Coronavirus

Reacher

7 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Small sample size and just my gut assessment of following the Georgia curve since things started opening up. The number of cases have had a couple of additional humps as people have been going out and about. Most doing their part of social distancing. Many not though. On the other hand deaths has been on a steady decline. Seems to me the at risk people are taking care of themselves but the ones not as much at risk are not doing such a good job. I see this every day going back and forth to work!

Same here. it seems like here in Northwest Indiana that people are becoming more lax by the day. I’m steadily seeing more gatherings and less masks. 

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

Clarification on ‘already been impacted’? Some of the most vulnerable have been impacted, but are you saying a majority of the vulnerable have already been impacted, thus a majority of those deaths have already occurred for that segment of the population? 

or do you just mean of those who have tested positive?

As a general rule, I'm talking about the virus affecting the most susceptible.  Why do some patients in a nursing home get the virus and others do not?  Why does a husband get the virus and his wife does not?  Why does one meat-packing worker die of the virus, but his co-worker only get minor symptoms?  Much like many other diseases, some people are more vulnerable to the worst the disease has to offer than others.  I don't know why, and I doubt anyone does.  

Will people continue to get sick and die of the virus?  Yes.  Eventually, however, as with other diseases, even if there is no vaccine, the number of people susceptible to serious impacts of the virus will be less abundant. 

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

As a general rule, I'm talking about the virus affecting the most susceptible.  Why do some patients in a nursing home get the virus and others do not?  Why does a husband get the virus and his wife does not?  Why does one meat-packing worker die of the virus, but his co-worker only get minor symptoms?  Much like many other diseases, some people are more vulnerable to the worst the disease has to offer than others.  I don't know why, and I doubt anyone does.  

Will people continue to get sick and die of the virus?  Yes.  Eventually, however, as with other diseases, even if there is no vaccine, the number of people susceptible to serious impacts of the virus will be less abundant. 

Got ya. I thought you were saying that overall they were less abundant right now.

I keep on saying it will be interesting when/if we eventually learn why this effects some more than others. 

Interesting story related to this. I found out I’m a genetic carrier for Hemochromatosis, which is a disease that is responsible for an increased absorption of iron from the gastrointestinal tract. You’re more likely to be a carrier if you ancestors of Northern and Western European descent. 

The reason for this dates back to the Bubonic Plague because most of those who survived the plague had hemochromatosis. Europeans who were not yet stricken by the later problems of hemochromatosis were able to fend-off the bubonic plague by absorbing all of the iron and keeping it in cells, leaving little for the pathogen. 

...eventually we’ll find out why some are asymptomatic and others get hit hard. It could be something as random as increase iron absorption. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

And only 7% of the US population has been tested.

Speaking of Corona....did you see your compadre Karen in NYC go ballistic and cough on someone yesterday because she was upset someone said something to her about not wearing a mask? In a matter of an hour this girls name, education, job,etc....is out there. I'll let people find on their own but scary times. I think it's people are so beat down they just lose it.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Speaking of Corona....did you see your compadre Karen in NYC go ballistic and cough on someone yesterday because she was upset someone said something to her about not wearing a mask? In a matter of an hour this girls name, education, job,etc....is out there. I'll let people find on their own but scary times. I think it's people are so beat down they just lose it.

I DID! That video is insane. I think they ID'd her on Twitter and if that's her she works at Cornell Medical Center. Can't imagine she will have a job for much longer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I DID! That video is insane. I think they ID'd her on Twitter and if that's her she works at Cornell Medical Center. Can't imagine she will have a job for much longer.

That's the thing. Coffee on a Friday and unemployed on Monday.....and people are still doing dumb stuff like this. The look she made at end of video was the moment she goes oh boy....my life is done for awhile. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the thing. Coffee on a Friday and unemployed on Monday.....and people are still doing dumb stuff like this. The look she made at end of video was the moment she goes oh boy....my life is done for awhile. 

That was my favorite part - when they slowed it down and zeroed in on her expression. She knew her life was going to be a bit different from that moment.

How about not act like such an a**hole to your fellow citizens?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Wow! That's a powerful video.

Yes. It is. Kinda long, but well worth the watch.  Nurse served in Iraq. And does not mince words.  Calling the doctors in that hospital... murderers.  Plus she has documentation, and video evidence to back up her story.

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Yes. It is. Kinda long, but well worth the watch.  Nurse served in Iraq. And does not mince words.  Calling the doctors in that hospital... murderers.  Plus she has documentation, and video evidence to back up her story.

Finally I understand why my daughter dropped out of nursing school, she said the doctors she worked with were idiots and yet thought they were god’s! Thanks to and praying for this girl!

29 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Finally I understand why my daughter dropped out of nursing school, she said the doctors she worked with were idiots and yet thought they were god’s! Thanks to and praying for this girl!

I am actually concerned about her well being... as in addition to the video, I understand she has done interviews on some news networks, as a result of the video.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I am actually concerned about her well being... as in addition to the video, I understand she has done interviews on some news networks, as a result of the video.

A YouTube video produced by Journeyman Pictures sharing Olszewski's experience was released on Tuesday. Since its release, health workers like Turntable Health founder Dr. Zubin Damania -- or ZDoggMD on YouTube -- have refuted her claims, calling her a conspiracy theorist and anti-vaxxer with a personal agenda.

There is now a Change.org petition demanding an investigation into her career.

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

A YouTube video produced by Journeyman Pictures sharing Olszewski's experience was released on Tuesday. Since its release, health workers like Turntable Health founder Dr. Zubin Damania -- or ZDoggMD on YouTube -- have refuted her claims, calling her a conspiracy theorist and anti-vaxxer with a personal agenda.

There is now a Change.org petition demanding an investigation into her career.

SMH. How dare anyone cross the grain. So dishonorable.

A lot of talk on the internet. Back and forth as to hospitals getting paid over $30,000 if they have diagnosed a patient with covid. Even if the patient did not come in with covid, as the military nurse claimed in the subject video.  And almost $40,000 if they put that patient on a ventilator.  Should the patient die. 

This is going to be an interesting discussion going forward.  And I am not surprised by any backlash. 

10 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So, I am having a pergola built and the installers are Amish. Supposed to be here Thursday. Going to keep my distance and going to keep my wife, who is at a higher risk, as far from them as possible.

Weighing the wife’s desire to have this done ASAP v waiting for a while 

Post a pic in the Landscaping thread when complete

4 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

i guess people in Manhattan don't realize we are still in a pandemic. Full disclosure, we would never walk down St. Marks on a weekend night b/c of all the trashy people lined up on the street, but still...

https://twitter.com/hellolanemoore/status/1271641826252988417?s=20https://twitter.com/hellolanemoore/status/1271641826252988417?s=20

The behavior in the video is reckless and deserves to be called out.  That said, I take exception to the position this Lane Moore guy has taken with tying it into the protests.  His flippant comment is exactly what is wrong with both of these major stories.  For many that are commenting, it's an all or nothing position. One side is 100% wrong while the other is 100% right.  It does not work that way,

In this case, yes, this street gathering is likely to spread the coronavirus.  But, so are large gatherings of protesters.  So, no, there is no reason to 'skip that theory' as he says so in his post.  The reality is neither example should be overlooked as a cause in the virus spreading.  He could have posted the same video, called it irresponsible, and left out the editorial comment.  Americans need to stop being hypocritical and calling out one thing while being accepting something else that has the same consequences.      

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I respect everyone else's positions. 

But I am stubborn and remain consistent, I still believe the best, and less devastating course of action is to let this stupid virus run its course. 

It's very likely going to end up doing that anyway.   I personally think that for the foreseeable future, positive cases will remain high while the death rate continues to decline.  At what point do things like face masks (which I still wear in public) and social distancing (which I still practice as well) become disappear altogether?  After all, both of those things would be useful during a standard flu season, but have never been widely used tools to prevent the spread of the flu.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It's very likely going to end up doing that anyway.   I personally think that for the foreseeable future, positive cases will remain high while the death rate continues to decline.  At what point do things like face masks (which I still wear in public) and social distancing (which I still practice as well) become disappear altogether?  After all, both of those things would be useful during a standard flu season, but have never been widely used tools to prevent the spread of the flu.

Great question really. I've been wondering to what extent this drawn-out pandemic will lead to lasting changes in the way we take precautions against the spread of disease and viruses, I mean the flu kills tens of thousands of people every year. Pretty clear that masks aren't going to stay around, since people en masse take them off immediately when they shouldn't, but maybe we'll see more background type changes, spacing in restaurants, more use of sanitary wipes in grocery stores, etc. That would be a real positive out of all of this.

• Like 1

Was at Home Depot this afternoon.  The workers were not even wearing masks.  Saw about 20 of them while in store and only 1 had a mask on.  Was at Lowes yesterday and all workers had masks on.  You could tell the difference among patrons as well.  50% or more of Lowes customers had masks on.  Probably only 20% of Home Depot customers had a mask on.