Coronavirus

Reacher

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

No kidding. I really hope we here in Indiana see the same results as our comrades down south. After going to the Walmart garden center yesterday morning I'm a tad nervous on the reboot. People walking around the store....no gloves, masks, carrying their starbucks. I'm happy for those who want and get to go back to work...but I won't be partaking in any of this until I see some solid numbers in a couple of weeks. 

I had to go to Walmart the other day, and it was ridiculous. People everywhere in large groups having chatty conversations. I had to ask several people (as politely as I could) to please step aside so I could get what I needed off a shelf. Checkout lines were 5-6 deep, including self-checkout, with no social distancing. 

The youth baseball league where I live was cancelled this summer. Some of the parents were so upset, they protested and pestered the league president until he finally stepped down out of frustration. Someone else took over, and these people are trying to get the kids on the field now. Not like, later this summer, which I would fully support; they want the kids on the field now. 

I really, really don't want to see high school football get cancelled because we re-opened everything too soon and had an outbreak during the summer. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

I really, really don't want to see high school football get cancelled because we re-opened everything too soon and had an outbreak during the summer. 

High school fall sports are definitely at risk.  I'm actually concerned about high school basketball.  With how bad things are in the Indy area, will Marion County schools still be remote learning? 

Kids and healthy young adults don't seem to be the problem. I agree with this Coloradan- https://pagetwo.completecolorado.com/2020/05/10/dierenbach-is-it-time-for-a-new-approach-to-coronavirus/. Let the kids play baseball. Just keep the parents apart.

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku/data

A fraction of 1% of the deaths for people under age 24 are Covid related and that is with a generous counting of Covid deaths. 

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another impact to Colorado that I personally am seeing.

Several young people on my block. That I have watched since being born, grow up, go off to college and graduate. Get a job, and move out to an apartment.  Are now out of work, and have moved back home. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Loss of smell has been known to by a symptom.  New study indicates that there is a correlation between loss of smell and how serious the particular case is.  Basically, loss of smell might be an early indicator of more serious symptoms to come, whereas those cases where the person does not lose smell typically tend to be milder.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/the-one-symptom-that-predicts-how-bad-your-coronavirus-case-will-be/ar-BB13QeKi?ocid=msedgntp

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Loss of smell has been known to by a symptom.  New study indicates that there is a correlation between loss of smell and how serious the particular case is.  Basically, loss of smell might be an early indicator of more serious symptoms to come, whereas those cases where the person does not lose smell typically tend to be milder.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/the-one-symptom-that-predicts-how-bad-your-coronavirus-case-will-be/ar-BB13QeKi?ocid=msedgntp

One of the first questions they asked me if I had trouble smelling or had a loss of taste.  Luckily I did not have either one

• Like 2

Can someone explain to me why cruise ship employees are still stuck on the boats?  If they don't have Covid, why would they not be allowed off the ship?  And, even if they did have a mild case of Covid, their 14-21 day quarantine would be well over by now.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Can someone explain to me why cruise ship employees are still stuck on the boats?  If they don't have Covid, why would they not be allowed off the ship?  And, even if they did have a mild case of Covid, their 14-21 day quarantine would be well over by now.

How many of those cruise ships fly an American flag?  I saw a story on 60 Minutes awhile back talking about skirting tax laws by the cruise lines.  

http://www.idahoreporter.com/2020/major-cruise-lines-use-foreign-flags-to-avoid-u-s-laws-but-they-want-u-s-bailout-money/

• Like 1

Had the displeasure of going to wal mart yesterday because I needed a new vacuum.  Being a professional social distancer since birth I dont know why it is so hard for people to stay away from me. Be patient and let me get my olives, you can get your bulk ranch in just a second heifer!

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

On of the guys I know, loss of smell was his only symptom beside some lack of energy that lingered a few weeks.  

Work with a guy that tested positive.  Still cant smell or taste.  Says it's the strangest experience he's ever had. 

22 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Great field and 100% recession proof. Deal with PT's all the time...they can essentially name their price as they move forward in career. Glad to hear on all!

Unfortunately not this recession. My wife is a DPT and works for a big company; they are currently seeing 30% of their normal patient load. Many other out-patient PTs (friends) who work for other companies are in the same position and many have been furloughed. The in-patient PTs who work for hospital systems are being reassigned random positions in the hospital to work. 

I do think that they are in one of those U shaped curves though. Once elective surgery’s begin to start back up business should come back quickly. Fingers crossed. 

i wish they could name their price. Haha. But I know your point. In most areas they are in high demand. 

Traffic in Chicago up 18% over last week. Blue Angels flyover today at 11:45. I'll miss it as they stay pretty much in the city. 

Also Indianapolis- Where can I see the Blue Angels in Indianapolis? They will begin in Beech Grove at 2 p.m., fly over the north part of the I-465 loop at 2:10 p.m. and fly over downtown Indianapolis at 2:11 p.m.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Unfortunately not this recession. My wife is a DPT and works for a big company; they are currently seeing 30% of their normal patient load. Many other out-patient PTs (friends) who work for other companies are in the same position and many have been furloughed. The in-patient PTs who work for hospital systems are being reassigned random positions in the hospital to work. 

I do think that they are in one of those U shaped curves though. Once elective surgery’s begin to start back up business should come back quickly. Fingers crossed. 

i wish they could name their price. Haha. But I know your point. In most areas they are in high demand. 

Depends on location and type of employer. I have many clients who are still paying Full Time hours even if case load is low, doing telehealth ortho therapy,etc......but I think people are word picking my recession comment. This isn't a recession we are in folks. This is 60 days. The recession could come later but right now we aren't in one. We are in a period where people are losing jobs, being furloughed, reduced hours,etc.....because for some reason companies are flying a bit close to the sun and can't afford a 60 day hit.

8 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Traffic in Chicago up 18% over last week. Blue Angels flyover today at 11:45. I'll miss it as they stay pretty much in the city. 

Also Indianapolis- Where can I see the Blue Angels in Indianapolis? They will begin in Beech Grove at 2 p.m., fly over the north part of the I-465 loop at 2:10 p.m. and fly over downtown Indianapolis at 2:11 p.m.

Never get tired of theses flyovers over the mile plantation :

30+ planes to fly over metro Denver Thursday to honor essential workers, raise money for COVID Relief Fund 

In other Colorado news.  This should be of interest especially to Rico:

Colorado Mushroom Farm in Alamosa reports 19 test positive for COVID-19 

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Had the displeasure of going to wal mart yesterday because I needed a new vacuum.  Being a professional social distancer since birth I dont know why it is so hard for people to stay away from me. Be patient and let me get my olives, you can get your bulk ranch in just a second heifer!

Interesting....olives and a vacuum.    🤔

• Haha 1

Got a survey from my kids school this morning asking me to rank my preferences on alternative learning models for the 20-21 school year.  Just receiving the survey makes me concerned not only about school in the fall, but high school sports and college sports as well.

I don't know if it's simply Corona fatigue, but Dr. Fauci is starting to annoy me a bit.  I think everyone understands that re-opening comes with risks, just as remaining closed comes with a different set of risks.  The facts are that he, himself, underestimated this thing back in January and February.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Got a survey from my kids school this morning asking me to rank my preferences on alternative learning models for the 20-21 school year.  Just receiving the survey makes me concerned not only about school in the fall, but high school sports and college sports as well.

I'm getting more and more concerned about schools not opening in the Fall as well. Of course there's the educational and sports impact, but what about the impact to the middle and lower class? What if a lot of people are back to regular work schedules but their kids aren't back in school? Do you put them in daycare? Are daycare facilities even open. If they are, how are people that have already been impacted by this financially supposed to be able to afford it? It's health, logistics and economic nightmare. 

Tested negative on the antibodies.   Pretty disappointed.   In a nutshell everyone that was high risk exposure to a positive patient was also negative.  Guys that were sure they have had it unconfirmed were all negative.  One guy with zero symptoms or idea was positive.  The company administering the test said they have been targeting rural areas and have a 5% positive with a 97% accuracy rate.  

23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm getting more and more concerned about schools not opening in the Fall as well. Of course there's the educational and sports impact, but what about the impact to the middle and lower class? What if a lot of people are back to regular work schedules but their kids aren't back in school? Do you put them in daycare? Are daycare facilities even open. If they are, how are people that have already been impacted by this financially supposed to be able to afford it? It's health, logistics and economic nightmare. 

I'm having this very discussion on a different board (not basketball related).  In my opinion, if you open up most of the economy, you have to open up schools as well.  Single parents or two income families simply cannot support an ongoing home-based learning approach for elementary and middle school aged children.  You could possibly get away with it with high schoolers, though I don't even trust my own high school children to adequately apply themselves, especially if I'm not home to keep an eye on them. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm having this very discussion on a different board (not basketball related).  In my opinion, if you open up most of the economy, you have to open up schools as well.  Single parents or two income families simply cannot support an ongoing home-based learning approach for elementary and middle school aged children.  You could possibly get away with it with high schoolers, though I don't even trust my own high school children to adequately apply themselves, especially if I'm not home to keep an eye on them. 

Yup, the educational impact is real. Then also, what do you do if you're a two income household and both of you and your spouse have jobs that are "opened back up" but the schools are closed? Who watches the kids? How much does that cost? The impact is crazy.