Coronavirus

Reacher

Just now, tdhoosier said:

I'm not ready to rehash the whole chloroquine debate, but in news related to this we are seeing the mobilization of the global scientific community like we never have before. Many have stopped what they were doing and using their expertise to look for a cure. I just read about an anti-parasitic drug called Ivermectin; it has shown to stop COVID19 in its tracks within 24-48 hours. Of course this was done in lab settings and they need to test in humans. Who knows if it will work but while most of the noise is about chloroquine, there are other promising trials going on. And because of this huge mobilization it's very possible treatments for other viruses may be found on accident. It's very unlikely but wouldn't it be crazy if all of this research accidentally stumbles on better treatments for the common cold or seasonal flu? ...Just something positive to think about. 

Agree all day. I tend to stay out of the other side of this pandemic....but I'm with you. All the research going on right now. Can't wait to see how we prosper and come out as a country on the other side. I can tell you the scientists at Lilly have been going 24/7.

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I'm not ready to rehash the whole chloroquine debate, but in news related to this we are seeing the mobilization of the global scientific community like we never have before. Many have stopped what they were doing and using their expertise to look for a cure. I just read about an anti-parasitic drug called Ivermectin; it has shown to stop COVID19 in its tracks within 24-48 hours. Of course this was done in lab settings and they need to test in humans. Who knows if it will work but while most of the noise is about chloroquine, there are other promising trials going on. And because of this huge mobilization it's very possible treatments for other viruses may be found on accident. It's very unlikely but wouldn't it be crazy if all of this research accidentally stumbles on better treatments for the common cold or seasonal flu? ...Just something positive to think about. 

Agreed.  Not saying Hydrpxychloroquine is the long term answer.  It was the one thing we had at the time showing some promise.

If the lab test you mention above is true, that needs to be tested on humans asap.

Just now, Muckraker said:

Well, there's a good example of the overall disinformation situation. It is impossible for the population of a large mammal like bears to quadruple in 2 or 3 months. Bears have a gestation period similar to humans. 

The population is quadrupling because they are coming from other places and feel safe to be there. Not that the population has quadrupled because of gestation. 

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Agreed.  Not saying Hydrpxychloroquine is the long term answer.  It was the one thing we had at the time showing some promise.

If the lab test you mention above is true, that needs to be tested on humans asap.

Here is an article: https://www.post-gazette.com/news/health/2020/04/12/COVID-19-UPMC-AHN-remdesivir-hydroxychloroquine-ivermectin-Derek-Angus/stories/202004060098

I know this does not need to be said here, but please don't take your dog's heartworm medication after reading this. The FDA has already issued a warning about this. Stupid people are going to stupid. 😆

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

A young man down the street from me is leaving soon for marine corps boot camp. Because of all that is going on I thought I would give him a little something.  So got him pens, a journal, a bible, and stamps for his family, and my address if he wanted someone else to write to.  

Let's not forget about all the people that will be sharing a barracks together. 

One of the first things given to me when I got to basic training, at Fort Dix, New Jersey, even before getting fatigues.....was a pocket bible. I carried that every where I was assigned to.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Reacher said:

They are already getting pressure about closing their wet markets where these bats and other sketchy animals are consumed. If China was able to mandate a one-child law I'm sure they can get a handle on these wet markets. There's a reason a lot of these new and uncontrolled viruses come from this part of the world. 

8 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Here is an article: https://www.post-gazette.com/news/health/2020/04/12/COVID-19-UPMC-AHN-remdesivir-hydroxychloroquine-ivermectin-Derek-Angus/stories/202004060098

I know this does not need to be said here, but please don't take your dog's heartworm medication after reading this. The FDA has already issued a warning about this. Stupid people are going to stupid. 😆

I mentioned earlier in this thread that Mrs. mile has been taking hydroxchloroquine since her late '30's.  For something the doctor eventually misdiagnosed.  But continues to prescribe it for her.

Lately, I have been hearing and reading about Zink.  As a supplement.

Zinc for Colds, Rashes, and the Immune System

The 10 Best Foods That Are High in Zinc

• Like 2

I'm not interested in re-opening things until the timing is right.  If we re-open too early and end up right back where we were, then the damage to the economy is twice as bad.  No, the stimulus plan does not solve everything, but let's give it a chance to do what it's intended to do and continue with social distancing until the time is right to open back up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Personally...I'd like to take the warning labels off of everything and let nature run its course. We'd have an increase of national IQ by at least 10 points in a couple of years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

39 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm not interested in re-opening things until the timing is right.  If we re-open too early and end up right back where we were, then the damage to the economy is twice as bad.  No, the stimulus plan does not solve everything, but let's give it a chance to do what it's intended to do and continue with social distancing until the time is right to open back up.

Coronavirus patients are testing positive after recovery 

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I read that covid is still in your feces for 21+ days.  I was sick a month ago and my Dr told me, that they are finding that symptoms can show up at that 21+ day mark as well... long story short, I think the 14 day thing is jumping the gun by at least a week in some cases.

7 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

If our elected officials and federal agencies acted on this back in January when they were getting numerous warnings; the social distancing wouldn’t have to be on this scale. If they weren’t ‘blind’ to the virus and had a way to test/track it sooner, then they could have shut specific cities where clusters were present, rather than the whole country. They had 2 months to prepare, but didn’t act until it was too late. This is going to go down in history as one of the most epic failures. 

March 9 Dr Fauci saying ok to go on  a cruise- https://globalnews.ca/video/6653403/covid-19-no-reason-not-to-go-on-cruise-if-youre-young-and-healthy-fauci/

Feb 29 ok to go to Malls, Movies and gyms according to Dr Fauci- https://www.today.com/video/dr-fauci-on-coronavirus-fears-no-need-to-change-lifestyle-yet-79684677616

Here is the thinking of one of the top medical advisors. In hindsight, doesn't look so good. Just who was warning in January? Why should that have received more credence than our top medical people? I think the signs were there in January is a bunch of revisionist history. While we knew about the virus, we did not have accurate info from China. The CDC was no where near prepared for this. That goes back to years of mismanagement and misplaced priorities. I can't see how you can blame our elected officials, who in hindsight, seem to have been ahead of the curve vs other countries.

• Like 4

One of the statistics I find most meaningful that is available is number of deaths per 1 million people.  So, while the U.S. may have the most total deaths, that does not mean we were the least prepared when you consider we have 5-6 times more people than most other countries.

So, throwing out the obviously under-reported death totals from China and Russia, here are some comparative numbers when looking at deaths per 1 million people.  The U.S. compares favorably with countries you would consider to be our peers.

Spain - 377

Italy - 338

Belgium - 337

France - 229

United Kingdom - 167

The Netherlands - 165

Switzerland - 131

Sweden - 91

U.S. - 71

Austria - 41

Germany - 36

Canada - 20

Australia - 2 (benefiting from being in the Southern Hemisphere (summertime) and being an island nation.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

One of the statistics I find most meaningful that is available is number of deaths per 1 million people.  So, while the U.S. may have the most total deaths, that does not mean we were the least prepared when you consider we have 5-6 times more people than most other countries.

So, throwing out the obviously under-reported death totals from China and Russia, here are some comparative numbers when looking at deaths per 1 million people.  The U.S. compares favorably with countries you would consider to be our peers.

Spain - 377

Italy - 338

Belgium - 337

France - 229

United Kingdom - 167

The Netherlands - 165

Switzerland - 131

Sweden - 91

U.S. - 71

Austria - 41

Germany - 36

Canada - 20

Australia - 2 (benefiting from being in the Southern Hemisphere (summertime) and being an island nation.

Just saw this article referencing the same thing-

Now, here are the top six countries by confirmed cases per million people (based on population numbers from the CIA World Fact Book) in descending order:

1. Spain (3319.33)
  2. Italy (2440.14)
  3. France (1926.80)
  4. USA (1593.34)
  5. Germany (1565.03)
  6. United Kingdom (1214.78)

See? When looking at the number of confirmed cases compared to the population, the United States is not number one.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/no-the-united-states-does-not-lead-the-world-in-coronavirus-cases-or-deaths/

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

March 9 Dr Fauci saying ok to go on  a cruise- https://globalnews.ca/video/6653403/covid-19-no-reason-not-to-go-on-cruise-if-youre-young-and-healthy-fauci/

Feb 29 ok to go to Malls, Movies and gyms according to Dr Fauci- https://www.today.com/video/dr-fauci-on-coronavirus-fears-no-need-to-change-lifestyle-yet-79684677616

Here is the thinking of one of the top medical advisors. In hindsight, doesn't look so good. Just who was warning in January? Why should that have received more credence than our top medical people? I think the signs were there in January is a bunch of revisionist history. While we knew about the virus, we did not have accurate info from China. The CDC was no where near prepared for this. That goes back to years of mismanagement and misplaced priorities. I can't see how you can blame our elected officials, who in hindsight, seem to have been ahead of the curve vs other countries.

My bad for bringing up elected officials because there's no way of getting into this conversation without breaking the board rules, so i'm going to side step that. I'll just say that I don't agree with you regarding revisionist history for various reasons, but I shouldn't have went there. Again, I take full responsibility for leading us down that road. 

Regarding testing mishaps, I'm assuming it's pretty non-partisan to bash the CDC (since it's been done already), but them mishandling the first round of testing kits really set us back. I 100% agree with you about the CDC. I really think our reality could be different right now if the testing roll out didn't get f'd up. For pandemics, the CDC should be the most prepared department in the world. It was their time to shine and they poop'd the bed. I'm sure there's more blame then I care to imagine for that, going back many administrations. 

Hopefully all testing and antibody testing is not held up any further. Unless there's a magic bullet (in terms of a pharmaceutical cure), I think that testing is what will bring us back to any semblance of 'normal' until a vaccine is developed and approved. 

• Like 1