Coronavirus

Reacher

6 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah man, it's rough. My wife is a one-woman shop and lost all her clients (today actually) because of this. I don't envy anyone that has to worry about other people on top of themselves. 

For all those who are small business owners or have spouses that are, make sure to look at the relief available to us through the stimulus package. 

This basically calculates out to a loan that is 2.5 x your average monthly payroll (feb 2019 - Jan 2020) plus other qualifying expenses, which will be forgiven if you retain your employees. Free money to keep small business owners afloat while paying themselves and their employees. Obviously run it past an accountant to make sure it’d apply in your situation. 

https://www.uschamberfoundation.org/sites/default/files/C3_COVID_EmergencyLoanGuide.pdf

tagging @Hoosierhoopster @mrflynn03

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can you believe there are still those that think this is overblown.  Yes, we lost a lot with swine flu or H1N1, but did we lose them nearly this fast?

It is nice to see how some local leaders have stepped up, our KY gov has done a great job on this so far.  But we still have to remind the Louisville mayor he is in charge of the CITY, as we still have large gathering 'parties' in some city parks.

Just venting as it feels like I haven't spoken to anyone but my wife in weeks. And I suspect she is plotting a hostile takeover

11 hours ago, Muddy River said:

Has anyone heard or read anywhere about how this virus affects smokers?  Is a smoker at greater risk of dying?  It seems a logical connection, but I haven't seen a single thing mentioned about it.

I also wondered the same thing about military personnel who served overseas especially during the Vietnam War.

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Unfortunately those numbers aren’t realistic at this point. 125k cases is old info. The real time numbers Already has it up to 189k right now. We’ll be up to 300k by Friday. This is still going up at a fast rate and not expected to peak until another 2-3 weeks. We’re Probably looking at closer to 1-2 million cases. 

I thought 300k was too optimistic as well, but I sure hope you're wrong on 1-2M. (you probably are not, but I hope you are wrong)

2 hours ago, ColtsIUDomer said:

Can you believe there are still those that think this is overblown.  Yes, we lost a lot with swine flu or H1N1, but did we lose them nearly this fast?

It is nice to see how some local leaders have stepped up, our KY gov has done a great job on this so far.  But we still have to remind the Louisville mayor he is in charge of the CITY, as we still have large gathering 'parties' in some city parks.

Just venting as it feels like I haven't spoken to anyone but my wife in weeks. And I suspect she is plotting a hostile takeover

Did you also see where a legislator in the Ky government is bringing up a bill that anyone or business can sue the governor because of the closures of various businesses?

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Did you also see where a legislator in the Ky government is bringing up a bill that anyone or business can sue the governor because of the closures of various businesses?

I did see that. The lady that sponsored it, while i'm sure was hounded by some business leaders, is getting pounded with negative public opinion on this. 

The response from our Governor "you want to sue me for trying to save lives? I'm a former lawyer, bring it on'. People loved this. He has afternoon news briefings everyday that have raised quite a following, I do have to commend the way he is taking TO the people.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Anyone see the latest numbers for Indiana? The number of cases jumped almost by 500 from yesterday and deaths went up by 16......

I've been doing rough "back of the envelope" calculations each day since the Indiana Department of Health started providing and updating their daily COVID dashboard. From what I've seen, positive results compared to the total number of tests administered have been hovering around 15%-16% (it spiked to over 17% yesterday) for the past couple of weeks. The death rate is concerning as it is currently sitting at around 2.5%, which is high. I suck at stats, but given that we've only tested a tiny fraction of the state's overall population, and that this thing is at least 2-3 weeks away from its peak, I'm worried that the death rate will be...not good. 

I'm in good health and have been taking all the normal precautions, but I live in a neighborhood that has plenty of older folks in the "higher risk" category, so I've been trying to check in to make sure they're okay as much as I can. I hope these numbers start to level out/flatten sooner rather than later, but I've been mentally preparing for the opposite to happen. Stay safe everyone and keep washing those hands!

Edited by BEKA
forgot some words
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

For all those who are small business owners or have spouses that are, make sure to look at the relief available to us through the stimulus package. 

This basically calculates out to a loan that is 2.5 x your average monthly payroll (feb 2019 - Jan 2020) plus other qualifying expenses, which will be forgiven if you retain your employees. Free money to keep small business owners afloat while paying themselves and their employees. Obviously run it past an accountant to make sure it’d apply in your situation. 

https://www.uschamberfoundation.org/sites/default/files/C3_COVID_EmergencyLoanGuide.pdf

As a law firm we’re aware of the stimulus bill and are advising clients but thanks. Expect clarifications going forward 

9 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I'm really curious what's going to be available. My wife and I are both self employed (LLC/Sole Practitioner). Without getting into specifics in terms of income or expenses...I really hope there's something for us who don't have a payroll. If not I guess that's the deal....we've always lived pretty frugal but I wouldn't mind knowing there's some help for people like us if ever needed. 

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm really curious what's going to be available. My wife and I are both self employed (LLC/Sole Practitioner). Without getting into specifics in terms of income or expenses...I really hope there's something for us who don't have a payroll. If not I guess that's the deal....we've always lived pretty frugal but I wouldn't mind knowing there's some help for people like us if ever needed. 

Read earlier the stimulus bill opened up unemployment insurance for self employed/sole proprietors and increased the amount per week to $600 for 4 months starting retroactively March 8th.  Still waiting for the state to get things updated online. 

Edit: the $600 is in addition to what the state may pay. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Read earlier the stimulus bill opened up unemployment insurance for self employed/sole proprietors and increased the amount per week to $600 for 4 months starting retroactively March 8th.  Still waiting for the state to get things updated online. 

It's funny. I get more useful information from this thread than actual sites or programs. Do appreciate your input and updates!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

It's funny. I get more useful information from this thread than actual sites or programs. Do appreciate your input and updates!

No problem.  My wife knows several other therapists and they have been sharing information. That's where I heard first then looked up the details. Now it's just waiting and checking the unemployment website until they get things going. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Wouldn’t this count? Per document:

For Sole Proprietors, Independent Contractors, and Self-Employed Individuals: The sum of payments of any compensation to or income of a sole proprietor or independent contractor that is a wage, commission, income, net earnings from self-employment, or similar compensation and that is in an amount that is not more than $100,000 in one year, as pro-rated for the covered period.

Take your average monthly wages or however you pay yourself x 2.5. 

*This is why I use an accountant.

The site crashed yesterday so a lot of people seem to be taking advantage. 

Edited by tdhoosier