Coronavirus

Reacher

Mrs. mile went to Costco today. May 7th.  She was surprised to see two things. Or in one case, the lack of. As there was no, nada, none meat to be had.  But they had plenty of toilet paper.

Stay safe Hoosier Sports Nation.

45 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Mrs. mile went to Costco today. May 7th.  She was surprised to see two things. Or in one case, the lack of. As there was no, nada, none meat to be had.  But they had plenty of toilet paper.

Stay safe Hoosier Sports Nation.

We talking hotdogs, lunchmeat, too?  Or ground beef, pork chops, steak, chicken etc.

28 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

We talking hotdogs, lunchmeat, too?  Or ground beef, pork chops, steak, chicken etc.

Mrs. mile went to Costco for one of her medications. She decided to have a look around.   Normally they have an ample supply of steaks.  There were no frozen chickens. And just a few rotisserie chickens.  She was not planning on buying one. But by the time she came back from the back of the store.... those cooked chickens were gone. And she did not see anyone at the time cutting up meat.  She can't recall if there were hotdogs or not. No meat of any kind.

--------------------------------------------

Another thing.  I think it fits in this thread.  Don't want to start a new thread for this.

And I hope no one gets upset about what I am about to say.  This is the National Day of Prayer. If there was ever a time our nation needed this, IMHO, it is now. Yet. There is only one cable news network, carrying the ceremony in Washington D.C.  I just find that wrong.  The prayers and songs, meant a lot to me at this time.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Mrs. mile went to Costco for one of her medications. She decided to have a look around.   Normally they have an ample supply of steaks.  There were no frozen chickens. And just a few rotisserie chickens.  She was not planning on buying one. But by the time she came back from the back of the store.... those cooked chickens were gone. And she did not see anyone at the time cutting up meat.  She can't recall if there were hotdogs or not. No meat of any kind.

--------------------------------------------

Another thing.  I think it fits in this thread.  Don't want to start a new thread for this.

And I hope no one gets upset about what I am about to say.  This is the National Day of Prayer. If there was ever a time our nation needed this, IMHO, it is now. Yet. There is only one cable news network, carrying the ceremony in Washington D.C.  I just find that wrong.  The prayers and songs, meant a lot to me at this time.

My #1 prayer was answered, today! 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

If you have the ability to buy a pig or a portion of a beef cow, it would probably be a good idea. 

Luckily being in a rural area I have access to several local processors who raise their own cattle and pigs. And being a lifelong deer hunter, fishermen I know how to process my own. And have my grandpa's 40 acre farm if I had to do it myself.

Good advice BTW. Get it now if you can. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Luckily being in a rural area I have access to several local processors who raise their own cattle and pigs. And being a lifelong deer hunter, fishermen I know how to process my own. And have my grandpa's 40 acre farm if I had to do it myself.

Good advice BTW. Get it now if you can. 

Same here! We are processing a few pigs in the morning. And I did get a 1/4 beef bought as well...  My family should be set on meat for a good while

• Like 2

O.K., Well my wife and I recently learned that come sometime in November we will be grandparents for the 4th time! So I got to wondering while watching Family Feud and hering all of the weird contestants names, what kids names would be like 6 years from now, with all the pandemic stuff going on.

Then I saw this video and I was laughing so hard, I had tears rolling down my eyes! Enjoy.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

New unemployment numbers came out. 14.7%....probably the highest numbers we've had since the Great Depression. This next part I'm not real certain on but survival rate here in the states is 99.7% or so?? Not diving into any of the what ifs or should we this or what is safe that.....but 15% of Americans losing their jobs with that high of a survival rate? Don't think that makes much sense. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

New unemployment numbers came out. 14.7%....probably the highest numbers we've had since the Great Depression. This next part I'm not real certain on but survival rate here in the states is 99.7% or so?? Not diving into any of the what ifs or should we this or what is safe that.....but 15% of Americans losing their jobs with that high of a survival rate? Don't think that makes much sense. Just my 2 cents.

And there lies the rub...

If you say "America needs to go back to work and let the chips fall where they may", you look like a heartless bastard...but that's not the case at all...

I understand the need for precautions...I encourage social distancing, masks (optional in my mind), sanitization, limiting the amount of people in a store or restaurant, and continued telework for those who can, but businesses need to reopen...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And there lies the rub...

If you say "America needs to go back to work and let the chips fall where they may", you look like a heartless bastard...but that's not the case at all...

I understand the need for precautions...I encourage social distancing, masks (optional in my mind), sanitization, limiting the amount of people in a store or restaurant, and continued telework for those who can, but businesses need to reopen...

That's where I'm at. Bars and restaurants open Monday here in Indiana (not Marion County/Indpls). I'm glad for people to get back to work, do their thing....I'm not going to partake initially but at some point different parts of the country have to handle their own business. Unfortunately that creates another level of division....but to keep things locked down forever isn't what I view as sensible. 15% unemployment numbers inside 60 days. Unreal. 

21 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Yep. I have a few family members who are prone to depression,etc.....they are dying inside because they can't do a thing. 2 in Illinois 1 in California. Getting to the point where I have set scheduled calls,etc...with each just to check in and they hear a friendly voice. Their jobs/careers are their life. Kids all gone. Empty home....the isolation is really getting to them.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. I have a few family members who are prone to depression,etc.....they are dying inside because they can't do a thing. 2 in Illinois 1 in California. Getting to the point where I have set scheduled calls,etc...with each just to check in and they hear a friendly voice. Their jobs/careers are their life. Kids all gone. Empty home....the isolation is really getting to them.

Yeah, this is really brutal for so many people. My wife and I keep telling ourselves how lucky we are to be healthy (knock on wood) and financially stable. We are all learning quickly, that this cannot be taken for granted.

There are no easy answers in this anywhere really. The reopening is technically happening, but I'm not sure how many will participate in actually going out to do things. Many will decide to keep on keeping on with social distancing. I know I would if I live in IN still and the state was opening. Here, we are most likely still months away from reopening.

I am getting really discouraged that we have basically decided that fighting this is too hard and that we will just accept thousands of deaths each day for the near future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Not very promising- https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-06/majority-of-u-s-small-businesses-expect-to-close-survey-says?cmpid=BBD050620_CUS&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_term=200506&utm_campaign=closeamericas

And this- "The Washington Post/University of Maryland poll shows that only 56% of consumers intend to shop at the supermarket (I suppose that is a bullish data point for delivery services). Just 33% are comfortable entering a retail store. And a mere 22% say they are willing to dine in a sit-in restaurant."

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Much more than the immediate mental health issues. Just quoted a study saying 52% of small businesses expect to close within 6 months. How many owners / employees will turn to drugs? Begin drawing down savings only to end up in poverty many years down the road? Not be able to afford medical care and die from other issues? I have seen people retire with not enough. It is a slow motion train wreck. They can get by ok for a number of years. Then they downsize a house to buy time. Eventually home equity is gone. This is already happening from the 2008 recession. Now you stack 2020 on top of it and there will be lots of people hurting. I expect reverse mortgages to take off in the next decade. 

5 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I am getting really discouraged that we have basically decided that fighting this is too hard and that we will just accept thousands of deaths each day for the near future.

I guess it's that or accept mass poverty, mass mental health issues, unemployment rates even higher than they are now, people who've built businesses and invested their lives in them losing those businesses, and elevated addiction numbers...

We're not doing this because fighting the pandemic is "too hard." We're fighting against nature, and mankind rarely if ever wins that battle. 

I said in the beginning we had to balance out response. And that's what we're starting to do.

I pray for you and other New Yorkers every night...I understand how difficult and scary this must be...but my prayers also go out to the people who need to support families and put bread on the table...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Much more than the immediate mental health issues. Just quoted a study saying 52% of small businesses expect to close within 6 months. How many owners / employees will turn to drugs? Begin drawing down savings only to end up in poverty many years down the road? Not be able to afford medical care and die from other issues? I have seen people retire with not enough. It is a slow motion train wreck. They can get by ok for a number of years. Then they downsize a house to buy time. Eventually home equity is gone. This is already happening from the 2008 recession. Now you stack 2020 on top of it and there will be lots of people hurting. I expect reverse mortgages to take off in the next decade. 

Yeah, as bad as things are now. This is going to get worse, and am really unsure what things will look like on the other side of this.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I guess it's that or accept mass poverty, mass mental health issues, unemployment rates even higher than they are now, people who've built businesses and invested their lives in them losing those businesses, and elevated addiction numbers...

We're not doing this because fighting the pandemic is "too hard." We're fighting against nature, and mankind rarely if ever wins that battle. 

I said in the beginning we had to balance out response. And that's what we're starting to do.

I pray for you and other New Yorkers every night...I understand how difficult and scary this must be...but my prayers also go out to the people who need to support families and put bread on the table...

Oh, 100% I understand those who need to put food on the family table. It's crushing to think about it.

My "too hard" is not about reopening necessarily. It's about failing to put together a proper and effective response as a nation. Other countries have handled this much better than we have. That's a frustration for me. And the trailing economic devastation is going to be horrible for so many people.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

That's where I'm at. Bars and restaurants open Monday here in Indiana (not Marion County/Indpls). I'm glad for people to get back to work, do their thing....I'm not going to partake initially but at some point different parts of the country have to handle their own business. Unfortunately that creates another level of division....but to keep things locked down forever isn't what I view as sensible. 15% unemployment numbers inside 60 days. Unreal. 

Kinda makes me wonder where the ACLU has been in all of this. Guess it doesn't fit their agenda.

• Like 2