Coronavirus

Reacher

Just checked.  Indiana has 32 deaths.  I looked up Indiana death rates.  For chronic lower respiratory disease in the state of Indiana an avg of around 12 people die DAILY.  Until the media starts giving us the entire story along with preexisting conditions fear will continue to rise.  87 people have died from the flu this season(cdc says fall and winter).

Still think the social distancing, working from home, and taking all other precautions is necessary but the end of this will come quickly if we stick with data over fear.  Last I read the 3 best things for prevention are still, washing hands, staying home or away from sick (quarantine), and don't touch your face.   

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, BEKA said:

I live in Bloomington and my ex (who I stay in close contact with as we are co-parenting a teenager still) holds a relatively high-level position at IU. She is part of several teams within the university administration trying to navigate this mess. The primary concern, of course, is the health and safety of all students, faculty, and staff, which the university as a whole is doing the best that they can in that regard. However, she is really feeling the stress of this event and has broken down in tears several times over the last couple of weeks. She believes, as do I, that IU will survive this, but it will come out on the other side looking VERY, VERY different. Most or all of the regional campuses may not make it. Entire academic departments may be shuttered. And who knows what will happen to the athletics and other extracurricular departments. As a resident of Bloomington, I fear that the entire complexion of the town will be drastically altered in the coming months/years. The economy here revolves almost entirely around the university, and without knowing if/when students will be able to return to campus, I'm guessing that Kirkwood Avenue will have a lot of empty storefronts very soon. I keep those who depend on restaurant or retail work for their livelihoods in my thoughts every moment of each day. 

I write this as a member of HSN because, like me, I know that all of us here are either IU alums or proud supporters of IU athletics and the university itself and want to share what I'm seeing/hearing as someone very connected to the university and city of Bloomington. If I catch wind of any major developments, I'll be sure to share them here. 

Stay safe and healthy everyone, and GO HOOSIERS!

I live just a few miles from the Southeast campus in New Albany, so I'm curious as to why you feel the regional campuses are at risk?  If anything, I think the damage to the economy will have people looking for cheaper alternatives for a college education.  Saving on room and board costs would seem to be an attractive alternative.

We've all heard about how South Korea has managed this about as well as any country.  If you look at their numbers, while they have no longer have the days of a huge number of new cases, they aren't exactly eliminating new cases either.  On March 12th, they reported 114 new cases.  Two and a half weeks later, on March 28th, they reported 146.  Daily deaths have consistently been between 5-10.

So, if we try and extrapolate that 'success' to the U.S., we have to consider that the U.S. has about 6 times the population.  That means, after the peak in the U.S., the country can expect about 750 new cases and 50-60 deaths daily.  That appears to be the new reality until either the weather knocks this thing down, or there is a vaccine.  

Edited by 5fouls

19 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

We've all heard about how South Korea has managed this about as well as any country.  If you look at their numbers, while they have no longer have the days of a huge number of new cases, they aren't exactly eliminating new cases either.  On March 12th, they reported 114 new cases.  Two and a half weeks later, on March 28th, they reported 146.  Daily deaths have consistently been between 5-10.

So, if we try and extrapolate that 'success' to the U.S., we have to consider that the U.S. has about 6 times the population.  That means, after the peak in the U.S., the country can expect about 750 new cases and 50-60 deaths daily.  That appears to be the new reality until either the weather knocks this thing down, or there is a vaccine.  

I think their (South Korea) key has been lots of early testing and treatment. With the curve flattened, the fatality rate is not increasing due to an overburdened medical system. 

I agree that this will not go away. Eventually everyone gets it. Hopefully most get the vaccine. It all about managing it now. Hopefully a few weeks is enough to get the tests out and find an effective treatment so we can begin a return to normal.

Very concerned about the media, cities and states that are floating 2 months or more of lock down. I see that doing considerable more damage, on many fronts, than the virus itself. I do think the elderly will have to social distance, at a minimum, until a vaccine is out.

• Like 1

Despite cancelling classes days ago. And closing up. Our local high school.  Cherry Creek is still planning on conducting graduation ceremonies in May. And planning to live stream the ceremony on their sports channel.

Senior Information Cherry Creek

What's going on with your local high schools ?

Edited by milehiiu

8 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I think their (South Korea) key has been lots of early testing and treatment. With the curve flattened, the fatality rate is not increasing due to an overburdened medical system. 

I agree that this will not go away. Eventually everyone gets it. Hopefully most get the vaccine. It all about managing it now. Hopefully a few weeks is enough to get the tests out and find an effective treatment so we can begin a return to normal.

Very concerned about the media, cities and states that are floating 2 months or more of lock down. I see that doing considerable more damage, on many fronts, than the virus itself. I do think the elderly will have to social distance, at a minimum, until a vaccine is out.

Your first paragraph explained exactly why we will be in lockdown for months...  its only getting worse, not better. 

We open it up, and the hospitals will be overwhelmed for a very long time. And many unnecessary deaths.

Personally I dont see the youngest kids ever seeing what our "normal" is ever again

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Unfortunately this virus is likely going to be endemic in the population and be seasonal like the flu, even with a vaccine.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sciencealert.com/the-new-coronavirus-could-circulate-forever-says-experts

That article is from March 2nd. And I thought that more recently scientists are learning that one you’ve had it, you are immune...like the chicken pox. 

39 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

That article is from March 2nd. And I thought that more recently scientists are learning that one you’ve had it, you are immune...like the chicken pox. 

That's what I am hearing as well.

Things change over time.  Let's sit back and wait as to what shakes out in the long run.  In the meantime. Stay safe Hoosier Sports Nation.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I live just a few miles from the Southeast campus in New Albany, so I'm curious as to why you feel the regional campuses are at risk?  If anything, I think the damage to the economy will have people looking for cheaper alternatives for a college education.  Saving on room and board costs would seem to be an attractive alternative.

It's not what I feel, it's just what I'm hearing second hand. I honestly don't know and really hope this isn't the case, but it could have something to do with the way the state finances their public universities and the general economic malaise that will most likely get worse before it gets better. Again, this is just what I've heard and am praying that the IU system stays intact across the board. 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Better read up on the chicken pox a little more...just sayin'

Ohio governor announced Ohio company, Battelle Labs, is getting FDA approval for machine that can sterilize used N95 masks up to 20 times for reuse.  Machines will be able to turnaround 80k masks per day.  Battelle has built more than one machine and is sending them to hotspots in NY, NYC, Seattle, Washington, DC.  More being built also.  I would link story, but I'm inept.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Ohio governor announced Ohio company, Battelle Labs, is getting FDA approval for machine that can sterilize used N95 masks up to 20 times for reuse.  Machines will be able to turnaround 80k masks per day.  Battelle has built more than one machine and is sending them to hotspots in NY, NYC, Seattle, Washington, DC.  More being built also.  I would link story, but I'm inept.

mile to your rescue.  Thanks for being a GREAT HSN member :

Battelle CCDS Critical Care Decontamination System for PPE Decontamination

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

POTUS wrote a letter to the governor's and in it mentioned working on doing a county by county risk assessment.  The idea being less or unaffected counties can go back to some level of normalcy while encouraging precautions.  Hope the figure it out fast. 

That becomes very tricky when someone works in a county that has been cleared, but lives in one that has not.  

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Dont know how many are into 90's country but Joe Diffie died today of coronavirus complications.  

Just saw that Russel Wilson is donating one million dollars to the citizens of Seattle, Washington... to provide for meals for them.  This is what America is all about.

Washington has been hard hit by this virus. So... thank you Russel and your wife for this generous contribution

Side note. .... My mother was born and raised in Tacoma, Washington. Before her father moved her and the rest of her family to Gary, Indiana. 

Amazing how we have all come together.

God bless HSN.