Coronavirus

Reacher

17 hours ago, 5fouls said:

My understanding is that the governors of Michigan and Nevada originally opposed some of the unproven treatments that had been made public during the President's updates.  I'm not going to speculate on their reasons. but delays of just 1 or 2 days make a difference. For some family.  

The governor of Michigan is an idiot. She is playing politics in hopes of being the vice president nominee since Biden said he would nominate a woman. She is in way over her head!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I don't have an opinion either way because I'm not an expert and I'd rather have the experts figure this out. I'd also rather listen to experts as @Lostin76 suggested. Listen to the scientists, not the pundits or politicians. 

I'd rather listen to my personal Dr instead of a politician. Sadly, seems like that option is being taken off the table in many places.

I just came across this site which gives state by state breakdowns for the expected peak-

http://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Regarding Hydroxychloroquine, I just find it amazing that everybody has turned into a scientist, doctor or pharmacist overnight. Whether it's reporters, politicians, economists or just people in general. This is getting a little silly. 

I don't buy that this is political either. Peter Navarro who is an economist in Trump's administration just said this morning theres is a debate with in the White House about this drug....a debate amongst everybody who is on the same side politically. It's not political; it's weighing risk vs. reward when nobody has any conclusive proof of the drug's side effects or its success. The facts are that it may have harmed some patients, it may have helped some patients or it might not have done anything at all. This is anybody really knows right now and to suggest otherwise is not truthful. 

It's not an easy call. There's valid points on both sides of the issue. It's expected that there'd be some disagreement in this scenario. 

I don't have an opinion either way because I'm not an expert and I'd rather have the experts figure this out. I'd also rather listen to experts as @Lostin76 suggested. Listen to the scientists, not the pundits or politicians. 

There are tons of clinical trials ongoing right now for drugs and treatments and a bunch for this drug. It looks like a clinical trial in Sweden was halted early by the DSMB b/c of seizures and vision problems. Vision problems are a common side effect.

I talked to one of our docs who just came off the ward. He's not too hopeful about chloroquine and says there are too many side effects including cardiovascular problems. He's a cardiologist and won't use it.

I also don't think it's necessarily political. But I do think there are really desperate politicians searching for a silver bullet to get us out of this mess. I would love for a drug or treatment, any drug or treatment, to show promise and a quick cure/solution. I'm sure we all would. But in reality, I think it will probably be a menu of hard choices and difficult personal choices over many months until we come out of this.

• Thanks 1

We all know that auto makers are gearing up to make ventilators. Ford offered to do this on their own, while one other company at first had to be ordered to do so.  However. Posting something that did not dawn on me till today, while watching tv.  Hundreds if not thousands of unemployed auto makers will be going back to work.  THAT is a good thing !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

There are tons of clinical trials ongoing right now for drugs and treatments and a bunch for this drug. It looks like a clinical trial in Sweden was halted early by the DSMB b/c of seizures and vision problems. Vision problems are a common side effect.

I talked to one of our docs who just came off the ward. He's not too hopeful about chloroquine and says there are too many side effects including cardiovascular problems. He's a cardiologist and won't use it.

I also don't think it's necessarily political. But I do think there are really desperate politicians searching for a silver bullet to get us out of this mess. I would love for a drug or treatment, any drug or treatment, to show promise and a quick cure/solution. I'm sure we all would. But in reality, I think it will probably be a menu of hard choices and difficult personal choices over many months until we come out of this.

Interesting, I did hear a doctor on TV say that he wouldn't give it to patients with arrhythmia. Also, because it's an immunosuppressant, he said that in his opinion it'd be irresponsible to give to old people with compromised immune systems. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

The governor of Michigan is an idiot. She is playing politics in hopes of being the vice president nominee since Biden said he would nominate a woman. She is in way over her head!

As are the governors of Florida, Arkansas, Iowa, and others not requiring their states to stay at home.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Yeah, don’t listen to me either, I was in the medical device field! I know practically nothing about pharmaceuticals!

Hey Drroogh!  We will have to compare notes!  I've been in pharma, medical device and specialty labs...from rep to national sales director...from start-ups to GSK.  

Recently I was the national sales director for the largest private purchaser of vaccines in the U.S. and the largest travel medicine company in the U.S. We would have weekly meetings about disease outbreaks.  The company had this on their radar I believe around Christmas.  Also totally agree about streamlining the FDA. I could come up with the silver bullet cure for all cancers and it would still take 7 years to get it to market with 2 10,000 patient studies and that is if I paid to have it fast tracked.  The FDA does not know how to work fast.  

• Like 2

On 4/4/2020 at 1:22 PM, milehiiu said:

Hope you people, especially you dog owners will appreciate this :

I will survive

Saw on the news where a tiger at the Bronx zoo has the covid-19 virus. It is suspected that the tiger got it from a zookeeper. Now that there is proof that there is a human/animal connection, people are now warned to be careful around their dogs and cats.

Be careful out there, it's getting nuts.....

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tiger+has+covid-19&docid=13886752177030&mid=2AF5AE49BBDF808E72702AF5AE49BBDF808E7270&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Edited by Proud2BAHoosier

21 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Saw on the news where a tiger at the Bronx zoo has the covid-19 virus. It is suspected that the tiger got it from a zookeeper. Now that there is proof that there is a human/animal connection, people are now warned to be careful around their dogs and cats.

Be careful out there, it's getting nuts.....

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tiger+has+covid-19&docid=13886752177030&mid=2AF5AE49BBDF808E72702AF5AE49BBDF808E7270&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Yes. All along we were being told that dogs could not catch the virus.  Now, I realize a tiger is not a dog.  All this shows me is how much really is still not known about what is going on right now.  Which leads me to wonder about one Governor who re-opened the beaches in his state. I think that is sending the wrong message at the wrong time.

3 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

And you said I was the expert? Face it, at this point nobody is an expert! Anybody that comes off like everybody else is wrong, like the press or politicians is the biggest idiot of them all!!

There is the old story of a meeting about product failures. I believe it was Coleman but I could be wrong, very wrong! Anyway, supposedly the meeting had digressed to finger pointing and the CYA! Finally the CEO stood up and walked to the door and stopped. He turned back around and said unless you all start trying to figure out how to solve the problem you are all fired and walked out the door!

Edited by Drroogh

27 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

And you said I was the expert? Face it, at this point nobody is an expert! Anybody that comes off like everybody else is wrong, like the press or politicians is the biggest idiot of them all!!

There is the old story of a meeting about product failures. I believe it was Coleman but I could be wrong, very wrong! Anyway, supposedly the meeting had digressed to finger pointing and the CYA! Finally the CEO stood up and walked to the door and stopped. He turned back around and said unless you all start trying to figure out how to solve the problem you are all fired and walked out the door!

Yep, we are all trying to figure out this new paradigm. Heck, I think scientists are struggling with this one.

Homemade masks!!

Thought I would share this article I received today about the best materials to use if you have to make your own mask.

https://www.designworldonline.com/cdc-weighs-diy-facemasks-for-the-general-public-heres-the-science-behind-mask-materials/

And speaking of making homemade masks, my daughter yesterday had to make a Target Run! She decided if she had to wear a bandana , she might as well go all the way with the look! That's my girl!!

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and phone

A couple updates from Brooklyn (if these are irrelevant to people, please let me know and I'll zip it, but everyone I know is always asking about things here, so I thought I would share.)

First a good update: every night at 7pm, people have been coming out to the terraces and balconies to clap, yell, and make noise for about 3-5 minutes as a thank you to medical personnel. Our outdoor space is sacred and it's neat to see (and hear) so many people from our terrace making noise together.

Now, a bad update: we live within walking distance of an ultra-orthodox Jewish population. Many people in that neighborhood are still having large gatherings and religious events. The top photo in the link below is from a funeral Sunday night (the funeral was for someone who died of COVID-19). It's kind of terrifying that people are still gathering like this and it's not going to end well.

Hasidic Funeral Crowds in Brooklyn Neighborhoods

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

A couple updates from Brooklyn (if these are irrelevant to people, please let me know and I'll zip it, but everyone I know is always asking about things here, so I thought I would share.)

First a good update: every night at 7pm, people have been coming out to the terraces and balconies to clap, yell, and make noise for about 3-5 minutes as a thank you to medical personnel. Our outdoor space is sacred and it's neat to see (and hear) so many people from our terrace making noise together.

Now, a bad update: we live within walking distance of an ultra-orthodox Jewish population. Many people in that neighborhood are still having large gatherings and religious events. The top photo in the link below is from a funeral Sunday night (the funeral was for someone who died of COVID-19). It's kind of terrifying that people are still gathering like this and it's not going to end well.

Hasidic Funeral Crowds in Brooklyn Neighborhoods

Don't stop.  You are in the epicenter of this thing.  Personally appreciate all you share with us. 

51 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Homemade masks!!

Thought I would share this article I received today about the best materials to use if you have to make your own mask.

https://www.designworldonline.com/cdc-weighs-diy-facemasks-for-the-general-public-heres-the-science-behind-mask-materials/

And speaking of making homemade masks, my daughter yesterday had to make a Target Run! She decided if she had to wear a bandana , she might as well go all the way with the look! That's my girl!!

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and phone

Hope she doesn't put a gun in that holster,  you may need some bail money!  Lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Hope she doesn't put a gun in that holster,  you may need some bail money!  Lol

Yeah, even the cap gun that goes with that holster could be a problem in California where she lives! Heck, just the holster could be an issue in California!

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

The "stay at home" orders/restrictions opens up a huge constitutional can of worms...

That's been one of my concerns.  I am old enough to remember pre 9/11. Then came the patriot act.  We will soon be living in a post sesame sickness world. Who knows what the will look like. 

I always wondered how a government could control a large population.  Now I know, technology and snitches.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not annoying at all....and if anyone is they don't have to ready. I personally enjoy perspectives from NYC and elsewhere in this thread. 

Yes. I do appreciate the first hand reports of members from all over our country.