Coronavirus

Reacher

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I’m starting to get word of people I know personally who have tested positive for Covid. Just got a phone call that one of them is on a ventilator fighting for his life. 

Horrible news. Don't know him. But do know you.  Sending out prayers to all the people you know.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Muckraker said:

Could you summarize? I don't want to visit an unknown link. 

No virus. I checked. She's dead, and I am here. Talking about his lady. 69 years young. Who drove rental cars from Indianapolis to St. Louis. Back and forth. Sure she picked up the virus by doing that.  Summary in a shell

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

No virus. I checked. She's dead, and I am here. Talking about his lady. 69 years young. Who drove rental cars from Indianapolis to St. Louis. Back and forth. Sure she picked up the virus by doing that.  Summary in a shell

Thanks, Mile. Sounds like a sad story. I'll be 67 at midnight, so, like you, I'm in the group that has the bullseye on their back. Stay safe, my friend. 

2 minutes ago, Muckraker said:

Thanks, Mile. Sounds like a sad story. I'll be 67 at midnight, so, like you, I'm in the group that has the bullseye on their back. Stay safe, my friend. 

Doing all we can in the mile household to stay safe. YOU do the same.  AND happy birthday !

Interestingly enough.  Had a relative tell me that rather than washing my hands and guessing how long I should take.... to say sing the happy birthday song, twice. 

Prayers to you and yours.

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Doing all we can in the mile household to stay safe. YOU do the same.  AND happy birthday !

Interestingly enough.  Had a relative tell me that rather than washing my hands and guessing how long I should take.... to say sing the happy birthday song, twice. 

Prayers to you and yours.

Thanks Mile. Best wishes to you and everyone else in beautiful Colorado. My youngest son's birthday is today, he missed being born on mine by 40 minutes... Impatient. 

43 minutes ago, Muckraker said:

Could you summarize? I don't want to visit an unknown link. 

It's the Washington Post, so it should be safe.

The thing that stood out to me, aside from the tragedy of it, is how woefully unprepared and uninformed the hospital was. No quarantine, no isolation for days. They didn't even test until she was nearly in critical condition.

10 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

It's the Washington Post, so it should be safe.

The thing that stood out to me, aside from the tragedy of it, is how woefully unprepared and uninformed the hospital was. No quarantine, no isolation for days. They didn't even test until she was nearly in critical condition.

True.  A sad story. Brought tears to my eyes.  He told her to quit. But they needed the money. And she loved to drive.  And he has no idea where her body is.

• Sad 1

Serious question?  Does anybody remember the H1N1 swine flu pandemic that started January 2009? Probably not. Over 12,000 Americans died from swine flu. 

Right now, the data available is lacking and so unreliable that calculating infection or mortality rates is going to be wildly inaccurate.

In my opinion, the only useful information can be gleaned from testing numbers.

So, take the positive test numbers divided by total tests.  I have been doing this for 14 days now.  The number of people testing positive from total test done is hovering around 15%.

So assuming enough testing is done, we should expect about 55-65 million Americans test positive and a much lower than 1.4% mortality rate.  Probably will be about 0.5% when this is over.

It really shouldn't surprise anybody that 55-65 million Americans will contract this virus and 30-40,000 will succumb to it. It's just fundamental and an unfortunate part of life. 

Edited by mrflynn03

7 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Serious question?  Does anybody remember the H1N1 swine flu pandemic that started January 2009? Probably not. Over 12,000 Americans died from swine flu. 

Right now, the data available is lacking and so unreliable that calculating infection or mortality rates is going to be wildly inaccurate.

In my opinion, the only useful information can be gleaned from testing numbers.

So, take the positive test numbers divided by total tests.  I have been doing this for 14 days now.  The number of people testing positive from total test done is hovering around 15%.

So assuming enough testing is done, we should expect about 55-65 million Americans test positive and a much lower than 1.4% mortality rate.  Probably will be about 0.5% when this is over.

It really shouldn't surprise anybody that 55-65 million Americans will contract this virus and 30-40,000 will succumb to it. It's just fundamental and an unfortunate part of life. 

I don't think the testing data can be extrapolated like that as currently it is only the very sick and celebrities getting tested. 

I live in Bloomington and my ex (who I stay in close contact with as we are co-parenting a teenager still) holds a relatively high-level position at IU. She is part of several teams within the university administration trying to navigate this mess. The primary concern, of course, is the health and safety of all students, faculty, and staff, which the university as a whole is doing the best that they can in that regard. However, she is really feeling the stress of this event and has broken down in tears several times over the last couple of weeks. She believes, as do I, that IU will survive this, but it will come out on the other side looking VERY, VERY different. Most or all of the regional campuses may not make it. Entire academic departments may be shuttered. And who knows what will happen to the athletics and other extracurricular departments. As a resident of Bloomington, I fear that the entire complexion of the town will be drastically altered in the coming months/years. The economy here revolves almost entirely around the university, and without knowing if/when students will be able to return to campus, I'm guessing that Kirkwood Avenue will have a lot of empty storefronts very soon. I keep those who depend on restaurant or retail work for their livelihoods in my thoughts every moment of each day. 

I write this as a member of HSN because, like me, I know that all of us here are either IU alums or proud supporters of IU athletics and the university itself and want to share what I'm seeing/hearing as someone very connected to the university and city of Bloomington. If I catch wind of any major developments, I'll be sure to share them here. 

Stay safe and healthy everyone, and GO HOOSIERS!

• Like 1

Even people not very sick getting tested here.  We’ve had swabs come in from people with only “a fever in the last 14 days” and every other box checked ‘No’. Seem to be able to be tested if you just want it. Maybe that will be the way this is going, though not sure if that is that great. I think they should stick with the ‘only showing symptoms’.  

i can see some people feeling fine but getting tested.  These people have a negative test and then go about being less careful with what they do thinking they are fine.  Then in the next few days they get the virus but think it’s something else because “I tested negative” so they don’t seek help......

My hospital not seeing much yet. Last week we had maybe 7-10 patients on the floor , TOTAL, and  ER was quiet compared to normal. Have to see what this upcoming week is like. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rico said:

I see Cuomo is upset again...seems certain states are "picking" on New York, especially Rhode Island.

To be honest, I do think stopping all cars that have NY license plates and sending the National Guard door to door is a little extreme...

• Haha 2

Love checking in on this thread. Information/data/opinions have been great. Keep it coming.

I was listening to a couple guys on radio yesterday and they brought up something I guess I haven't really thought of. When the government or medical professionals or whomever you choose to get information from gives the all clear....are you just going to jump into attending sporting events (sport radio guys were hosting so all sports) as a fan? Or will you just be happy sports is on the tube again?

Must admit 18 days ago I was so happy IU was playing Nebraska and didn't get all the concern. Since that time obviously the world has changed and my opinion has changed. Even when we get the all clear I think I'll be hesitant to attend large gatherings (obviously sports) for the first couple months out of caution. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BEKA said:

I live in Bloomington and my ex (who I stay in close contact with as we are co-parenting a teenager still) holds a relatively high-level position at IU. She is part of several teams within the university administration trying to navigate this mess. The primary concern, of course, is the health and safety of all students, faculty, and staff, which the university as a whole is doing the best that they can in that regard. However, she is really feeling the stress of this event and has broken down in tears several times over the last couple of weeks. She believes, as do I, that IU will survive this, but it will come out on the other side looking VERY, VERY different. Most or all of the regional campuses may not make it. Entire academic departments may be shuttered. And who knows what will happen to the athletics and other extracurricular departments. As a resident of Bloomington, I fear that the entire complexion of the town will be drastically altered in the coming months/years. The economy here revolves almost entirely around the university, and without knowing if/when students will be able to return to campus, I'm guessing that Kirkwood Avenue will have a lot of empty storefronts very soon. I keep those who depend on restaurant or retail work for their livelihoods in my thoughts every moment of each day. 

I write this as a member of HSN because, like me, I know that all of us here are either IU alums or proud supporters of IU athletics and the university itself and want to share what I'm seeing/hearing as someone very connected to the university and city of Bloomington. If I catch wind of any major developments, I'll be sure to share them here. 

Stay safe and healthy everyone, and GO HOOSIERS!

Very much enjoyed reading your share.  Thanks.

I think we’ll slowly return to a mostly normal environment. 

it’s extremely hard on many businesses, small and large, and universities : schools, etc. We HAVE to get back to living and working normally. 

This is a virus. It is not the plague. We cannot function as a society, locally or globally, shuttered away in fear. 

Part of the problem is how our technology now drives our interactions - we’re a touch - based society and economy, really globally. Touch pads everywhere, atm’s, checkout counters, etc., smart phones, etc., and we travel / interact now on a much higher scale then ever before. 

So we can try to implement better hygiene and sanitary practices, while we develop vaccines and treatments (it will happen for this latest virus), but the reality is viruses like this one will continue to develop in this world economy. And crass as it may sound people are going to get sick, at times, but you can’t just hunker down endlessly and let hundreds of thousands of people, or millions, lose their livelihoods, education, sports, and for that matter social interaction. This will end up like the flu, it’s a reality of living

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

it’s extremely hard on many businesses, small and large, and universities : schools, etc. We HAVE to get back to living and working normally. 

This is a virus. It is not the plague. We cannot function as a society, locally or globally, shuttered away in fear. 

Part of the problem is how our technology now drives our interactions - we’re a touch - based society and economy, really globally. Touch pads everywhere, atm’s, checkout counters, etc., smart phones, etc., and we travel / interact now on a much higher scale then ever before. 

So we can try to implement better hygiene and sanitary practices, while we develop vaccines and treatments (it will happen for this latest virus), but the reality is viruses like this one will continue to develop in this world economy. And crass as it may sound people are going to get sick, at times, but you can’t just hunker down endlessly and let hundreds of thousands of people, or millions, lose their livelihoods, education, sports, and for that matter social interaction. This will end up like the flu, it’s a reality of living

Warm weather will slow it...

Abundance of tests will help us pinpoint pockets...

People who have had the virus from mild to severe will develop immunity...

Vaccines and treatments will be readily available sooner than we think...

I'm not saying we're over the hump yet, but we're getting there...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Between Friday at 4 p.m. and Saturday at 4 p.m., 222 people died in NYC from the novel coronavirus, according to statistics released by the NYC Department of Health.

2 hours ago, rd726 said:

Even people not very sick getting tested here.  We’ve had swabs come in from people with only “a fever in the last 14 days” and every other box checked ‘No’. Seem to be able to be tested if you just want it. Maybe that will be the way this is going, though not sure if that is that great. I think they should stick with the ‘only showing symptoms’.  

i can see some people feeling fine but getting tested.  These people have a negative test and then go about being less careful with what they do thinking they are fine.  Then in the next few days they get the virus but think it’s something else because “I tested negative” so they don’t seek help......

My hospital not seeing much yet. Last week we had maybe 7-10 patients on the floor , TOTAL, and  ER was quiet compared to normal. Have to see what this upcoming week is like. 

Looks like the key is early testing and then the drug cocktail upon first symptoms- 

Thought this article on an ER Drs perspective interesting- https://www.citizenfreepress.com/breaking/er-doctor-offers-lessons-on-treating-covid-19-patients-cheat-sheet-for-physicians-excellent-read/

Edited by Reacher

7 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Looks like the key is early testing and then the drug cocktail upon first symptoms- 

Thought this article on an ER Drs perspective interesting- https://www.citizenfreepress.com/breaking/er-doctor-offers-lessons-on-treating-covid-19-patients-cheat-sheet-for-physicians-excellent-read/

Thats been my thought the whole time..  test and treat even if u arent showing severe symptoms?  Waiting till a person has one foot in grave seems dumb as shit to me.  

"A cluster of three counties in rural Indiana have surging rates of confirmed cases. One of them, Decatur, population 26,000, has 30 cases with one confirmed death and another suspected, said Sean Durbin, the county’s public health emergency preparedness coordinator. Several cases were traced to large gatherings earlier in the month, including a religious retreat and a high school basketball tournament."

https://apnews.com/cb56e50250328b923776408386b3a82a

In hindsight, shutting down the BTT was probably the right call. 

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

I don't think the testing data can be extrapolated like that as currently it is only the very sick and celebrities getting tested. 

I take that as very positive. We're taking in and testing the most sick people with fever and respiratory distress all the other symptoms etc and only 15% of those are coming out positive that is very good news.  

• Like 2