Coronavirus

Reacher

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I think it would be fun if we all were issued 6ft dowel rods that we carry around like samurai swords.  So if you feel like someone is too close you can poke them with it. 

People tended to avoid me even before all this virus thing.  At least now I can point to the virus as an excuse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Reacher said:

More people died of suicide in TN this week than COVID-19.  NY selling it's ventilators. Death estimate dropped from 2 million to 200,00 to 85,000 to 45,000? I think the lockdowns will start be eased shortly.

And the you have this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/04/07/feds-classify-all-coronavirus-patient-deaths-as-covid-19-deaths/amp/

Admissions are plateauing here in NYC for our institution - we have three hospitals. We are holding steady around 1,500 positive patients admitted, but about 23% of those are intubated and on ventilators. That's a lot. So many medical staffers from other areas have been pulled to ICUs and makeshift units. It's basically all hands on deck right now, but we are hopeful that the admissions stay flat for a bit.

Deaths are still increasing however - up to 779 in NY state reported today. It seems like the shelter in place is working, so hopefully people won't see encouraging numbers and then change their behavior.

I think we will see the hotspot attention shifting away from NYC, and the South will really start to peak in the next couple of weeks.

Thought this was an interesting take.

I get the idea behind the lockdown is to not overwhelm the healthcare system. But what if prolonging the time it takes to reach herd immunity we end up having more deaths overall.  And not just from covid, but also deaths related to the economic shutdown.

I guess it's all just a guessing game. 

https://www.thecollegefix.com/epidemiologist-coronavirus-could-be-exterminated-if-lockdowns-were-lifted/?fbclid=IwAR2wNFw0jxxlwbcdcGMdnikDb_qO-SdOUo60U754FF6ZIiYLa-TnsHLSvRA

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

This weeks jobs report has 10% of the workforce unemployed.  That number is probably a lot higher due to self-employed, sole - proprietors, and gig workers likely not filing claims.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Study-investigates-if-COVID-19-came-to-Calif-in-15187085.php

Stanford University has started and antibody study.  Couple points from the article that stick out.  As of Tuesday there were 374 covid deaths out of 40 million people.  California doctors reported an early flu season last fall. 

23 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Thought this was an interesting take.

I get the idea behind the lockdown is to not overwhelm the healthcare system. But what if prolonging the time it takes to reach herd immunity we end up having more deaths overall.  And not just from covid, but also deaths related to the economic shutdown.

I guess it's all just a guessing game. 

https://www.thecollegefix.com/epidemiologist-coronavirus-could-be-exterminated-if-lockdowns-were-lifted/?fbclid=IwAR2wNFw0jxxlwbcdcGMdnikDb_qO-SdOUo60U754FF6ZIiYLa-TnsHLSvRA

I think herd immunity is a pipe dream.  People are starting to be infected a second time around.  A vaccine,  medication, or cure is the only way we are going to resume back to any normalcy in my opinion 

We don't live in a high rise.  Just a regular neighborhood.

So.....at 8 o'clock. Neighbors around us and other neighborhoods have take it upon themselves to step outside. To yell, set off fireworks, and make as much noise as possible for five minutes as a tribute to first responders and medical people.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

16.6 million people, all self-inflicted, are out of work. Meanwhile 14,800 corona deaths nationwide....

Makes ya wanna go hmmm.....

Some states. It does not matter the cause of death. Say.... you die from a heart attack.  With no virus.  They still group you in with those that died of the virus. Take the Corona death stats with a grain of salt.

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Some states. It does not matter the cause of death. Say.... you die from a heart attack.  With no virus.  They still group you in with those that died of the virus. Take the Corona death stats with a grain of salt.

Where did you get that information? 

11 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Where did you get that information? 

MN Senator Dr Scott Jensen actually provided the HHS document linked in this story- https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/04/huge-mn-senator-dr-reveals-hhs-document-coaching-overcount-covid-19-cases-copy-document-video/

And, according to Senator Jensen, hospitals get paid more for listing patients as COVID-19 and even more if they get put on a ventilator. I hope more of this gets brought up. 

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Reacher said:

MN Senator Dr Scott Jensen actually provided the HHS document linked in this story- https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/04/huge-mn-senator-dr-reveals-hhs-document-coaching-overcount-covid-19-cases-copy-document-video/

And, according to Senator Jensen, hospitals get paid more for listing patients as COVID-19 and even more if they get put on a ventilator. I hope more of this gets brought up. 

Yes. In answer to rogue... it has been all over the news in recent days.  Thanks Reacher for that link.  Again.... take the virus death count with a huge grain of salt.

Paraphrasing here. From your link Reacher.  The Minnesota Doctor received instructions to fill out a death certificate that the patient died of the virus, whether the patient died of the virus or not.

It's happening in more states than Minnesota.

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Reacher said:

There's pretty much nothing I can say without people bringing out the pitchforks on me here. So, I'll just post an article from a news source that's actually reputable.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/04/08/tucker-carlsons-brit-humes-faulty-theories-about-coronavirus-deaths-being-exaggerated/?utm_source=reddit.com

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

There's pretty much nothing I can say without people bringing out the pitchforks on me here. So, I'll just post an article from a news source that's actually reputable.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/04/08/tucker-carlsons-brit-humes-faulty-theories-about-coronavirus-deaths-being-exaggerated/?utm_source=reddit.com

You do know $100 billion of the stimulus money was allocated for covid related hospital costs?  The AHA has already requested $23 billion be distributed, $25,000 per bed, in preparation.  That leaves $77 billion on that table. The incentive is definitely there. 

8 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

You do know $100 billion of the stimulus money was allocated for covid related hospital costs?  The AHA has already requested $23 billion be distributed, $25,000 per bed, in preparation.  That leaves $77 billion on that table. The incentive is definitely there. 

There's no problem being skeptical of where that money goes and how it's allocated (especially since all the oversight was just removed), but it's literally dangerous (even deadly) to believe in and spread this kind of propaganda right now, because that's exactly what it is, and there's zero evidence of it's veracity.

I seriously doubt cities and hospitals are going to willfully suffer the ignominy of being the next New York to make a few thousand (or even million) dollars extra by misrepresenting covid 19 deaths.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

I don't know how much more reputable you can get than a US senator providing and linking a HHS document in the article. The HHS document speaks for itself. Did you read it? Think it's fake? I linked that article because it included the source document. There are many other stories out there saying the same thing from all sorts of sites. 

7 hours ago, Reacher said:

I don't know how much more reputable you can get than a US senator providing and linking a HHS document in the article. The HHS document speaks for itself. Did you read it? Think it's fake? I linked that article because it included the source document. There are many other stories out there saying the same thing from all sorts of sites. 

Did you read the directive? It's clearly advising that if a patient dies before being able to be tested, displays symptoms of the virus, and someone with whom he/she had close contact with tests positive, then it's appropriate to ascribe death to the virus. I think that's a pretty appropriate scenario.

Both the article and the senator, who both have clear agendas, grossly misrepresent the situation.

Furthermore, the tagline of that website is "We report the truth - and leave the Russia collusion fairy tale to the Conspiracy media." It's not even in the same zip code as what I would deem reputable. Back when I was a teacher, I wouldn't have even allowed it as a source on a research paper. It's crystal clear that you can't trust the information coming from that site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1