs of toilet paper in advance so you know it's on the way in. Or you can buy a bidet. But they're selling out. Lol.

I require the softest tissue that Charmin makes.  Does CVS have that, or just sell sandpaper under the guise of it being toilet paper?  :coffee:

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Funny thing, that's what we got, Charmin. We love us some soft tissue.

We are a Cottonelle family and office.  Time to start a toilet paper poll.

As an aside, much as the U.S. has a strategic petroleum reserve (which the should be absolutely filling right now), my assistant got a 30-pack of cheapo Kroger paper the other day, which will be my last resort.  I call it my Strategic Paper Reserve.