Coronavirus

Reacher

We need this pathetically inept government to get testing available, as in actually available. 

That said, with face masks, social distancing, limitations on the number of people in restaurants, hand sanitizer and other protocols in place, people can and should get back to earning livings, the government can’t print up free money and dig the economy even deeper into this ridiculous debt level, people can’t survive without their jobs, it has to end. It is time to move forward, with continuing protocols etc but people need to get on with their lives 

I’m tired of getting wrapped up in the internet, social media and cable news. 

It’s very interesting that ‘side 1’ is painting ‘side 2’ as wanting to open up immediately without restrictions. Side 2 apparently doesn’t care about people dying and is in denial.

Side 2 is painting ‘side 1’ as wanting to quarantine until this whole thing is over. Side 1 apparently doesn’t care about the economy and wants to live off the government. 

There may be people with more extreme views on side 1 who have very weakened immune systems and are scared of getting sick, or on side 2 who are living paycheck to paycheck and desperately need to work to put food on the table. I think it’s important to respect each of these realities and consider it.

BUT we also need to remember that the majority of us have an opinion that lies somewhere in the middle. The policies set in the future will also most likely be somewhere in the middle. The gray area is VAST on the issue of moving forward from COVID19.

However, this culture of ‘owning’ the enemy with sick burns and stupid memes during a pandemic is absolutely shameful. There’s a fine line between being critical of others’ views and completely dismissive because it pushes people further into their corners. I find this especially troubling, because now more than ever, whatever is decided by states or on the federal level will only be successful if a majority of us respect it. We can and should be critical (note: not dismissive) of whatever those policies may be without fear of giving up our liberties, but let’s at least respect them, try to make it work and continue to learn from and adapt these policies - whether you are in Georgia, whether you are in Michigan, or somewhere in between. There are no easy decisions right now, especially because we are fighting a virus we know so little about. We are truly in this together, especially in a time when one person’s dismissiveness can effect another’s way of life or their actual life.

...just needed to get that off my chest. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Thing is, what is totally acceptable? Absolutely 0% new cases or a low percentage of new cases before people feel confident about going out again? If it's 0%, this may never happen, especially if it shows up again in the Fall like some are suggesting.

The quarantines and suggested measures were originally intended to keep the hospital system from getting overwhelmed.  Outside of a few areas that doesn't appear to be happening.  Is it just me or does it seem like the goalposts keep moving?

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

The quarantines and suggested measures were originally intended to keep the hospital system from getting overwhelmed.  Outside of a few areas that doesn't appear to be happening.  Is it just me or does it seem like the goalposts keep moving?

Can't speak for the hospitals, but I do see where they are opening up to elective surgeries and encouraging people to do so. That tells me that things must be getting better?

45 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

True in Colorado. The Army Corp of Engineers was to have converted the Denver Convention center to 2,000 beds.  Eventually that to reduced to 600.  And most of the people going there are homeless, not necessarily virus victims.

42 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'm thinking 'moving the goalposts' was the plan all along. It's been a matter of stalling until they learn more about the virus: where it's most prevalent, how doctors are treating it/what the best practices are, what underlying health issues are most at risk, why it affects people differently, etc. They were also stalling to make sure hospitals could get the equipment they need.

I'm not saying they'll learn everything in the next month, but every bit of information they can gather now allows them to make more informed policy decisions in the future, which can save lives. And if you think about it, there's a lot of info that we know now that we didn't know just a week ago. I mean, doctors are finding out that ventilators are now harming some people. At first masks were bad...now they're good. etc. 

Every week we wait gives us a clearer picture, but the question is: how clear of a picture is needed before we re-open? That answer is different in every state. 

• Like 3

Another good interview on The Daily; this time about testing. Both diagnostic and antibody testing....

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-daily/id1200361736#episodeGuid=gid%3A%2F%2Fart19-episode-locator%2FV0%2F3sNgr8C9Qk9jqGIUS9jLtYnD07Qik8CDbDcnvGB06bM

Interesting for me to learn that because the CDC was heavily criticized for being too conservative with regulations in regards to not allowing private labs and universities to develop diagnostic tests back in February; they went in a complete different direction with the antibodies tests. They allowed private labs to administer to the public and regulate themselves without any CDC certification in hopes of speeding things up. Problem was that only 3 of the 15 tests were reliable and it created confusion. Some tests had an error rate of 15% for false positives, which is stupidly high. 

30 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Smokey Mountains look like they may re-open soon....

See. Now this is something I am having a hard time understanding.  We are being told as warmer weather returns, we should go outside, to catch sun rays.  Yet, many of the State Parks and trails in Colorado remained closed. 

I love it when, during this time.  Businesses look outside of the box. And find ways to survive.  And help people out.

Our local Honda motorcycle dealership ( 1.9 miles from the mile house) is closed to sales. However they are allowed to keep their service department open. And no, I don't own a motorcycle.  But I do have a Honda mower, that I bought from them.  And take to them every Spring, for an annual tuneup.  SO...... it's tune up time. And I check their website to see if they are open.... to find out the service department is open.  But what do I find out ?  A service they have never offered before. FREE pickup and delivery !  Now. Normally when I take my Honda in this time of year.... it is done in one day.  This time.... they can't get to my house for one week..... they are swamped !

Edited by milehiiu

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Sounds like Indiana will open things back up sooner rather than later in stages. Haven't read the details yet but Simon Malls are opening all dozen or so of their properties this Saturday.

Maybe but Gov Holcomb will be addressing the May 1st deadline that day. With Cass county exploding, if they do open up after Friday, it will probably be a county by county decision.

On 4/27/2020 at 2:57 PM, BGleas said:

First, I hope everyone that has been personally affected by all of this is doing well, whether it be health, mentally, financially, etc. @IU Scott, I hope you are well my friend!

I posted this in another thread last week, but figured I'd expand on it over here. Me and my family got hit pretty hard last week when my company's board decided to cut salaries by 50%. Not a call I was hoping to get. I'll just give the full story, I run marketing for a small startup supplement company where we offer clinically effective supplements, plant-based protein shakes, etc, and we also give back where for every order on our website, we donate a bottle of our children's multivitamin to a malnourished child around the world. To-date, we've donated over 600,000 vitamins to malnourished children. Sorry, did not intend for that to be a sales pitch, just wanted to fill everyone in on what we do (though I guess that is a sales pitch).  

While we've been growing steadily every year, we're a lean and mean team, mostly utilizing freelancers and consultants. Full time we're a two person company, so legitimately a startup, though we are 7 years old. Seems odd to have a BOD for a two person company, but that's a whole other story. 

Anyways, we're eCommerce which is actually good during this time, but being small and in a saturated industry we don't have the ad budgets of our competitors, so we've built the business largely through partnerships with doctors, personal trainers and boutique gyms, athletes and influencers, which has been great. The problem came in when during this time doctors are not seeing patients and gyms/personal trainers are not seeing clients. We've seen revenue fall by over 30%. 

Not looking for sympathy, as I know a lot of people have it much worse during this time, and I'm grateful the 50% slash wasn't a 100% slash. Time to roll up the sleeves even more and get the revenue rolling again. I'm confident we can do it, but definitely a scary time. 

Maybe we can create a little mini HSN job board during these times? If anyone has a business that's in need of marketing strategy/support, I'm open to consult/free lance as I look to supplement (pun intended) my income. 

Not sure what state you are in, but apply for partial or underemployment.  Your state may deny but that should enroll you in any available benefits from the Federal Cares Act or the ones that follow.

12 hours ago, hoosierfan615 said:

Maybe but Gov Holcomb will be addressing the May 1st deadline that day. With Cass county exploding, if they do open up after Friday, it will probably be a county by county decision.

As everyone is going back to work, remember that the federal or local governments will not protect your safety with regards to the virus.

Your employer has no obligation to keep you safe.

Your safety due to Coronavirus at work is your responsibility alone.

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

NY Emergency room DR urges people to get back to work- https://nypost.com/2020/04/27/ive-worked-the-coronavirus-front-line-and-i-say-its-time-to-start-opening-up/

Some good reasons in there that I haven't seen before

The non-COVID care issues are definitely a concern. How many people are not seeking care for genuine emergencies or much needed care? Our hospital system is losing approx. $500M each month b/c of no elective surgeries, appts, and obviously increased costs associated with COVID-19 cases.

We are trying to move toward providing electives and other outpatient appointments. This isn't easy b/c of how we've had to retrofit physical spaces drastically to keep up with space issues and staff have also been redeployed. We need to make sure that staff and patients are well protected.

His last paragraph is both sad and ludicrous - especially for NYC. How do all of these people actually get to work now? The MTA is badly crippled right now and we're not sure when it can get back to hauling all of those millions of riders each day. Getting to work was challenging enough before this virus. Now? It's a freaking minefield.