Coronavirus

Reacher

Some of you may have seen this on the national news Monday morning.  But here is local coverage of his return from NYC of the paramedic who lost his live there due to the virus.

Procession Held To Mark Return Of Colorado Paramedic Paul Cary Who Died Fighting Coronavirus – CBS Denver

Word is that before passing, he had already signed up to return for a second time.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for posting. I'm not down with any type of euthanization of animals just because it becomes expensive for someone to care for them. Ticks me off a little more actually at some of these folks.

I'm far removed from this but I envision livestock scheduled to move out with younger ones taking their places. I'd imagine some places may have room for them but others are really strapped for the space and manpower to continue to care for those animals. Add in that no $ is coming in from a sale, and the small operation is even less able to provide the food and resources needed to indefinitely care for these animals. I feel for the animals but also for the farmers stuck in no win situation.

• Like 3

The oft-quoted University of Washington model numbers released today double projected total U.S deaths to over 134,000 due to the relaxation of social distancing.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

Same model now projects over 6,800 deaths in Indiana, which is a huge jump from the just over 1,000 deaths previously projected.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/indiana

the other spbering thing about these numbers is that they are just projected through early August, and the projections seem to imply there will still be more deaths after that.

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The oft-quoted University of Washington model numbers released today double projected total U.S deaths to over 134,000 due to the relaxation of social distancing.

Same model now projects over 6,800 deaths in Indiana, which is a huge jump from the just over 1,000 deaths previously projected.

the other spbering thing about these numbers is that they are just projected through early August, and the projections seem to imply there will still be more deaths after that.

Considering we are already bumping up against 70,000 deaths in early May, we are looking at a lot more than recently predicted. And I think the relaxation of social distancing will be damaging over the next few months. It's pretty troubling that the US is going to come out of this looking like a third world country when this is all over.

We could have done a much better job of protecting individual incomes over big business. If we did that, then maybe there wouldn't be such a huge pressure on reopening too early. You can't blame people for wanting to earn a livelihood, but you could do a better job of earmarking that money to replacing their lost income over that a**hole hotel guy in Texas.

Am so frustrated that it's come to this early push for reopening, b/c we have done such a piss poor job of identifying who needs what and when. We wasted weeks/months awarding millions of dollars to the hotel jerk, Shake Shack, and universities like Harvard. Thank goodness the latter two decided to return their funds. But unfortunate that those millions can't be pushed quickly to actual small businesses.

And then you have completely idiotic things like Carnival Cruise saying they are going to be back in business in August.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Considering we are already bumping up against 70,000 deaths in early May, we are looking at a lot more than recently predicted. And I think the relaxation of social distancing will be damaging over the next few months. It's pretty troubling that the US is going to come out of this looking like a third world country when this is all over.

We could have done a much better job of protecting individual incomes over big business. If we did that, then maybe there wouldn't be such a huge pressure on reopening too early. You can't blame people for wanting to earn a livelihood, but you could do a better job of earmarking that money to replacing their lost income over that a**hole hotel guy in Texas.

Am so frustrated that it's come to this early push for reopening, b/c we have done such a piss poor job of identifying who needs what and when. We wasted weeks/months awarding millions of dollars to the hotel jerk, Shake Shack, and universities like Harvard. Thank goodness the latter two decided to return their funds. But unfortunate that those millions can't be pushed quickly to actual small businesses.

And then you have completely idiotic things like Carnival Cruise saying they are going to be back in business in August.

And our Governor of Colorado.... lifted many of the restriction for the entire state beginning today.  However, the county which I live in, along with 4 other surrounding counties are not lifting restrictions in their counties.  The mile family can go to the grocery store, liquor store. Vet, as we needed do today.   And order food for pickup or delivery. But little less.

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

And our Governor of Colorado.... lifted many of the restriction for the entire state beginning today.  However, the county which I live in, along with 4 other surrounding counties are not lifting restrictions in their counties.  The mile family can go to the grocery store, liquor store. Vet, as we needed do today.   And order food for pickup or delivery. But little less.

I've noticed a lot of local mayors are overruling governors, which is smart in some places where the cases/deaths are not decreasing yet. I think ultimately it will be up to the consumer to decide if they want to risk it. If they opened everything up here tomorrow, we would not change our behavior one bit.

1 minute ago, Lostin76 said:

I've noticed a lot of local mayors are overruling governors, which is smart in some places where the cases/deaths are not decreasing yet. I think ultimately it will be up to the consumer to decide if they want to risk it. If they opened everything up here tomorrow, we would not change our behavior one bit.

Agree. People need to use their good common sense.  At my age.  Not wondering out any time soon.  

Stay safe. Stay strong. And stay smart.

25 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

That is where I stand. I am not changing my behavior pattern anytime soon even if they did literally open up everything right now. Best to be cautious as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Scott, have been wondering about you. Is your breathing compromised?  What's the next step?

It has not been horrible but my chest has been hurting and a shortness of breath.  They sent in a prescription band have an appointment with doctor tommorow.

54 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It has not been horrible but my chest has been hurting and a shortness of breath.  They sent in a prescription band have an appointment with doctor tommorow.

Hang in there, Scott...pulling for a speedy recovery...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

This is my fear..In my opinion we are relaxing too early and I am afraid this will continue through the summer and worsen in the fall. I personally would have liked to have seen things remained tighter for 2-3 more weeks and hopefully this would have subsided more. Indiana is not doing well in my opinion.

59 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

. Indiana is not doing well in my opinion.

Indiana is actually doing terrible in my opinion.  I live in southern Indiana and am part of teh Louisville media market.  Kentucky is doing so much better than Indiana, it's not even funny.

• Like 1

I'm going to go on a rant and try to be very careful to not use four letter words.  

I am so sick and tired of the media bias and half truths.  I usually read both sides, knowing that neither is being entirely truthful.  But tonight's contradictions totally take the cake.

I watched Tucker Carlson on Fox news Channel tonight.  He had a very interesting story and interview with an Australian news reporter who helped publish a 15 page dossier that states that intelligence sources in the Five Eyes nations (U.S., Canada, UK, Australia, and New Zealand) call out China for all their lies, while strongly suggesting that the virus originated in the Wuhan lab.

Here is a link that covers that angle.  Note, the original Australian version of the story required a subscription.  

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/coronavirus/bombshell-dossier-lays-out-case-against-chinese-bat-virus-program/news-story/55add857058731c9c71c0e96ad17da60

Imagine my surprise when surfing the net and pulling up CNN.com, the headline is a story  that paints the totally opposite picture.  The CNN story suggest 'sources among the Five Eyes intelligence communities take the totally opposite view. The headline speaks for itself.   Intel shared among US allies indicates virus outbreak more likely came from market, not a Chinese lab

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/04/politics/coronavirus-intelligence/index.html

How in the living heuhl can two different media organizations publish/report on the same thing and get polar opposite opinions.  The answer is that most media outlets are corrupt, will only publish stories containing their corporate slant, and in many cases, will politicize a story with a misleading or baited headline.

All in all, at times like we currently face, this type of behavior is sickening.  The public does not know what to believe, and those individuals who only watch/read one side of the story, are often manipulated into believing the only information they see.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1