Coronavirus

Reacher

17 minutes ago, rico said:

I was at Riker's for 2 weeks one time.  I had sirens going off all the time...in my head.  LOL

I set up some modulars there a while back.

Good thing you were just visiting. Probably pretty intense even then.

11 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I am happy I am retired and really don't need to go anywhere other than the grocery store.

My wife on the other hand works at Bronson Hospital in Kalamazoo. She gets to see what is going on first hand. 

My thoughts are with your wife who is on the front lines. Is she holding up okay?

Just now, Lostin76 said:

Good thing you were just visiting. Probably pretty intense even then.

My thoughts are with your wife who is on the front lines. Is she holding up okay?

Thank you. So far she is doing fine. She is working some expanded hours but she has said it will get worse before it gets better.

47 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Been to dog shows and car shows there many times...big facility...hope it helps...

Jack Brickhouse - Wikipedia

Been to many Car Shows at McCormick Place.

And prior to that going  to the International Ampithetator (Sp ?) close to the Chicago Stock Yards for the Chicago Car Show.

Who here remembers watching the pro team .... the Chicago Zephyrs.... prior to the Chicago Bulls.... that played home games at the IA. ?  Watched them  on WGN.  Jack Brickhouse who did Chicago Cubs games.. did announce the Zephyrs games. Was a time when WGN and Jack broadcast EVERY home Cubs and White Sox games

1962–63 Chicago Zephyrs season 

Edited by milehiiu

Well, Harris County (Houston) just extended the work from home order (a Stay Home / Work Safe order) through April. Wonderful. An entire month of trying to work from home and trying to keep staff and junior attorneys employed, and stay busy, while businesses remain shuttered and thousands lose their jobs. What a terrible state we’re in now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Muddy River said:

Has anyone heard or read anywhere about how this virus affects smokers?  Is a smoker at greater risk of dying?  It seems a logical connection, but I haven't seen a single thing mentioned about it.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/smoking-or-vaping-may-increase-the-risk-of-a-severe-coronavirus-infection1/

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Well, Harris County (Houston) just extended the work from home order (a Stay Home / Work Safe order) through April. Wonderful. An entire month of trying to work from home and trying to keep staff and junior attorneys employed, and stay busy, while businesses remain shuttered and thousands lose their jobs. What a terrible state we’re in now. 

Yeah man, it's rough. My wife is a one-woman shop and lost all her clients (today actually) because of this. I don't envy anyone that has to worry about other people on top of themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Muddy River said:

Has anyone heard or read anywhere about how this virus affects smokers?  Is a smoker at greater risk of dying?  It seems a logical connection, but I haven't seen a single thing mentioned about it.

Smokers 2.4 times more likely to get serious infection from COVID-19

People who smoke are 2.4 times more likely to have severe symptoms from COVID-19 compared to those who do not smoke, according to a recent study published by the New England Journal of Medicine.

15 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Been to many Car Shows at McCormick Place.

And prior to that going  to the International Ampithetator (Sp ?) close to the Chicago Stock Yards for the Chicago Car Show.

Who here remembers watching the pro team .... the Chicago Zephyrs.... prior to the Chicago Bulls.... that played home games at the IA. ?  Watched them  on WGN.  Jack Brickhouse who did Chicago Cubs games.. did announce the Zephyrs games. Was a time when WGN and Jack broadcast EVERY home Cubs and White Sox games

1962–63 Chicago Zephyrs season 

A little too young to remember the Zephyrs, but I do know they're the Washington Wizards now (after a stop in Baltimore as the Bullets and a PC name change).

But I spent many days listening to the great Jack Brickhouse, Vince Lloyd, and "The Good Kid" Lou Boudreaux doing Cub games. Probably a big reason I'm a Cub fan...

Edited by IUFLA

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I haven't followed this thread as closely as I should, but I know there were some rural folks who were seemingly not that worried, The reality is it could devastate rural areas. Please be safe.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/rural-america-hardest-hit-by-covid-19-outbreak

Interesting read.  I guess I am going to have to re-think what the term "rural" really means.

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

A little too "young" to remember the Zephyrs, but I do know they're the Washington Wizards now (after a stop in Baltimore as the Bullets and a PC name change).

But I spent many days listening to the great Jack Brickhouse, Vince Lloyd, and "The Good Kid" Lou Boudreaux doing Cub games. Probably a big reason I'm a Cub fan...

"Hey Hey"

• Like 1

A little context for virus...

Just saw some charts on the number of cases in Europe, specifically Italy, Spain, France, etc and the USA.

Dr Birx stated in a recent presser that the US is about 5 times the size of Italy (in population). Italy has about 110k cases and a horrible death rate. The US has about 125K cases (so far), and the number will go up with more testing. But it seems like our hunkering down is having a positive effect.

Our curve has not peaked, but in my mind I think we're mitigating a lot of cases that would have been much worse than they already are. Hopefully, we can stay under 300K cases. We'll see.

11 minutes ago, DWB said:

Just saw some charts on the number of cases in Europe, specifically Italy, Spain, France, etc and the USA.

Dr Birx stated in a recent presser that the US is about 5 times the size of Italy (in population). Italy has about 110k cases and a horrible death rate. The US has about 125K cases (so far), and the number will go up with more testing. But it seems like our hunkering down is having a positive effect.

Our curve has not peaked, but in my mind I think we're mitigating a lot of cases that would have been much worse than they already are. Hopefully, we can stay under 300K cases. We'll see.

After listening to the President's briefing yesterday, I'm not sure staying under 300,000 cases is feasible.

The projection as of now is between 100,000 and 240,000 fatalities from this virus. Very sad...

Hunker down folks...the next month is going to be bumpy...

15 minutes ago, DWB said:

Unfortunately those numbers aren’t realistic at this point. 125k cases is old info. The real time numbers Already has it up to 189k right now. We’ll be up to 300k by Friday. This is still going up at a fast rate and not expected to peak until another 2-3 weeks. We’re Probably looking at closer to 1-2 million cases. 

6 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah man, it's rough. My wife is a one-woman shop and lost all her clients (today actually) because of this. I don't envy anyone that has to worry about other people on top of themselves. 

Sorry to hear that KoB, I hope this doesn’t last too long, and she gets her clients back soon 

• Like 1