Coronavirus

Reacher

27 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I just saw that this package has 100 million for general aviation airports. I’m an aviator but don’t feel like this Bill is where that sort of thing should be “hidden”.  

You have to figure that those airports are losing money right now, too... 

A lot of this 2 trillion in spending is a crutch to get past this pandemic and keep the economy rolling for both the individuals and businesses... Small GA airports are a business, and an important one at that... 

While I do agree hiding "pork" in important legislation is BS, we simply don't have enough informed voters in this country to hold senators and congressmens feet to the fire to change that way of doing business. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Yesterday it was New Orleans as the new hotspot. Today Michigan. from 350 to 3000+cases in a week.

Gold courses ruled non essential in IL and must close.. Ridiculous, IMO. Very easy to social distance on a GC.

Regarding golf...at least here in Hamilton County....is because touching golf flags, using carts, retrieving balls from cups....all places where virus can be at. As well as nonessential travel rules i.e. going to a golf course isn't defined as essential. 

I could be wrong but that's the way I'm reading it.

52 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Regarding golf...at least here in Hamilton County....is because touching golf flags, using carts, retrieving balls from cups....all places where virus can be at. As well as nonessential travel rules i.e. going to a golf course isn't defined as essential. 

Our golf course here in Iowa is supposed to open Sunday with a few temporary rules.  The flag must remain in the cup, the cups have been elevated, no rakes, no ball washers, no cash, credit card only paying though the window.  No course coolers and no gathering on the deck. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Why isn't this spike happening in LA, Chicago, Houston or any other major metropolitan area with international airports and harbors with large immigrant populations is my question. 

Also, it really doesn't matter which way this goes, these draconian policies will set precedent for when this happens again, and it will.  It will be oh look numbers under projections so policy success or predictions were right but it could have been worse so policy successful.

I live in Martin county. We don't even have a hospital so really have no idea. The 4 surrounding counties have a total of 4 cases. Rural areas will be fine. 

I'm not sure how you can say that with the slightest degree of confidence; especially writing after the preceding sentence: "We don't even have a hospital". I've heard many interviews where epidemiologists are extremely worried about this spreading inward to the rural areas because they don't have the people, equipment and facilities to handle an outbreak. 

My business is suffering greatly too and I have the deepest sympathy for you and your wife. But take this scenario: your wife gets the virus at the grocery store and she spreads it to a few of her clients, they spread it to their families, their families spread it to others, etc. I know I don't need to educate you in exponential growth, but it just takes one person to unknowingly spread it. It doesn't matter if they are in a rural area or a city; the virus doesn't discriminate. And in a county with very few or no hospitals, that is extremely dangerous. I also understand your argument above about our constitutional rights and if people weren't contagious for long periods of time before exhibiting symptoms I'd 100% be on board with this line of thinking. But given the lack of testing kits available and the fact that people spread it on accident, I believe these precautions are necessary. At least until people can clear themselves somehow to go out in public, which I believe needs to happen sooner rather than later. The economy can't survive this. 

Overall, not saying you are right. Not saying you are wrong. This is a catch 22, no doubt. However, saying "rural areas will be fine" at this point given how quickly this has spread, IMO, is a huge underestimation.

• Like 1

@tdhoosier

We do have a hospital 20 mins to the west and another 20 mins to the south of us. Not sure how well equipped for this.  

Because it does spread very quickly I'm of the belief that it has been here since December. Myself, my wife, and about 2 dozen people we know were sick in Jan-Feb, all with similar symptoms, one of them being an ICU nurse who was sick late December who booked an appointment in late Dec.

Took me 3 weeks to recover.  Not saying it was this but definitely was not like the flu ive had twice in the past. 

This is why I think its important to start testing for anti bodies for anyone who was sick Dec-Feb. If we can get a better representation of how long and where it's been it would allow for a better response and better decisions. In my opinion anyway. 

I'm just stubborn and struggle when my routine changes rapidly.  Now that I've relaxed a bit I realize my house will be really clean and organized before this is over, so there is that. 

Edited by mrflynn03

57 minutes ago, BDB said:

Our golf course here in Iowa is supposed to open Sunday with a few temporary rules.  The flag must remain in the cup, the cups have been elevated, no rakes, no ball washers, no cash, credit card only paying though the window.  No course coolers and no gathering on the deck. 

Temps are up here in Central Indiana...supposed to hit 70's tomorrow but with that comes about 2-3 inches of rain and some strong storms. Not sure how much golf we could get in anyway over coming days. With that said...I guess I've waited this long. I can wait a little longer for local golf.

13 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Can somebody give me a layman's explanation of a logarithmic graph vs linear? The linear is simple enough, but how is the logarithmic graph calculated, what different information is gathered etc?

Screenshot_20200327-112425_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200327-112420_Chrome.jpg

Well, they're not the same.  Does that help?

Actually, I'm not really sure.  One thing that jumps out to me is that the logarithmic graph has a wider gap between dates on the X axis, which helps keep it flatter.  

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Makes sense.

1 hour ago, BDB said:

Makes more sense.

38 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Can somebody give me a layman's explanation of a logarithmic graph vs linear? The linear is simple enough, but how is the logarithmic graph calculated, what different information is gathered etc?

Screenshot_20200327-112425_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200327-112420_Chrome.jpg

If a scientist needs to measure billions or even trillions of molecule, they might just make a logarithmic scale with each number (i.e. from 0 to 1) increase representing an increase by a factor of 10. That would mean that going from 0 to 1 means increasing 10 units, and going from 0 to 2 means increasing 100 units, because 10^2 = 100. Numbers on a logarithmic scale are representative of a factor increase in real units.

Stolen from Google...I had a general idea but this from study.com said it much better.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

This is a catch 22

And that's it, isnt it?

Not to sound macabre or insensitive, but we (our government) has to make decisions that either give the appearance of "letting the chips fall where they may" by keeping society running the way it always does, and sacrificing lives in the process, OR taking away freedoms while at the same time grossly affecting the financial well being and quality of life for a large number of people.

I guess where most people stand is where they have the most skin in the game. I look @Billingsley99 and I would be petrified if I was in his shoes, having a son with a compromised immune system. He's also looking at a financial impact. But speaking as a father myself, the financial part would be insignificant if I were in his shoes, and I'm sure it is to him and his family...I'd want society locked up tighter than the nuts on a new bridge.

On the other hand, there are people who are going to come out if this absolutely ruined financially...I feel for them as well...it really sucks to see a lifetime of work get crushed in this vise.

So, I'm ok with shelling out the trillions it's going to take to strike that balance. To me, it's not political at all. Or it shouldn't be. We're Americans. We step up to the plate with courage and conviction. 

Let's just not worry about "blame" right now...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

When I mentioned how long will we tolerate our rights being violated, the linked article is the exact type of authoritarian BS I'm talking about. Threating fines or arrest for leaving your house to ride a bike or go for a walk. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8156337/amp/Chicago-threatens-arrest-fine-people-refusing-stay-home-order.html

Edited by mrflynn03

41 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And that's it, isnt it?

Not to sound macabre or insensitive, but we (our government) has to make decisions that either give the appearance of "letting the chips fall where they may" by keeping society running the way it always does, and sacrificing lives in the process, OR taking away freedoms while at the same time grossly affecting the financial well being and quality of life for a large number of people.

I guess where most people stand is where they have the most skin in the game. I look @Billingsley99 and I would be petrified if I was in his shoes, having a son with a compromised immune system. He's also looking at a financial impact. But speaking as a father myself, the financial part would be insignificant if I were in his shoes, and I'm sure it is to him and his family...I'd want society locked up tighter than the nuts on a new bridge.

On the other hand, there are people who are going to come out if this absolutely ruined financially...I feel for them as well...it really sucks to see a lifetime of work get crushed in this vise.

So, I'm ok with shelling out the trillions it's going to take to strike that balance. To me, it's not political at all. Or it shouldn't be. We're Americans. We step up to the plate with courage and conviction. 

Let's just not worry about "blame" right now...

I heard today one reason Trump was country reopened by April 11 (except for heavily hit areas) is the concern over drinking and drug abuse. Problems that will only get worse with more people home, unemployed, etc. In addition, the longer we are closed, the more businesses that will not reopen. Do we let tens of thousands fall victim to substance abuse and suicide or maybe a smaller # to the Coronavirus? The hope is with another week or 2 to ramp up supplies, testing, etc, we can get back to normal.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I heard today one reason Trump was country reopened by April 11 (except for heavily hit areas) is the concern over drinking and drug abuse. Problems that will only get worse with more people home, unemployed, etc. In addition, the longer we are closed, the more businesses that will not reopen. Do we let tens of thousands fall victim to substance abuse and suicide or maybe a smaller # to the Coronavirus? The hope is with another week or 2 to ramp up supplies, testing, etc, we can get back to normal.

I’ve got my 23 year old nephew living with me right now. He just took a job in Denver and is staying with me until he finds a place of his own. He is working from home and never seems to leave the basement. We have a history of slight depression in our family, so I’m going out of my way to get him to get out and ride (he is a cyclist who won the Little 5 his senior year) and walk the dogs with me just to get him out of the house. Neither of my kids are isolated like he is, they don’t live with us but are not alone. I completely understand the depression/substance abuse issue.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I also hope that we can get back to normal in two weeks, but honestly I just can't see it. NYC is still ramping up (over 5,600 new cases sine yesterday), other states are starting to emerge as potentially really bad cases and it's just getting stated in most states. I don't think our leadership is really understanding how things really are on the ground. Unemployment, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, suicide are all potential threats when something horrible like this happens, but we have to consider the very real threats that are actually happening right now as we type. People are dying right now.

3 minutes ago, SteveS said:

I’ve got my 23 year old nephew living with me right now. He just took a job in Denver and is staying with me until he finds a place of his own. He is working from home and never seems to leave the basement. We have a history of slight depression in our family, so I’m going out of my way to get him to get out and ride (he is a cyclist who won the Little 5 his senior year) and walk the dogs with me just to get him out of the house. Neither of my kids are isolated like he is, they don’t live with us but are not alone. I completely understand the depression/substance abuse issue.

Good for you for looking out for him. Getting outside and moving definitely helps. We all have to look out for each other.

27 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

Dang that  coronavirus ! It mostly affects old geezers like me ! To protect me , they have quarantined me to my room ! It sucks !!!ll!ll

HTD.  Quarantine sucks, but it's great to hear from you.  Hang in there. 

Things are looking up for our Hoosiers.  And, it's still fun to hate on the Smellermakers.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

When I mentioned how long will we tolerate our rights being violated, the linked article is the exact type of authoritarian BS I'm talking about. Threating fines or arrest for leaving your house to ride a bike or go for a walk. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8156337/amp/Chicago-threatens-arrest-fine-people-refusing-stay-home-order.html

Serious question.  Does anybody know if shootings in the South Side of Chicago, have gone down, as a result of the virus ? 

42 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Serious question.  Does anybody know if shootings in the South Side of Chicago, have gone down, as a result of the virus ? 

Read they have only had 1 homicide in the last 7 days.  First time since 2015 they went that long.  Crime in general is down. They suspect it will go back up with warmer weather. 

Italy first reported more than 100 deaths on a single day on March 8th.  Today, 19 days later, they reported 919, which is their highest total yet.  So, they still may not have peaked.

The United States first reported more than 100 deaths on a single day on March 22nd,  19 days from the 22nd is Friday, April 10th.  So, if the U.S. trends like Italy, we will still not have peaked before Easter weekend.

Even South Korea, whose number of cases is going down, is still seeing daily deaths at or near their peak.  

I don't consider China's numbers to be reliable, so it's hard to use them in a comparison.  

• Like 1