Coronavirus

Reacher

8 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Whatever happens I’ll be there in turn one when the green flag is waved. 

Right there with you. Growing up in Gary, Indiana. I can remember walking our neighborhood on race day.  And never missing a moment of the race. As EVERYBODY, had their radios turned up for them and everybody to hear.

45 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Right there with you. Growing up in Gary, Indiana. I can remember walking our neighborhood on race day.  And never missing a moment of the race. As EVERYBODY, had their radios turned up for them and everybody to hear.

Ahh the days of AM radio before TV became popular!

5 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

And now we're back to where we started, really, on Prof. Gupta's team's latest studies indicating that as few as 1 in 1000 who become infected are serious enough to need hospitalization. Well, if that proves out over time, then this entire world economic meltdown may have been just unnecessary.

I’ve read that article and the others posted about the modeling number being off, and yes, that seems to be correct. But this doesn’t negate the fact that the virus is spreading FAST, many people will die and the hospital systems are already overwhelmed when we aren’t close to hitting the peak.

NY had 6,000 new cases in the last 24 hours. That daily number has risen by about 30% every day. Tomorrow it will be more, and it will continue to grow. A lot of people like to compare this to the flu. In the last week of January NY had a reported 8,000 flu cases; now they’re about to have the equivalent of a weeks worth of flu cases in a day. With that current trajectory a day of COAVID19 cases could potentially surpass a month of flu cases. Much of that nation is on the same path as NY. I could be worse if we didn’t begin social distancing. These numbers, as bad as they are right now, are WITH social distancing and STILL people are being denied tests. The actual number (not tested cases) is most likely much higher. 

Does that mean we’re going to get 2.2 million cases? Probably not. But the trajectory is still gravely concerning. And in New York, the number of cases is already higher than what our healthcare systems can handle. 

I’m not sure if we’ll ever be able to answer how necessary social distancing truly will be because there are too many variables. 

Edited by tdhoosier

5 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I’ve read that article and the others posted about the modeling number being off, and yes, that seems to be correct. But this doesn’t negate the fact that the virus is spreading FAST, many people will die and the hospital systems are already overwhelmed when we aren’t close to hitting the peak.

NY had 6,000 new cases in the last 24 hours. That daily number has risen by about 30% every day. Tomorrow it will be more, and it will continue to grow. A lot of people like to compare this to the flu. In the last week of January NY had a reported 8,000 flu cases; now they’re about to have a weeks worth of flu cases in a day. With that current trajectory a day of COAVID19 cases could potentially surpass a month of flu cases. Much of that nation is on the same path as NY. I could be worse if we didn’t begin social distancing. These numbers, as bad as they are right now, are WITH social distancing and STILL people are being denied tests. The actual number (not tested cases) is most likely much higher. 

Does that mean we’re going to get 2.2 million cases? Probably not. But the trajectory is still gravely concerning. And in New York, the number of cases is already higher than what our healthcare systems can handle. 

I’m not sure if we’ll ever be able to answer how necessary social distancing truly will be because there are too many variables. 

No question the numbers are concerning. But there is reason to start questioning how serious this really is, how many of those people really need hospitalization, how much the genuinely horrible economic fall out - hundreds of thousands if not “millions” facing unemployment- was really necessary. I’m not drawing some line in the sand or taking a stand, but you can’t just sit back and decide all of this horrible economic disaster was merited. We don’t know that, and there is now reason to start considering whether this is going too far 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

No question the numbers are concerning. But there is reason to start questioning how serious this really is, how many of those people really need hospitalization, how much the genuinely horrible economic fall out - hundreds of thousands if not “millions” facing unemployment- was really necessary. I’m not drawing some line in the sand or taking a stand, but you can’t just sit back and decide all of this horrible economic disaster was merited. We don’t know that, and there is now reason to start considering whether this is going too far 

Of course we need to question, study and learn from this. But it’s still super early. Also, everybody’s line in the sand different. At what point does the health of our economy over-ride lives - and how many lives will that be? That’s a question none of us want to answer. 

Edited by tdhoosier

People,  I had a somewhat friend live with me for three years plus. Only because otherwise he would have been homeless! He would utilize the emergency room like his primary doctor because they couldn't refuse him! He never paid any of his ER bills!

Read somewhere, maybe here but at the begging of this I read that ER was complaining about how hypochondriacs were overwhelming ER! If you think you have symptoms, call your Primary office, or tellamed!  If you don't have access to tellamed, PM me and I will give you my access! Stop overwhelming the hospitals!

3 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Of course we need to question, study and learn from this. But it’s still super early. Also, everybody’s line in the sand different. At what point does the health of our economy over-ride lives - and how many lives will that be? That’s a question none of us want to answer. 

We are staring down the potential of 30% unemployment.  How many suicides, new drug addicts, addicts dying of od's or withdrawal because they cant afford the drug or treatment.  The increase in crime rates that would likely result putting innocent people at risk.  I know it cant be quantified but It would alot.

And for me this is also a constitutional issue. How long will we go letting our rights be violated.  For example, my wife cant work because if she gets reported on her massage license would be permanently revoked.  But her job is low risk and she has 15-20 clients a week and complete control of her workspace. If 2 consenting adults, her and a client, assume the risk and book an appointment, why is that a problem when you still have millions of people interacting in close proximity at grocery stores everyday?  Ive noticed people are not social distancing and asked to do.  

By all means have precautions in place, educate, and consider putting the draconian measures in places that are having the problems. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

We are staring down the potential of30% unemployment.  How many suicides, new drug addicts, addicts dying of od's or withdrawal because they cant afford the drug or treatment.  The increase in crime rates that would likely result putting innocent people at risk.  I know it cant be quantified but I would alot.

And for me this is also a constitutional issue. How long will we go letting our rights be violated.  For example, my wife cant work because if she gets reported on her massage license would be permanently revoked.  But her job is low risk and she has 15-20 clients a week and complete control of her workspace. If 2 consenting adults, her and a client, assume the risk and book an appointment, why is that a problem when you still have millions of people interacting in close proximity at grocery stores everyday?  Ive noticed people are not social distancing and asked to do.  

By all means have precautions in place, educate, and consider putting the draconian measures in places that are having the problems. 

Ahh the problems of trying to find a one solution fits all! Not to be political but the BIG government solutions are not solutions for you or me!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

It's damn serious. I say that from a city with 22,000 active cases and almost 300 deaths. And we are clocking 4,500 new cases EVERY day. Here is just one recent article that shows just how bad it is at one of our hospitals.

A refrigerated truck has been stationed outside to hold the bodies of the dead. Over the past 24 hours, New York City’s public hospital system said in a statement, 13 people at Elmhurst had died.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/nyregion/nyc-coronavirus-hospitals.html

The thing about all of these efforts (social distancing, closures, etc) is that if they work then people might say, "Well, they overreacted. There weren't as many deaths as we thought."

But on the flipside, if we don't do anything and let the virus run rampant, then how many deaths would be looking at. Would NYC be looking at 12,000-15,000 new cases every day?

The economic fallout is massive, no doubt. All around us, neighborhood bars and restaurants are closed. People we care about suddenly don't have paychecks or the ability to pay their rent. It will get worse. Much worse. But I don't for a second wonder, "Hmm, maybe we are going too far."

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

@Lostin76

I'm in no way saying it isn't serious, where you are. But is it necessary to lock down my county with 0 confirmed cases at the moment, the same way as New York?

Edit: keep safe, really worry about what's going on there. 

Once it's like it is in New York it's well beyond too late.  They are on the brink of having their medical facilities and personnel overwhelmed. I have a feeling this is going to start spiking in Indiana (and many other places) in the next two weeks. If it doesn't spike like new york, that's a concrete sign that the measures being taken are having a positive effect.

How many people have been tested in your county?

• Like 1

Hey Congress. Millions of dollars for the Kennedy Center of the Performing Arts ?

Where's the money for the Denver Center of the performing arts ?

Denver Center for the Performing Arts 

This is what you call a relief act ?

And what has this relief got to do with helping the American citizens all over this great country of ours,who are hurting right now ?

• Like 2

Why isn't this spike happening in LA, Chicago, Houston or any other major metropolitan area with international airports and harbors with large immigrant populations is my question. 

Also, it really doesn't matter which way this goes, these draconian policies will set precedent for when this happens again, and it will.  It will be oh look numbers under projections so policy success or predictions were right but it could have been worse so policy successful.

I live in Martin county. We dont even have a hospital so really have no idea. The 4 surrounding counties have a total of 4 cases. Rural areas will be fine. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Hey Congress. Millions of dollars for the Kennedy Center of the Performing Arts ?

And what has this relief got to do with helping the American citizens all over this great country of ours,who are hurting right now ?

And a $57,000 pay raise for congress critters. Really?  But no surprise.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

10 hours ago, milehiiu said:

My pleasure.  Blessing going out to you and yours from the mile household.  As we are being told we are not allowed to go outside today.  Phone and e-mail governmental alerts. 

Well, I’m considered “essential” so I get to go to work still. Fortunately, all those non-essentials are staying home so the roads are fairly empty. It took me less time to get home during “rush hour” (5:30-ish) than it did at 5:45 this morning.

38 minutes ago, SteveS said:

Well, I’m considered “essential” so I get to go to work still. Fortunately, all those non-essentials are staying home so the roads are fairly empty. It took me less time to get home during “rush hour” (5:30-ish) than it did at 5:45 this morning.

May God bless you. My fellow Coloradoan.

2 hours ago, SteveS said:

Lock down started for my area on Wednesday morning.  Left at normal time and showed up 25 mins early.  So I took a nap before clocking in. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

@Lostin76

I'm in no way saying it isn't serious, where you are. But is it necessary to lock down my county with 0 confirmed cases at the moment, the same way as New York?

Edit: keep safe, really worry about what's going on there. 

I'm in Brooklyn and it's a ghost town here compared to normal. You can tell people are starting to freak out a little bit. When we walk the dog, and come across another person, we nod and give each other a very wide berth. Lots of people wearing masks. Car traffic is quiet and the only bikers are delivery guys.

Every place is different, but at one time we also had zero confirmed cases. And I agree, the lockdowns are hard and may seem like an overreaction, but if they keep you guys (hopefully) at zero cases, then they worked. Not ignoring your wife being unable to work though, that's a real issue with real consequences. But all it takes is one customer that's sick.

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I wonder if there is anyway to see a chronological, step by step list of which swamp creatures proposed/ added which pork items to this emergency stimulus package? I would love to see this and then advertise the hell out of it. 

I’m sure this is an elementary level comment, but I’d love to see rules implemented to only allow “clean” bills and single topic bills. 

I just saw that this package has 100 million for general aviation airports. I’m an aviator but don’t feel like this Bill is where that sort of thing should be “hidden”.  

At this point, I'm finding it hard not to think selfishly.  Both my wife and I have jobs where we can work from home.  The kids are not at school, so no danger in them picking it up there.  My main concern is my 78 year old mother who has a lot of those 'underlying conditions', but by the grace of God, she is locked down in her house and I feel good about that.

So, yes, while my 401K has taken a beating, the lockdown itself is working for me.  It's selfish, I know, but I'm content with waiting until the numbers start trending the other direction before things start to get back to normal.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

That's not accurate...

“The funding is to support the House’s capability to telework, including for the purchase of equipment and improvements to the network,” Evan Hollander told us in an email. “It will also provide for reimbursement costs for the staff of the House Child Care Center and covers the costs of the House food service contracts. In addition, it will support the Sergeant-At-Arms on continuity of operations matters.”

He added: “Moreover, Member salaries are funded through the Treasury pursuant to the Constitution and are not funded through appropriations.”

Now it can be argued that congress, as well as other government workers, receive too many entitlements (see above) but to say it's a "pay raise" is inaccurate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1