Coronavirus

Reacher

7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

According to Forde this alternative seems to be gaining plenty of steam for fall schedules around country. Cancel fall break, shorten or condense fall schedules.... but no in person classes once Thanksgiving hits and have longer winter break. 

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/education/article242807331.html

Living in Evansville, we have a major Fall Festival that is put on by the West Nut Club. It was the second largest street festival with Mardi Gras being the biggest. It is always held the first week of October. Many non-profit organizations, churches, and schools have booths selling food, raffle tickets, etc.. I can't help but wonder if this years festival will go on or be cancelled. It would be a major set back for many of them

UPDATE: The West Side Nut Club announced the annual Fall Festival will go on as planned. Good News

Edited by Proud2BAHoosier

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Clay Travis on a roll today. Kidding aside. New York and California says pro sports are free to open next week....seems a bit different compared to what they were saying last week?? What happened other than the obvious.

Modern a, Inc. a bio pharmaceutical reported results of an early stage test where 45 people reacted favorably to a potential vaccine. Headed tO Stage-2 testing. Not sure if this is the impetus, but certainly helped the market today 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Reacher said:

Cases trending down in the states that have reopened- except for Texas.

trending cases.jpg

A pocket in the panhandle around Amarillo...

I was out and about this weekend and couldn't believe the amount of elderly people out...I'm talking 75+...

• Like 2

Trying a little positive here. I'm really liking this reopening of Indiana from this perspective. I just booked an appt for hair cut, BMV license renewal, and oil change all in 5 minutes. Best part...appointments are staggered so no waiting time in lobby or hanging out. Love it. Show up do your thing and gone. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Picture of Ayden celebrating his last day of Elementary school.  For those of you that have been around here long enough know that at 2 or 3 years old doctors were telling us that if Ayden survived he would not be able to function at a level to attend school.  By GODS grace not only was he able to attend school but was on honor roll every semester plays baseball and was a lead in school play. Very proud of this amazing boy, I give praise to our lord savior and a big thank you to all of HSN for your support and prayers. 

IMG_4149.jpg

Man, that's a picture for the ages. Good looking kid, and am so glad that he and your family are doing okay.

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2020 at 12:56 PM, mrflynn03 said:

What do you think about Vitamin D supplementation? The Nords do add a lot of Vitamin D to their diet. Vitamin D seems to possibly have a positive effect.

Here is how it was explained to me, at least this is what I took away from the conversation.

When the body detects a need for an immune response, it creates cytokines and sends them out to destroy the problem. Vitamin D3 is the key that unlocks the cytokines, if there is not enough D3 then the cytokines can’t do their job. As the body continues to see a problem, it keeps creating and sending cytokines, which still cannot be unlocked. This hyperactive immune response creates what is called a cytokine storm. This creates all kinds of inflammation problems and in the case Covid-19 can severely damage the lungs which can cause respiratory problems and death.

The moral of the story is to keep your D3 levels high so your immune system can do its job.  

I have been blessed with fairly good weather here in Colorado since this whole thing started, so I have spent a great portion of my time at work out in the sun. Easy to do when you run a job site building a car wash. I’ve also been take 4-6,000 mg of vitamin C every day and forcing myself to get good sleep.  I quit eating sugar a few years ago, but that’s another story completely.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SteveS said:

Here is how it was explained to me, at least this is what I took away from the conversation.

When the body detects a need for an immune response, it creates cytokines and sends them out to destroy the problem. Vitamin D3 is the key that unlocks the cytokines, if there is not enough D3 then the cytokines can’t do their job. As the body continues to see a problem, it keeps creating and sending cytokines, which still cannot be unlocked. This hyperactive immune response creates what is called a cytokine storm. This creates all kinds of inflammation problems and in the case Covid-19 can severely damage the lungs which can cause respiratory problems and death.

The moral of the story is to keep your D3 levels high so your immune system can do its job.  

I have been blessed with fairly good weather here in Colorado since this whole thing started, so I have spent a great portion of my time at work out in the sun. Easy to do when you run a job site building a car wash. I’ve also been take 4-6,000 mg of vitamin C every day and forcing myself to get good sleep.  I quit eating sugar a few years ago, but that’s another story completely.

This is the best description of the cytokine storm phenomenon that I have read about and have tried to find a way to pass along for it to be understood.  Thank you, you crushed it.  

So this is for all of those, myself included, who read things about this virus with a jaundiced eye...

Wearing a mask can reduce transmission of Covid-19 by 75%

But, knowing that at this point there's a lot of disinformation/misinformation being put out, I'm skeptical...especially looking through the article and seeing this...

"Transmission can be reduced by 50 (percentage points) when surgical masks are used, especially when masks are worn by infected individuals," he said. 

"Lies , damn lies, and statistics"  as popularized by an American humorist...

And another... Again by Chinese scientists

"The novel coronavirus is behaving differently in patients in northeast China who have contracted it recently compared with early cases, indicating it is changing as it spreads, a prominent doctor said."

I'll never disavow real science, but I will question where it comes from...China has an agenda here...and people need to understand that...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SteveS said:

Curious on something. After your post I started doing a little research. This is one cut/paste below. Cytokines are supposed to help but because of this "storm" there is so many of them they are actually destroying tissues like our lungs which in turn causes death? Is that the process?

Certain kinds of cytokines trigger cell death. When you have many cells doing this at the same time, a lot of tissue can die. In COVID-19, that tissue is mostly in the lung. As the tissue breaks down, the walls of the lungs’ tiny air sacs become leaky and fill with fluid, causing pneumonia and starving the blood of oxygen.

Edited by Seeking6

11 hours ago, SteveS said:

Great post. I was also reading that this hyper-reactive immune response doesn’t typically happen in children because their immune system hasn’t evolved to that level. I read this a few weeks ago so my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think it was prhased that a child’s immune system is still ‘learning’. This is ironically the reason why some doctors think they are relatively safe from the virus. 

I hear you on sugar. I still have my challenges, but greatly reduced it over the years. It’s crazy to actually sit down and look at how much added sugar you consume in a single day. Especially if you are a pop drinker. My friend is a dietician who specializes in weight loss, she says the very first thing she’s tells people to do is cut out the added sugar because it affects your body in so many ways. Every now and then I slowly fall off the bandwagon, but for me, when my sugar intake is low I sleep better, my knees feel better (sugar causes inflammation), my blood pressure is lower, my workouts are better and I don’t get sick as much (and if I do the duration isn’t as long). I mentioned this a couple of pages back and I don’t mean to beat it like a dead horse, but it kinda upsets me that there isn’t a bigger call for improving our health, especially in this moment. The media is so good at scaring people on a whole host of issues large or small, why don’t they attempt to ‘scare’ people into eating healthy? haha. The message everywhere is wash your hands, be careful and wear a mask, which is great. But why can’t they add ‘eat healthy’ or ‘excercise’ to that list? Other than age, the people who are most at risk have health issues. Health issue are usually a result of bad eating habits. You can greatly improve your health in the span of 2 months and as a result lower you risk, no matter where your starting point is. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Curious on something. After your post I started doing a little research. This is one cut/paste below. Cytokines are supposed to help but because of this "storm" there is so many of them they are actually destroying tissues like our lungs which in turn causes death? Is that the process?

Certain kinds of cytokines trigger cell death. When you have many cells doing this at the same time, a lot of tissue can die. In COVID-19, that tissue is mostly in the lung. As the tissue breaks down, the walls of the lungs’ tiny air sacs become leaky and fill with fluid, causing pneumonia and starving the blood of oxygen.

As I said, I was told that vitamin D3 is the key that unlocks the cytokine and allows it to do its job. If there is not enough D3 then the cytokines build up and become destructive. I am no expert, I’m just parroting what I was told.

• Like 1

Sigh...Some people

Was this guy not smart enough to know the difference between freedom of expression and shopping in a privately owned enterprise who can dictate their own rules?

Good for the Costco manager...

And for all the people who're "boycotting" Costco because of the mask policy, I say good...less dummies I have to deal with when I go...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 6