Coronavirus

Reacher

Main headline on CNN this morning:

Americans crowd public places as Covid-19 cases surge in several states

Story title once you click

Americans are crowding public places and officials fear possibility of spikes in coronavirus cases

Those two sentences don't say the same thing, do they?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Main headline on CNN this morning:

Americans crowd public places as Covid-19 cases surge in several states

Story title once you click

Americans are crowding public places and officials fear possibility of spikes in coronavirus cases

Those two sentences don't say the same thing, do they?

Is this an oxymoron?

I don't know if people have seen the NYT cover from yesterday, but it was pretty powerful and I'm not ashamed to say it, moved me to tears. They basically scoured local papers across the US (and gave them full credit in print) for obituaries and published the name, age, hometown, and just one single detail about the person from the obituary.

It was 3 full pages of the paper, including the entire front page. I love the guy from Iowa, who was an "expert builder of bonfires." Was also a Smellermaker fan on the front page - Don Whan, 67, Indiana, (no town listed for some reason) sports fan, who loved Purdue University."

Also, Robert L. Crahen, 87, Waunakee, WI, nicknamed 'Boxcar Bob,' for his luck in shaking dice."

I don't read obituaries as a practice, but found this incredibly sobering. All along I've been fixated on the lives behind these horrible numbers and this really hit me hard. Every person had a story, every person had something that set them a part form others. And hopefully every person was loved and missed by someone.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

So many Twitter bots pushing for reopening and trying to divide the country. Russia wants us on our knees or too keep us too busy arguing with each other.

So you don't think the country should be reopening?

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So you don't think the country should be reopening?

I did not say that. I was responding to the article @Reacher posted. It shows that many of the Twitter accounts pushing for reopening are simply bots trying to divide us. It's a common Russian strategy online - make us argue with and tear each other down.

I think the country should have a safe, flexible reopening policy that takes geographic locations, population factors, infection factors, and is based on science not emotions or "freedom."

47 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I did not say that. I was responding to the article @Reacher posted. It shows that many of the Twitter accounts pushing for reopening are simply bots trying to divide us. It's a common Russian strategy online - make us argue with and tear each other down.

I think the country should have a safe, flexible reopening policy that takes geographic locations, population factors, infection factors, and is based on science not emotions or "freedom."

I never said you did, I simply asked a question which you answered...

And as far as agendas that seek to divide us, that's happening on both sides of the opening/not opening debate...

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I never said you did, I simply asked a question which you answered...

And as far as agendas that seek to divide us, that's happening on both sides of the opening/not opening debate...

I know why Russian trolls want to divide us, I just have a hard time with US citizens seeking to divide us. I also don't see it as either opening/not opening. Opening is happening. I just would like it to be measured, safe, and in accordance with the local/regional situations.

As someone who works in leadership at a fairly large university School of Medicine, I definitely fall on the side of caution. I can't help it. But I also understand that people want to get back to work and I believe that they should be able to do if they can do so safely. Even here in NYC, we are cautiously reopening things.

I'll also offer two anecdotes from our MDW. Yesterday, we had to go pick up a box of produce in Manhattan. I drove us in, instead of taking the sub. We wore our masks when we got out of the car, of course.

We must have passed within 6 feet of over 350-400 people during our walk and the sidewalks are not very wide in Lower Manhattan. Our of the 350-400, probably 15-20% of them were not wearing any type of mask or bandana. Totally oblivious and I worry about that type of cavalier attitude.

We also live close to Prospect Park and during an early morning run yesterday, noticed that every single trash can was overflowing from parties in the park over the weekend. Have never seen so much trash in the park, even after the 4th of July. Maybe everyone was celebrating AND social distancing? I don't know, I wasn't there. Was drinking on my terrace!

We are wildly optimistic inside as we watch the numbers of deaths and new infections going down here and most other places. But I do worry that people are going to get overconfident and careless, since the news is getting better.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Taking another opportunity to honor my HERO. today Ayden received his diploma from his principal,  asst principal and all the 6th grade teachers. They are going to personally deliver them to every student that would have graduated.  For many this might not be a big deal but knowing what Ayden has overcome and to see him now I truly give all the glory to GOD and my amazing wife and all of the sacrifices she has made to make this day a reality 

IMG_4311.jpg

IMG_4309.jpg

Congratulations to your courageous son on his achievement.  Also to your wife and you for your courage and belief.  Your faith is your strength.  😊

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

I know why Russian trolls want to divide us, I just have a hard time with US citizens seeking to divide us. I also don't see it as either opening/not opening. Opening is happening. I just would like it to be measured, safe, and in accordance with the local/regional situations.

As someone who works in leadership at a fairly large university School of Medicine, I definitely fall on the side of caution. I can't help it. But I also understand that people want to get back to work and I believe that they should be able to do if they can do so safely. Even here in NYC, we are cautiously reopening things.

I'll also offer two anecdotes from our MDW. Yesterday, we had to go pick up a box of produce in Manhattan. I drove us in, instead of taking the sub. We wore our masks when we got out of the car, of course.

We must have passed within 6 feet of over 350-400 people during our walk and the sidewalks are not very wide in Lower Manhattan. Our of the 350-400, probably 15-20% of them were not wearing any type of mask or bandana. Totally oblivious and I worry about that type of cavalier attitude.

We also live close to Prospect Park and during an early morning run yesterday, noticed that every single trash can was overflowing from parties in the park over the weekend. Have never seen so much trash in the park, even after the 4th of July. Maybe everyone was celebrating AND social distancing? I don't know, I wasn't there. Was drinking on my terrace!

We are wildly optimistic inside as we watch the numbers of deaths and new infections going down here and most other places. But I do worry that people are going to get overconfident and careless, since the news is getting better.

People need to understand that nothing has really changed.

We don't have a vaccine, the virus has not gone away. I also am for phasing back to work etc. -- but what is "normal" now? 

People running around without masks are just stupid. It's cavalier, and just plain dumb. I absolutely want us all working and going to school again, this drawn-out situation has been devastating on so many levels. But the returns to work, to schools, etc. must be done safely, and the virus is still here. I don't know why some push back on that. I hope most will get it, and take precautions so that everyone can get on with life.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

We don't have a vaccine, the virus has not gone away. I also am for phasing back to work etc. -- but what is "normal" now? 

People running around without masks are just stupid. It's cavalier, and just plain dumb. I absolutely want us all working and going to school again, this drawn-out situation has been devastating on so many levels. But the returns to work, to schools, etc. must be done safely, and the virus is still here. I don't know why some push back on that. I hope most will get it, and take precautions so that everyone can get on with life.

Rod Serling would have a field day with this pandemic.  "The Monsters Are On Maple Street" comes to mind from The Twilight Zone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I'm still astonished that people still act as if they're being "brave" for not wearing a mask. It's not about being protected, it's about protecting others incase you have it and are asymptomatic. Nobody wants death. Everybody wants to get back to work and get the economy going. My friend was baaaahh'd at (as in sheep) the other day in Target clearly by people who don't understand this premise. Ironically, my friend was wearing a mask as a courtesy to the people baaahing at her.

WTF is wrong with people right now? 

It's simple math. Wearing a mask decreases R or the reproductive rate. If R is lower, it decreases the severity or the chances of another wave from happening. Even if you don't believe a second wave is coming, or the numbers are overstated, or the virus 'isn't that bad', wouldn't it be smart to wear one in public places......just in case you're wrong? Because if the cases go up and we flirt with our ICU bed capacity again, it's not us who will be be deciding to issue another lock down; it will be the government and out of our control. How about we don't give them a reason to contemplate this scenario by being cautious and looking out for each other? The risk reward is in our favor on this one because there is no risk for wearing a mask (other than being a little irritated behind the ears)...it's pure reward! 

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Taking another opportunity to honor my HERO. today Ayden received his diploma from his principal,  asst principal and all the 6th grade teachers. They are going to personally deliver them to every student that would have graduated.  For many this might not be a big deal but knowing what Ayden has overcome and to see him now I truly give all the glory to GOD and my amazing wife and all of the sacrifices she has made to make this day a reality 

IMG_4311.jpg

IMG_4309.jpg

Congratulations 

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I absolutely do not get the refusal to wear a mask thing.  Such a simple thing to follow that reflects concern for your fellow man.  

• Like 4

Nothing weak about doing something simple to help protect the members of your community.

I can't tell you how many couples we see here where the woman is wearing a mask and the man is not. No bandanna around the neck, no mask off to the side. No face coverings of any kind. It boggles the mind how insecure these people must be to feel like wearing a mask makes them look weak. Or maybe they just don't care about the people in their community/neighborhood.

Lots of European tourists seem to not get the memo either - and honestly I can't see why you would want to fly to NYC right now when most places are closed or only doing carryout/delivery.