Coronavirus

Reacher

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Serious question.  Does anybody know if shootings in the South Side of Chicago, have gone down, as a result of the virus ? 

Weather has been lousy keeping a lid on things. Won't last long.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2020/3/26/21195066/chicago-shootings-12-shot-wednesday-march-25-gun-violence

Saw a pic of Sephora and some other Mag MIle shops boarded up to keep looters out. I think police are doing the bare minimum to keep from contacting people. Heard they are terribly prepared and got some donations of gloves and masks. 

Saw carjackings spiked in NYC after they released a bunch of prisoners.   Stay safe @Lostin76 !

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

When I mentioned how long will we tolerate our rights being violated, the linked article is the exact type of authoritarian BS I'm talking about. Threating fines or arrest for leaving your house to ride a bike or go for a walk. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8156337/amp/Chicago-threatens-arrest-fine-people-refusing-stay-home-order.html

Are you worried about stuff like this?  Please watch video-

These people are in the middle of nowhere! Let the guy walk his dog!

4 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Can somebody give me a layman's explanation of a logarithmic graph vs linear? The linear is simple enough, but how is the logarithmic graph calculated, what different information is gathered etc?

Screenshot_20200327-112425_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200327-112420_Chrome.jpg

The pretty blue line in the first chart goes up at an angle. In the second chart, it kind of just turns up. There you go.

So, does anyone know how many people die on Earth daily?  Around 57 million annually, 156,000 daily.  

Does anyone know how many people die in new york city daily? 152 on avg.  9.1 per hour.  

Does anyone know how many people in the United States of lower respiratory disease annually?  Around 160000 on avg.

How many people world wide have died from corona world wide that we know of? 23335.   1246 in the us as of right now on cdc.

Not saying don't take precautions so we don't overwhelm the intensive cares.  Do all the necessary precautions.  

In my small brain's opinion, this is reason to be extremely hopeful.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Read they have only had 1 homicide in the last 7 days.  First time since 2015 they went that long.  Crime in general is down. They suspect it will go back up with warmer weather. 

Thank you for the reply.  One homicide in 7 days. Is one too much.  However, I am relieved that homicides are down compared to the past. Regardless of the reason why.

My father owned a store in Miller, Indiana. North of Gary. Miller Beach. Indiana

Scroll down, and you will see a picture of the street that my father's store was on.

And he would take me with him all the time to a place to restore certain supplies. It was in South Chicago.  Never, ever felt threatened. 

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 1

My latest toilet paper story. 

it doesn’t get better than this!

My wife says she’s going to our local grocery store to get some TP because she heard through the grapevine they’re getting a shipment. 

She goes and comes back laughing. I say so what’s up. She says well they have a 1 per customer rule. I’m like, yeah, that’s what they’ve been doing, when they have any. She says no, a 1 per customer rule. Then she holds up 1, individually wrapped, roll of toilet paper. 1 roll. Lmfao 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

My wife says she’s going to our local grocery store to get some TP because she heard through the grapevine they’re getting a shipment. 

She goes and comes back laughing. I say so what’s up. She says well they have a 1 per customer rule. I’m like, yeah, that’s what they’ve been doing, when they have any. She says no, a 1 per customer rule. Then she holds up 1, individually wrapped, roll of toilet paper. 1 roll. Lmfao 

Uh wut? Just curious, how much $ was just one roll? Was it the thin nearly translucent stuff that’s in most commercial stalls?

7 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

You should have got off your lazy butt and went with her.  You guys could have scored two rolls.  

• Haha 3

I still cannot believe people are not taking this seriously.  Decatur county has a population of 82000 I think and have 61 cases and at least 2 deaths.  Decatur county and the surrounding counties are a hotspot right now. Ayden has not left our property in almost 3 weeks. Doing all we can to protect him. The most important thing we can do is to pray for our world,  our leaders and for this spread to slow and stop. A man I know well taught his older kids and his youngest daughter is in Aydens class, passed away 2 days ago. HSN PLEASE STAY SAFE. Wife has too long of a honey do list for me to check in.much. staying busy keeps my mind from going to dark places.  

Edited by Billingsley99
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, rico said:

CBS just reported that 10% of the deaths in Italy are health care workers.

It’s infuriating that these heroes in out country still can’t get the protective gear they need. Yesterday one of my friends who’s a nurse said that she came to the realization that when all is said and done she thinks a few of her colleagues will die. 

• Like 1

Just an FYI for any small business owners or self employed or part of the gig economy. Mark Cuban on twitter has been a phenomenal resource of information on how to apply or use programs.  Should be up and running by Wednesday it sounds like but contact your bank for payroll protection loan program.

Also in case people haven't done already. Call mortgage, student loans,etc.....and ask about forbearance programs. I'm hearing anywhere between 90 and 180 days of suspended payments are given immediately. Might take you 20-30 minutes of hold time on phone but well worth it.

• Thanks 3

Stepped outside of the house today, to do something I normally take for granted.  Took in the view of the Rocky Mountains. Overnight snow. And the mountains were majestic.

Found this short video from a hotel room, to give you all an idea of what I normally take for granted.

View from hotel - Rocky Mountains - Denver CO

And then it dawned on me.  Instead of texting us.  Friends, and neighbors are actually calling and talking to us over the phone.

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

It’s infuriating that these heroes in out country still can’t get the protective gear they need. Yesterday one of my friends who’s a nurse said that she came to the realization that when all is said and done she thinks a few of her colleagues will die. 

I'm on the peripheral but I work almost entirely in healthcare. Can't tell you the number of therapists, nurses,etc that I know and have spoken with these past couple of weeks....that go into nursing homes, ltc facilities, and of course hospitals constantly worrying about is this the day. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just an FYI for any small business owners or self employed or part of the gig economy. Mark Cuban on twitter has been a phenomenal resource of information on how to apply or use programs.  Should be up and running by Wednesday it sounds like but contact your bank for payroll protection loan program.

Also in case people haven't done already. Call mortgage, student loans,etc.....and ask about forbearance programs. I'm hearing anywhere between 90 and 180 days of suspended payments are given immediately. Might take you 20-30 minutes of hold time on phone but well worth it.

Cuban has been unreal the past few days. On tv a ton. Depth and breath of knowledge of what is going on. Has pledged to pay ALL of his employees in all the companies he owns.  Said he knows he will be taking a huge hit for it. But said he has been blessed, and feels the need to give back.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I still cannot believe people are not taking this seriously.  Decatur county has a population of 82000 I think and have 61 cases and at least 2 deaths.  Decatur county and the surrounding counties are a hotspot right now. Ayden has not left our property in almost 3 weeks. Doing all we can to protect him. The most important thing we can do is to pray for our world,  our leaders and for this spread to slow and stop. A man I know well taught his older kids and his youngest daughter is in Aydens class, passed away 2 days ago. HSN PLEASE STAY SAFE. Wife has too long of a honey do list for me to check in.much. staying busy keeps my mind from going to dark places.  

I'm sure this is of little comfort, but hopefully it takes some of the worry away.  According to map linked below, the 61 cases and 2 deaths appear to be more of a regional total than just Decatur county.  Decatur, Ripley, and Franklin counties together are where the 61 cases come from.  But, to your point, definitely a regional hotspot.  The numbers compared to the population density of the area are high.

https://www.wthr.com/article/see-where-confirmed-indiana-coronavirus-cases-are-interactive-map

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think everyone is taking it seriously, but between the disinformation (which is despicable by the way), the misinformation, and the idiotic "panic" that people are exhibiting through hoarding and the like, it's made this whole thing into a circus...

Now is not the time to panic...it's time to act. Do what you can do to keep your family and yourself safe (and I'm confident you're already doing that). Try to be a good neighbor and friend. I understand in some of the things I've personally done (give blood) there's a risk, but life is filled with risks. I'll take a calculated risk for what I think is the greater good.

I pray for your little boy and your family every day. I'm fortunate in the fact that beyond limiting our going out, this hasn't and probably won't affect my wife and me much, but I'm not blind to the fact that this is a total catastrophe for a lot of folks...

And I pray for them, too...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 6

53 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

My wife had her Chase account hacked this week. Chase fraud recognized it and froze the account. That's when the nightmare began. Bank closes early so we called the 1-800#. My wife worried all our accounts being drained. One call of an hour+, then transferred to be disconnected. Luckily? I had dialed a second # on a different phone. That call lasted 5 hours and 50 minutes before being disconnected. Next morning went into the branch and after 3 hours finally got set up with new accounts, debit cards, etc. Their call center in India was offline and they were shortstaffed. Their business continuity plan left a lot to be desired. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm on the peripheral but I work almost entirely in healthcare. Can't tell you the number of therapists, nurses,etc that I know and have spoken with these past couple of weeks....that go into nursing homes, ltc facilities, and of course hospitals constantly worrying about is this the day. 

Yep. My wife is a therapist and she is the most stressed than I have seen her in the 10 years we have been married. She was in tears the other night. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

4,000 respirators are sitting in a warehouse in NYC. Gov. Cuomo, when asked about it, responded by saying they weren't needed yet!

Go figure.....