Coronavirus

Reacher

Could have had dinner last night, by not going out,  with all we have stocked up in our freezer, etc.  However, decided to order take out from one of our favorite local restaurants instead. Called ahead.  Left a huge tip.

But..... here is the message that was attached to our take out bag :

We want to thank you for supporting our business and our family !

Your order helps us to keep our employees PAID during this extended time away from work.

From our entire family. Stay safe, Stay healthy and we will see you back for full service as SOON as possible !

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Cuomo was also just on tv holding up a bag valve mask calling it a respirator.

Yes. I saw that as well. Something about training individuals as to how to properly use it.  And that it is something that could  be hard for people to use for 24 hours straight.

Again. To be fair.  He said he hoped that it would not come to that. However. It is an option, should they run out of mechanical  ventilators.  Never been a fan of him or his brother.  But have to admit, he is doing a lot to get behind this thing in his state.

Hospital ship in Virginia.  About to head out to NYC.  Refurb that was not scheduled to be completed in weeks. Now completed. And will be docking in NYC soon.

Edited by milehiiu

2 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Yep. My wife is a therapist and she is the most stressed than I have seen her in the 10 years we have been married. She was in tears the other night. 

Very, very tough because depending on type of therapist the patients still need to be treated and the facility ownership still wants them to treat because it's the biggest money maker. Really, really tough scenario going on nationally. Really tests the commitment to the job....and I get it if people are saying the hell with this.

2 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Yep. My wife is a therapist and she is the most stressed than I have seen her in the 10 years we have been married. She was in tears the other night. 

Send her my blessings and a big thank you for all she is doing for your community.  AND.... give little keet a hug for me.  Can't be easy on him as well.

9 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Social Distancing Scorecard map! I must be helping Georgia keep from getting a D because I probably am cutting out about 90 miles a day during the work week!

https://www.unacast.com/covid19/social-distancing-scoreboard

So Thursday I had to go in to the Pharmacy to pick up some meds, and it seemed to me like it was business as usual?? All of the businesses seemed to have normal amounts of traffic!

I guess my perception wasn't wrong, my county scored an F!!!! 

• Haha 1

Our favorite neighborhood restaurant (Meme's Diner) has been selling off all their bottles of wine at cost. My wife and I were hesitant at first, b/c it felt exploitative to purchase, but then we quickly realized they are selling off their inventory out of necessity to keep paying their skeleton crew of employees. We just picked up another big order of three bags of coffee beans, some more wine, orange juice, and an order of their famous stuffed french toast.

You have to order online and then when you go there, they have a dry erase board with order numbers on it. You hold up your phone through the window and then they go get your order and leave it on a table just inside the closed door for you. It's a good system for social distancing, but it's heartbreaking knowing they are having to sell off their inventory. We know they most likely won't be back. And most others are already closed.

I'm almost sick to my stomach checking the numbers each day. Over 6,000 new cases in NY State since yesterday and now over 52,000 total cases - 29,000 of those here in NYC and over 8,000 of them here in Brooklyn. Bus drivers are starting to test positive as are MTA workers. It won't be long before the cases/deaths start piling up for front line workers - and not just health workers - grocery store checkout clerks, bodega clerks, delivery people, etc.

My boss is working on one of our 7 COVID-19 wards in our hospital and my other MD faculty are being called in to staff wards in the coming weeks. It feels like all around us illness and death is everywhere, and yet my wife and I are incredibly lucky so far. I've got a huge order of annuals and veggies arriving soon, so I can do some gardening on our fourth floor terrace. I've got an unlimited supply of records to listen to and books to read, and Netflix just released another season of Ozark. Which is great, b/c we just finished The Tiger King and need something else to watch.

We are both being very careful and washing our hands like maniacs. My wife has a history of lung collapses - three of them - so I am of course most worried about her catching this. We are both healthy though, especially her, as she's a runner/marathoner.

It just feels so weird to be relatively untouched as the numbers keep piling up. I almost feel guilty.

• Like 3

Only going out once a week for necessity items. Walmart had 1 case limit on water. For family of 5 we go through 1 a day. Especially with everyone home all the time. 2 people in line next to me each bought 1 of my cases and gave them to me. Did not let me pay. Ayden wanted taco bell brought home so to pay it forward I bought the car behind me. Tough times can bring out the best in people.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

My boss is working on one of our 7 COVID-19 wards in our hospital and my other MD faculty are being called in to staff wards in the coming weeks. I

God bless you your boss and all of you on the front lines!! In the mean time, my bosses boss is piss..d we as first time telecommuters aren't feeding him the Power Point Presentations and Excel spreadsheets he is demanding? I guess in perspective, doing what is needed now to help the company come out on the other side is also important!

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Header.jpg?format=1500w

I really appreciate your share. Lost in'76. Especially coming out of NYC.

Please tell your wife. That she is in my thoughts and prayers.

That's Meme's! Thank you, Mile we are hunkering down. Just started cocktail hour and have a jazz trio album on the turntable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

That's Meme's! Thank you, Mile we are hunkering down. Just started cocktail hour and have a jazz trio album on the turntable.

I knew you would appreciate the pic. Continue to hunker down. And take care, my fellow IU friend.  Don't forget to hug your wife for me tonight.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

In the mean time my Mimi's resteraunt posted this on their Facebook!

Image may contain: possible text that says 'THE ONLY WAY OUT ISTHROUGH mman'

Praying for the cook staff and wait staff and ownership of all resteraunt's! They are at the front lines of the economic disaster in front of us!

I like that!  A lot of the places around here are posting signs when they close that say "We love you. We miss you. See you on the other side."

• Like 2

Indiana has 31 deaths.  Texas has 30, but with almost twice the number of cases.  Indiana's death rate is high.

On the flip side, the death rates in Tennessee and North Carolina are very low.  Their numbers are worth watching if they stay that way.  Could be something environmental at play.  

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Indiana has 31 deaths.  Texas has 30, but with almost twice the number of cases.  Indiana's death rate is high.

On the flip side, the death rates in Tennessee and North Carolina are very low.  Their numbers are worth watching if they stay that way.  Could be something environmental at play.  

Have been watching IN death rate too. It is high at 2.5%. Did not expect that.

I also never thought that this is something I would see:

"New York City EMS received 6,406 medical 911 calls yesterday. It was the highest volume ever recorded in the city, surpassing the record that had been set on Sept. 11, 2001."

https://twitter.com/jameshohmann/status/1243353649570603008?s=20

Edited by Lostin76
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Absolutely,  Now, Russia, there is a country you can believe.  Only 4 deaths in Vladland.  :coffee:

Talking to my best friend today, even she complained that the government in Russia had failed in that they had issued a stop work policy without issuing a stay in place policy! She said the parks were FULL of people! I'm worried about my friend and those around her!!!!!!!

I for one am glad the liquor stores are still open. I appreciate that they are staying open.

I just came across this piece to remind us all of the people who are working with the public during this scary time. It's just one block in NYC, but it serves as a reminder of how much risk the people on the other side of the cash register are taking to deal with the public.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/opinion/sunday/covid-workers-nyc.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

• Like 1