Coronavirus

Reacher

9 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Harbor Freight has been a favored company for years in the mile household. Never more so, than now.  Thank you for the link. And thank you Harbor Freight for stepping up in this time of need.

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

OK so to dispel a couple things 

- banks, by law, cannot simply close. Each state has its own laws for banks and state-chartered credit unions, and those laws must be followed -- for example, in Texas there are regulations for a 3-day emergency closure of a branch or branches, with permission of the state banking commissioner. Your bank will not simply close. Regardless, most banking can be done on line.

- life won't continue "as normal." The incredibly stupid, selfish, dimwitted, panicking dipshits will race to your grocery stores and buy up every pack of toilet paper and paper towel that can be found. However, while these stupid, mindless morons apparently haven't gotten the grasp of this yet, there is no shortage, whatsoever, of toilet paper or paper towels, nor will there be -- deliveries to most grocery stores come daily, first thing in the morning. So you can go line up with the idiots, if needed. However, you can often just bypass these freaking stupid cows, and just go to your local CVS - ask them when they get deliveries. This is what we did today, when every single grocery store was completely sold out and where lines, at 6:30 a.m., are 3-4 blocks long. CVS, right in our neighborhood, had plenty of toilet paper this morning. If there is one thing to learn from this virus, it's that the American public at large is a panicked collection of idiots. You can also try ordering off Amazon, etc. -- Amazon is back-ordered for toilet paper into mid-April. But it might make sense to order a couple (AS IN 2, NOT 10) packs of toilet paper in advance so you know it's on the way in. Or you can buy a bidet. But they're selling out. Lol.

Yeah I haven't stepped foot in a large store this week. I mainly go to Dollar General or Walgreen's and while they have started getting hit on certain items, they still usually have what I am looking for without huge lines.

• Like 1

we were in need of some serious groceries. Just getting back from vacation we did not have much and then having my college son move home and all of us being there all the time I had to go. The only place where I found most of what we needed was Aldi. I believe that every item was reduced which was a nice touch.  A concern for many people is that we don't stockpile like our grandparents did and having the extra mouths there for all meals will cause a financial burden on many. Where we live many of the kids only get meals from the school which is so sad. OUr school like most are setting up areas to get meals to those families. My wife was asked to work it and get paid but the extra exposure is just not worth it.  Thankfully we were able to get what we needed 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

we were in need of some serious groceries. Just getting back from vacation we did not have much and then having my college son move home and all of us being there all the time I had to go. The only place where I found most of what we needed was Aldi. I believe that every item was reduced which was a nice touch.  A concern for many people is that we don't stockpile like our grandparents did and having the extra mouths there for all meals will cause a financial burden on many. Where we live many of the kids only get meals from the school which is so sad. OUr school like most are setting up areas to get meals to those families. My wife was asked to work it and get paid but the extra exposure is just not worth it.  Thankfully we were able to get what we needed 

My wife pretty much does all of our grocery shopping at Aldi. You can save a lot of money there.....

4 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

My wife pretty much does all of our grocery shopping at Aldi. You can save a lot of money there.....

I really ike aldi's selection of one and done items. Just bought some bangers there a couple weeks ago and had bangers and mash last night. Got to feed the irish in me. Lots of great items and deals. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I'm in the same boat. We shop at Costco so usually have a decent supply. With a house of 5 (daughter just returned from college) we go through food fast. Just exacerbated since we are all eating every meal at home.  Its easy for a retired couple to stock up since they generally don't eat much. Not so much for bigger families. Wishing we still had the second fridge.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

As an aside, much as the U.S. has a strategic petroleum reserve (which the should be absolutely filling right now), my assistant got a 30-pack of cheapo Kroger paper the other day, which will be my last resort.  I call it my Strategic Paper Reserve.

I have heard they are/ will be filling the reserve not only due to the low prices but to help out the oil industry.

51 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

We are a Cottonelle family and office.  Time to start a toilet paper poll.

As an aside, much as the U.S. has a strategic petroleum reserve (which the should be absolutely filling right now), my assistant got a 30-pack of cheapo Kroger paper the other day, which will be my last resort.  I call it my Strategic Paper Reserve.

Mr. Spillman had a joke about toilet paper.  Went something like this.

Little old woman walks into to the store and asks what kind of toilet paper they have. Clerk says we have top shelf premium and is our most expensive, and we have our store brand which is ok and more affordable.  Woman asks what's on the bottom shelf, clerk says that's our cheapest called John Wayne toilet paper, its rough and tough and doesnt take shit off anyone.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Mr. Spillman had a joke about toilet paper.  Went something like this.

Little old woman walks into to the store and asks what kind of toilet paper they have. Clerk says we have top shelf premium and is our most expensive, and we have our store brand which is ok and more affordable.  Woman asks what's on the bottom shelf, clerk says that's our cheapest called John Wayne toilet paper, its rough and tough and doesn't take shit off anyone.  

Until the restaurants closed, I had dinner with Mr. S most Wednesday nights...great story teller and I have fond memories of him as a teacher.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I'm in the same boat. We shop at Costco so usually have a decent supply. With a house of 5 (daughter just returned from college) we go through food fast. Just exacerbated since we are all eating every meal at home.  Its easy for a retired couple to stock up since they generally don't eat much. Not so much for bigger families. Wishing we still had the second fridge.

Exactly.  I picked up a free fridge before Thanksgiving on craigslist for the garage.  Coming in handy for sure. 21 year old son will eat us into poverty 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I have heard they are/ will be filling the reserve not only due to the low prices but to help out the oil industry.

I kind of suspected they might.  Now would be a great time to max that out for both of the reasons you mentioned.  I'd be looking for all the storage I could find.

14 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Until the restaurants closed, I had dinner with Mr. S most Wednesday nights...great story teller and I have fond memories of him as a teacher.

Did he have the giant gavel he would use to wake up sleeping students when you were there?  I got that a time or 2. Got the message across. 

• Haha 1

I feel like there are alot of stressed out people right now. My wife works as a sole proprietor.  She is a massage therapist.  With this indiana shutdown we are about to lose 35% of household income.  

We are lucky though. She has had a long time client that never had kids and pretty much adopted us as her own. Offered up her basement so my wife can still work. If people book appointments.  Wife struggling with anxiety over this. 

Fortunately money wont be a problem for us, but I really feel for those that are sitting at home with no income for the foreseeable future.

And of course the legislature has to play politics.  Gross.  

53 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Costco in the mile  household for TP.  Normally, except at times like now.  Single ply. It is inexpensive.  Who cares? In the end. It gets flushed anyway.  LOL

Just now, Muckraker said:

I chuckle about the TP frenzy, since it is completely unwarranted, but it does serve the purpose of keeping people distracted from hoarding things that other people might actually NEED. 

Really dont understand the run on paper products.  I imagine alot of people sitting around with no food but massive amounts of TP and no bowel movements.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

Really dont understand the run on paper products.  I imagine alot of people sitting around with no food but massive amounts of TP and no bowel movements.  

We're lucky that the effects of the virus have not  crippled any of our truly vital industries, like utilities, Ag, logistics, etc.