Coronavirus

Reacher

5 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Speaking of pre-planning...i really wish I could remember the Exact details so bear with me...

Fauci said that they are going to work on manufacturing vaccines before they are approved, hoping to have one ready to administer right away upon approval. Apparently manufacturing these can take months. Of course, this can backfire if the vaccines don’t work because they’ll be left with a lot of useless vaccines. But desperate times are calling for desperate measures. 

I'm not involved in pharma much, but I can tell you that almost all medical devices build up inventory well before final FDA market launch approval. a day wasted is lost revenue! 

15 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

@Lostin76

Any idea how this is affecting crime rates?  Just saw an article Miami hasn't had a murder in 7 weeks. First time since 1957 they have went that long. 

I've posted a few things showing crime is up in Chicago. 4000 people, including 64 murderers were released from IL jails- https://wrex.com/2020/04/28/almost-4000-inmates-released-from-il-prisons-64-charged-with-murder/  I'm pretty sure this does not include the county jails. I expect it to be a very bad summer for crime

• Like 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

While I'm in favor of staged opening...I'm nervous for the counties who share a border with Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, and Kentucky. Could see a surge from those states coming in and potentially backfiring. Time will tell. I'll say this. I thought Gov Holcomb's plan is well thought out in stages over coming months and if science warrants a change....they'll cancel openings.

2 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I was reading a Bloomington sub-Reddit thread on this company's predictions for Monroe County and a couple of folks were arguing about their methodology and it's flaws. I'm not a data scientist, so I can't judge one way or another. But just anecdotally as a resident of Monroe County, I have to question their conclusions. Because there are basically no students in Bloomington right now, all other things being equal, Monroe County is just kind of your average Indiana county across the state in terms of population. The positive test rate has remained relatively low compared to other counties, hovering ~11-12% over the past few weeks. Compare that to Bartholomew County, two counties over, and their positive rate hovering near *40%*!!!. It's already a hot spot, and has performed far few tests than Monroe. It kinda freaks me out looking at the numbers (sorry, I'd provide the numbers, but can't get the ISDH site to work display right now). I'm just not seeing a reason for Monroe to spike in the near future. 

From what I've observed during the few times I've been out the past month, Bloomington folks are doing a pretty good job at social distancing, masking up, and all that. Mind you, I only ever do grocery runs every 7-10 days, but for the most part, people are respecting each other and taking precautions. Again, I could be wrong, but I don't see a serious spike in positive cases here unless people start behaving like total idiots - which is always a possibility. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Virtual Kentucky Derby tomorrow. I'm placing my money on Secretariat.  Who ya got ?

Mint Julep in  hand. Mrs.mile with her most splendid bonnet.  We'll be there. How about you ?

Kentucky Derby Triple Crown Showdown: Post positions, betting odds

I'm partial to American Pharoah.  I was a little young to appreciate Secretariat, and then you had Affirmed and Seattle Slew shortly thereafter, so it did not seem like a big deal back then..  Pharoah's Breeder's Cup Classic win may be my favorite horse race of all time.

Indiana definitely has coronavirus issues.  11th worst deaths per 1 million population among the 50 states.  And, while you can see some flattening, and even some downward trending in other states, it just isn't happening in Indiana.  New cases are going up and deaths are not going down.  

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Indiana definitely has coronavirus issues.  11th worst deaths per 1 million population among the 50 states.  And, while you can see some flattening, and even some downward trending in other states, it just isn't happening in Indiana.  New cases are going up and deaths are not going down.  

I am so sorry to hear about this.

On 4/30/2020 at 10:27 AM, Reacher said:

Project Veritas is not a news organization.  They have "targeted" my employer in my professional work several times before and it's never been fair, honest, balanced, etc.  

Not saying what they are reporting is true or false - I haven't done enough research.  Just adding some first-world insight as to the organization in that link.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Project Veritas is not a news organization.  They have "targeted" my employer in my professional work several times before and it's never been fair, honest, balanced, etc.  

Not saying what they are reporting is true or false - I haven't done enough research.  Just adding some first-world insight as to the organization in that link.

Project Veritas is pure trash. I can't believe they still legally exist after being smacked down so many times.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

This is the problem with grabbing “reports” etc off the Internet generally. So many fake and politically driven BS sources, domestic and foreign. It’s pretty easy to check the veracity of a service / source. But this is exactly how the BS spreads from sources like FaceBook 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Las Vegas pushing to bring the NBA back to finish the season :

MGM Grand in Las Vegas wants to host NBA ‘bubble’ with courts, lounges, spas, even gambling

And MLB looking at 10 rules changes, as a result to the virus.  Including getting rid of instant replay.  Something I always did not like for baseball :

10 rule changes MLB could test during the shortened 2020 season, including universal DH and a mercy rule 

Somewhat Corona related. Feel like this is the first Saturday in May in many years I'm not researching which horses run well in the slop before I make my bets for Kentucky Derby. Of course the weather is going to absolutely perfect today in the area.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Somewhat Corona related. Feel like this is the first Saturday in May in many years I'm not researching which horses run well in the slop before I make my bets for Kentucky Derby. Of course the weather is going to absolutely perfect today in the area.

Meh, put yourself in the mood by sipping on a mint julep.

• Like 1