Coronavirus

Reacher

I say this in all seriousness and without naïveté but I don’t see the need for masks or tests to even be a political statement, either way.  If it is, it just exemplifies the divisiveness and dysfunction in the discourse amongst all citizens.  If we grind every minutiae of life into whether it’s good or bad for a party and spin, etc., then we are getting away from rolling our sleeves up and solving the problem as has been our common trait for 240 years as a nation  

I say this neutrally.  I have been thinking about the two party system.  You could throw Libertarianism in there too.  As an individual, like anyone, I have a long set of beliefs.  They don’t fit into a nice package within either party.  The parties each have a platform with diverse topics.  Of course, I am not necessarily going to line up with the same party on the entire set of highly diverse topics.  And then even within each party, there are pretty diverse wings, which further complicates it.  If you had 2-3 more parties and then voted in the candidate with the plurality you might get interest from more people who are presently turned off by all parties. I suppose the downside is that, with so many parties, you’d have more groups of losers kind of like in a primary instead of a binary result.  But a loss might not feel as bad for a variety of reasons, but you could probably live with more aspects of the winner.  

In my view there is a common sense middle sensibility.  These are good minded people who want what’s best and have no ill motives.  The problem with our system is the money flowing from special interest groups who often get political extremists churning.  They dominate the landscape while the common sense middle—trying to live hard working lives and hoping for the best—are out in the cold turned off by the system catering to special interests, extremists, etc.  The common sense middle has no need to micromanage day to day politics. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I really didn't "take offense" at anything...

You said this in the "Racial Tensions" thread...

"1) don’t play cute. we’re not stupid. It’s pretty clear to all when you’re dressing up a point to push a political narrative (either “side” of the fence)."

Just pointing out that the non-mods aren't stupid either...

As a matter of fact, Mods should be held to an even higher standard. Posting something that can even be construed as a political narrative (and apparently I'm not the only one who took it as such) should be out of bounds...

Again, just my 2¢...

Sorry if folks took my post as political - I didn't think it was, and I thought it was in-line with other posts and generally the same as what we've been allowing, but I certainly don't want to appear to flout our own rules.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rico said:

I said in one of my posts earlier that there seems to be a lot of "interpretations" being used as to what is political by the authorities that be.  

I can understand and respect this. All I can say is the line is a tough one.

Politics are underlying in this topic. No way it can not be.

I also know there are a wide rage of political persuasions within the mod team. Some are liberal, some are conservative, and KDB is smart enough that I have no clue on his leanings. :)

I say that to show that while it may appear we cherry pick, I assure you it is not the case.

We work hard to not let our own views impact how we moderate.

with that said, I can see where you are coming from.

All I can do is explain our efforts, even when we unintentionally send mixed messages.

We are all human, and this stuff is real life that drum up strong opinions.

Keeping the discussion "safe" on a sports message board is dicey.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

No one knows this forums' rules better than me.

Why ?

Because I was the one who wrote them.  And they were adopted , word for word, by the mods at the time. And posted on HSN 3.0 by Hoosier Faithful.

HSN Rules - Rules - Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

I would like to remind ALL members, including moderators.  That our rules prohibit cursing or the use of curse words.

Thanks to our members  for adhering to our simple rules.

And just as important.  Please all.  Stay safe during this pandemic.

Edited by milehiiu

23 minutes ago, rico said:

Are you gonna be home in time to service your current wife?

She's on a business trip with her boss. He can't seem to do anything without her help.  They take a lot of business trips, even with all the travel restrictions. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Thinking out of the box here. 

Could it be a good thing that people are catching the virus this summer, when it does not appear to be as strong as it was earlier?  The alternative might be those same people catching it in November-March when respiratory illnesses are usually worse.  In other words, will catching the virus in June, July, and August save lives since those people that do so will, in theory, have antibodies to help prevent infection later?

Something to think about.  

I went back to the doctor today because I am still having some problems with breathing.  When I now the yard I am really having problems with being out of breath.  Today they did a EKG and some blood work and both came back alright.  I am going to get echo cardiogram and a stress test scheduled in the next couple of days.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I went back to the doctor today because I am still having some problems with breathing.  When I now the yard I am really having problems with being out of breath.  Today they did a EKG and some blood work and both came back alright.  I am going to get echo cardiogram and a stress test scheduled in the next couple of days.

Best of "luck" in the upcoming tests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Hate to hear that Scott.  Best of luck with the upcoming tests.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, bronkonagurski said:

I got my first hair cut since February today at Great Clips. They took a lot of precautions so I feel okay about it. Mandatory masks and a strict limit on the number of people inside the salon. 

Bought clippers and a trimmer, cut my own hair now - but then less than I used to have...