Coronavirus

Reacher

13 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

We should have been using this time to massively increase testing and at least explore contact tracing. We have not really done either one.

The pessimist in me feels like the government has largely just wasted time during a very painful period for many people. People are suffering physically, mentally, and financially. We could have at least used this time to vastly increase testing production/availability and ramp up testing on a national scale. Instead, it's a hodgepodge of states stumbling through it - some doing okay and others not so much.

Playing the woulda shoulda coulda game does nothing to make things better. When this first came out, little was known about it as well as the seriousness of it. Then when testing started, there were problems with the reagents. I feel the government is doing the best they can with what knowledge (very little) they had at the time....

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Playing the woulda shoulda coulda game does nothing to make things better. When this first came out, little was known about it as well as the seriousness of it. Then when testing started, there were problems with the reagents. I feel the government is doing the best they can with what knowledge (very little) they had at the time....

What does make things better is action. If not then, now. Right now. I don't pay my taxes for the government to do nothing while people die. We need more testing to open up safely. We know more now. We know it's dangerous and we know it spreads like crazy. We also know we need more testing. We should have been ramping up testing like maniacs during this time to help with the reopening process.

• Like 1

How much does everyone feel climate plays a part in how deadly the virus is?  Is that an explanation for why Texas has fewer deaths than Indiana, or Florida having fewer deaths than Connecticut?  Louisiana got hit hard early, but has seemingly turned the corner much more quickly than states with cooler climates.

21 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

What does make things better is action. If not then, now. Right now. I don't pay my taxes for the government to do nothing while people die. We need more testing to open up safely. We know more now. We know it's dangerous and we know it spreads like crazy. We also know we need more testing. We should have been ramping up testing like maniacs during this time to help with the reopening process.

We will have to agree to disagree.... I pay taxes too and I think the government is doing it's best to stay on top of it..

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

How much does everyone feel climate plays a part in how deadly the virus is?  Is that an explanation for why Texas has fewer deaths than Indiana, or Florida having fewer deaths than Connecticut?  Louisiana got hit hard early, but has seemingly turned the corner much more quickly than states with cooler climates.

Good question...one that I am keeping my eye on.

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I am no scientist, nor doctor.  However, I said on the very first page of this thread, that based on what I knew at that time about the common flu.... that this epidemic would lose strength, once warmer weather returned to the U.S. 

As far as what the government has or has not done, here's my point of view.  The one thing I look back on and feel the administration failed the American people was disbanding the Pandemic response team a couple of years ago.  Other than that, if everyone just puts aside built in bias for a minute, I'm not sure there is anything you can specifically point at and 'blame' the administration and/or the governors of any of the impacted states. 

Quite simply, this is uncharted territory and the world was put at a disadvantage by the deception of China.  Sure, there are things we can look at in hindsight and say we could have been better prepared.  Having our pharma made in the U.S. would be a start, but that's not the fault of this administration.  That's a problem that has been years in the making.

I actually get tired of all the finger-pointing.  It's like people may agree with 9 out of 10 of the decisions an official makes, but they go out of their way to criticize the one they disagree with to no end.  Not every decision is going to be perfect for any single individual.  

Bottom line is that the last pandemic of this magnitude occurred 102 years ago.  Yeah, there are people in the world older than 102, but how many of them were old enough to have an understanding of what happened in 1918.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Amen! If that doesn't happen after this mess, then we deserve what we get.

Prices may go up. Most likely they will.  However, what is better ?  To pay higher prices for our prescription drugs.  Or not to have them at all, should China decide to stop sending them to the U.S. ?

Hey. Thanks for being a great member of Hoosier Sports Nation.  Stay safe !

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Bottom line is that the last pandemic of this magnitude occurred 102 years ago.  Yeah, there are people in the world older than 102, but how many of them were old enough to have an understanding of what happened in 1918.  

And not just the young people at that time.  That.... was a problem back then.  That led to so many deaths.  The dissemination of information.  People just did not hear about it.  Took well over a year for information to spread. Not like today.

36 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Government has done nothing? Hahahaha okay. Maybe your boy Cuomo should stop doing 5th grade PowerPoint presentations complaining about the federal government and start to do things himself. 

I'll refrain from stooping to your level here out of respect to the moderators.

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

As far as what the government has or has not done, here's my point of view.  The one thing I look back on and feel the administration failed the American people was disbanding the Pandemic response team a couple of years ago.  Other than that, if everyone just puts aside built in bias for a minute, I'm not sure there is anything you can specifically point at and 'blame' the administration and/or the governors of any of the impacted states. 

This article does a nice job looking at what happened regarding the "disbanding of the pandemic response team" . You'll see that the lead guy quit, but most of the people under him remained . I think the media made this out to be more of an issue than it really is.  Not sure why the White House even needs a team there- isn't that what the CDC is for?

https://www.breitbart.com/health/2020/03/13/fact-check-no-trump-did-not-fire-the-entire-white-house-pandemic-team/

4 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I'll refrain from stooping to your level here out of respect to the moderators.

I do get lost at times in Cuomo's daily updates.  However.... I have got to say, I enjoyed his telling yesterday.  That he now has all three of his daughters at home again. Though they are grown up.  And relayed in the story that, as an Italian, they always sat down at the dinner table each and every Sunday, for spaghetti and meat balls.  And that is what they would be doing again.

We've heard enough about domestic disputes during this trying time.  But not enough about families coming back together to resurrect family traditions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

What put us behind was the initial CDC test was unreliable and they had to start over. I've heard the FDA is a bottleneck right now. We could have more out there if the government would allow it.

2 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

It's tricky. Especially for the workers who may not have a choice. My wife and I were discussing yesterday how restaurants and bars will navigate this reopening process. They tend to pack the tables pretty close together here b/c of high rents. I can't imagine being crammed into these tiny tables that close to another table anymore. I feel like they are going to have to create more space in their floor plan, but then they have less customers to cover rent.

I think you will see prices rise for various restaurants and possibly sporting events too. If an owner needs to make a certain amount to meet expenses and has a reduced number of patrons, the places with high enough demand will be able to charge more for the fewer customers that do want to get back out.

20 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I do get lost at times in Cuomo's daily updates.  However.... I have got to say, I enjoyed his telling yesterday.  That he now has all three of his daughters at home again. Though they are grown up.  And relayed in the story that, as an Italian, they always sat down at the dinner table each and every Sunday, for spaghetti and meat balls.  And that is what they would be doing again.

We've heard enough about domestic disputes during this trying time.  But not enough about families coming back together to resurrect family traditions.

Yeah, I think he's trying to strike a balance of presenting information and trying to comfort people. It's difficult, especially when he is losing so mnay citizens to this every day.

2 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

We should have been using this time to massively increase testing and at least explore contact tracing. We have not really done either one.

The pessimist in me feels like the government has largely just wasted time during a very painful period for many people. People are suffering physically, mentally, and financially. We could have at least used this time to vastly increase testing production/availability and ramp up testing on a national scale. Instead, it's a hodgepodge of states stumbling through it - some doing okay and others not so much.

100% agree.

• Like 1

Hopefully people will wake up and realize government is not the solution.  Private industry is more efficient and should grow a pair and flip the bird to the FDA.  The first positive test we had was because a test was developed independently and done without government approval. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

The consensus seems to be that no one knows for sure yet. No definitive studies. I'm of the belief that warmer weather and sunshine do seem to slow the transmission and have seen some articles to that effect but nothing concrete.

22 minutes ago, Reacher said:

What put us behind was the initial CDC test was unreliable and they had to start over. I've heard the FDA is a bottleneck right now. We could have more out there if the government would allow it.

I think you will see prices rise for various restaurants and possibly sporting events too. If an owner needs to make a certain amount to meet expenses and has a reduced number of patrons, the places with high enough demand will be able to charge more for the fewer customers that do want to get back out.

Yep, the CDC has not done a very good job with this.

I agree about the prices, they will have to raise prices if they allow less people in. Going to be tough for businesses and customers to navigate this and will require a lot of patience.