Coronavirus

Reacher

20 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yes that phase has passed.

My money maker shirt idea: "I Survived the Toilet Paper Shortage of 2020". -- That would sell!

And make the t-shirt sleeveless...

T-shirt sleeves were what the old man used in a pinch when we went camping 😁

• Like 2

ugh. My wife got sent home from work today. An aid at their clinic got a positive test result after having symptoms last week. My wife can't go back to work until 14 days after last contact, which will be next week Tuesday. She hasn't had any symptoms yet - it's been 8 days, so we are pretty sure we're in the clear. 

But apparently the aid was not being careful, going out like normal, hanging with friends, etc. Kinda goes to show you how your actions don't impact just yourself, they set off a chain of events. In this case, the employees she came in contact with can't work and are forced to take PTO (if they have any left after all of this), another employee has a husband who is very compromised at home and the company now has to shut down 2 clinics temporarily for deep cleaning. I'm sure the aid feels horrible, it's not like she's a bad person....but prior careless actions can't be taken back after you test positive. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Had a stress test and a echo test today.  Got the results and the echo was god but the stress test shows a place on my heart that shows that I might have had a heart attach in the past.

Be safe and take the time to heal. My uncle had a heart attack without knowing. 20 years later he's still going strong but made some life changes in the eating/exercise department. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

ugh. My wife got sent home from work today. An aid at their clinic got a positive test result after having symptoms last week. My wife can't go back to work until 14 days after last contact, which will be next week Tuesday. She hasn't had any symptoms yet - it's been 8 days, so we are pretty sure we're in the clear. 

But apparently the aid was not being careful, going out like normal, hanging with friends, etc. Kinda goes to show you how your actions don't impact just yourself, they set off a chain of events. In this case, the employees she came in contact with can't work and are forced to take PTO (if they have any left after all of this), another employee has a husband who is very compromised at home and the company now has to shut down 2 clinics temporarily for deep cleaning. I'm sure the aid feels horrible, it's not like she's a bad person....but prior careless actions can't be taken back after you test positive. 

Dont waste the PTO. Your wife can get unemployment.  Will take 2-3 weeks. But I got it for the week I was off. Employers dont want employees taking unemployment and actively discourage it. But the way it's set up right now if she is being forced to quarantine then it is all but guaranteed.  I got $846 after tax for the week I claimed. 

Another day in the mile household during a pandemic.  Mrs. mile's driver's license expires on July 3. So today. We thought it would be a good time to get on line to see what we need to do to renew.   Found out that we had to set an appointment.For an office miles from out house, while the office just minutes from our house is closed indefinitely.  And the earliest available appointment  was July 9.  So we called the Colorado DMV, concerned about going past the renewal date.  Put on hold for 31 minutes. Only to be told we got the wrong department.  Gave us the number to call about driver license renewals. This was just after 11 a.m. this morning. Called the driver's license number.... only to hear a recording that they were no longer taking calls for the day. We went ahead and set an appointment for July 9. And have a confirmation.

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Another day in the mile household during a pandemic.  Mrs. mile's driver's license expires on July 3. So today. We thought it would be a good time to get on line to see what we need to do to renew.   Found out that we had to set an appointment.For an office miles from out house, while the office just minutes from our house is closed indefinitely.  And the earliest available appointment  was July 9.  So we called the Colorado DMV, concerned about going past the renewal date.  Put on hold for 31 minutes. Only to be told we got the wrong department.  Gave us the number to call about driver license renewals. This was just after 11 a.m. this morning. Called the driver's license number.... only to hear a recording that they were no longer taking calls for the day. We went ahead and set an appointment for July 9. And have a confirmation.

Reminds me, my plates are due every year on 4-28.  Last year, out of curiosity I didnt renew so I could see what happened.  Finally got pulled over by Bloomington PD in August. No ticket, no warning.  Officer asked why they hadn't been renewed. Said I thought the wife had taken care of it and that I would renew as soon as I got home. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Dont waste the PTO. Your wife can get unemployment.  Will take 2-3 weeks. But I got it for the week I was off. Employers dont want employees taking unemployment and actively discourage it. But the way it's set up right now if she is being forced to quarantine then it is all but guaranteed.  I got $846 after tax for the week I claimed. 

Right now I am getting 778 after taxes but the $600 might not be there much longer.  Also if you have any kind vacation or PTO you will have to use that before unemployment kicks in.  I had 64 hours of vacation coming to me and got that in one lump sum.  Since I received that payment I did not get the first 3 weeks I put claims in for.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Reminds me, my plates are due every year on 4-28.  Last year, out of curiosity I didnt renew so I could see what happened.  Finally got pulled over by Bloomington PD in August. No ticket, no warning.  Officer asked why they hadn't been renewed. Said I thought the wife had taken care of it and that I would renew as soon as I got home. 

You got a considerate cop.  Just gonna say.  Around here.  Would have gotten a ticket. And have to pay a fine.

• Like 1

Question. 

If a non-symptomatic person is tested and show anti-bodies, are they reported as a new Covid case?   I ask, because we are hearing about all these athletes that are testing positive, but how many of them are actually currently infected?  For example, what if Michael Penix shows evidence of anti-bodies the first time he is tested at IU's football complex.  Is he forced to quarantine?  Is it possible that, although he was never previously tested,  he actually caught the virus in April, recovered, and is no longer a threat to anyone else?    

Taking it a step further.  When a state like Indiana reports 300 new cases, are all 300 of those people currently infected, or are people who may have been sick in March/April finally getting tested and getting reported as a Covid case?

In other words, other than the presence of anti-bodies, how does a test determine you have Covid?  And, if antibodies are the only way to tell, how does the test determine whether the anti-bodies are 'new' or 'old'.  

19 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Question. 

If a non-symptomatic person is tested and show anti-bodies, are they reported as a new Covid case?   I ask, because we are hearing about all these athletes that are testing positive, but how many of them are actually currently infected?  For example, what if Michael Penix shows evidence of anti-bodies the first time he is tested at IU's football complex.  Is he forced to quarantine?  Is it possible that, although he was never previously tested,  he actually caught the virus in April, recovered, and is no longer a threat to anyone else?    

Taking it a step further.  When a state like Indiana reports 300 new cases, are all 300 of those people currently infected, or are people who may have been sick in March/April finally getting tested and getting reported as a Covid case?

In other words, other than the presence of anti-bodies, how does a test determine you have Covid?  And, if antibodies are the only way to tell, how does the test determine whether the anti-bodies are 'new' or 'old'.  

There are two different tests. One is for antibodies showing a past infection. My personal Dr says these aren't always reliable because of the time lags.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/diagnostic-testing.html

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/serology-overview.html

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Reacher said:

There are two different tests. One is for antibodies showing a past infection. My personal Dr says these aren't always reliable because of the time lags.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/diagnostic-testing.html

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/serology-overview.html

Thanks.

That's kind of what I thought, but then I see things like this on the Indiana Department of Health website.  This is what was reported as new cases yesterday.  What does not make sense is the 'between 4/21 and 6/22' reference.  Has the 4/21 case been sitting in a lab for 2 months waiting to get processed?  Did some Purdue student interning with some county's health department originally misfile the test results with those for livestock pregnancies?  I'm now curious as to how many of those 331 cases are actually tests that happened in the last week.

New Positive Cases

between 04/21/2020 and 06/22/2020

Since this whole thing started, my wife and I had decided to stay put in Brooklyn. We made it through the bad old days with everything shuttered and 24/7 ambulance sirens. Things have been carefully opening up around here in the last few weeks. We could have escaped to our place on the Eastern Shore in Maryland, but it just didn't feel right - NYC has been our home for so long, so we stayed put while our building and neighborhood emptied out. We've grown used to limited carryout at liquor stores and a few restaurants. Almost everyone is good with masks here and we've felt safe. Everyone just wears masks whether you are serving or purchasing.

After we had to put one of our dogs to sleep last Wednesday, we came home and we were just SPENT. Everything reminded us of our sweet Greta and we looked at each other and said, "We have to get out of here."

We packed up the CRV and our other dog and headed south through New Jersey. I hadn't eaten anything in days and hadn't slept in 48 hours b/c I was caring for our pup as she declined. I had to pull over in Delaware to puke on the side of the road - adding that to my life lowlights, but we made it to our place in Maryland.

Once there, we decided to visit our favorite Eastern Shore brewery (RAR Brewery), since they had the street closed down and put picnic tables in the street. We felt safe and of course wore our masks. The masked server immediately told us, "You don't have to wear your masks." We were a bit disconcerted and told him that we were used to wearing our masks in Brooklyn. We kept them on when the server was near, but obviously lowered them to eat and drink.

Two days later, we went to our favorite outdoor dining place on the water in Tilghman's Island. We knew it would be pretty safe, b/c it's tables already separated by more than 6 feet and outdoors on the water. Again, we wore our masks. The wonderful masked server immediately told us we didn't have to wear our masks, while saying he needed to wear his b/c "he was no spring chicken." We kept our masks on and told him that we were used to it.

It's such a weird dynamic for restaurants to make their servers wear masks, but then not require it for diners. It's as if our lives mean more than the people working there. It really left a bad taste in our mouths. Don't necessarily want to make a big deal out of this politically, but why is cool for customers to be unmasked, while everyone serving them is masked.

Is this a thing everywhere?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

We’ve been eating in for several weeks now here in Georgia, and I can say that it’s still mandatory for waitstaff to wear masks. Patrons are optional! Some do and some don’t!

Sorry about the loss in your family!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Since this whole thing started, my wife and I had decided to stay put in Brooklyn. We made it through the bad old days with everything shuttered and 24/7 ambulance sirens. Things have been carefully opening up around here in the last few weeks. We could have escaped to our place on the Eastern Shore in Maryland, but it just didn't feel right - NYC has been our home for so long, so we stayed put while our building and neighborhood emptied out. We've grown used to limited carryout at liquor stores and a few restaurants. Almost everyone is good with masks here and we've felt safe. Everyone just wears masks whether you are serving or purchasing.

After we had to put one of our dogs to sleep last Wednesday, we came home and we were just SPENT. Everything reminded us of our sweet Greta and we looked at each other and said, "We have to get out of here."

We packed up the CRV and our other dog and headed south through New Jersey. I hadn't eaten anything in days and hadn't slept in 48 hours b/c I was caring for our pup as she declined. I had to pull over in Delaware to puke on the side of the road - adding that to my life lowlights, but we made it to our place in Maryland.

Once there, we decided to visit our favorite Eastern Shore brewery (RAR Brewery), since they had the street closed down and put picnic tables in the street. We felt safe and of course wore our masks. The masked server immediately told us, "You don't have to wear your masks." We were a bit disconcerted and told him that we were used to wearing our masks in Brooklyn. We kept them on when the server was near, but obviously lowered them to eat and drink.

Two days later, we went to our favorite outdoor dining place on the water in Tilghman's Island. We knew it would be pretty safe, b/c it's tables already separated by more than 6 feet and outdoors on the water. Again, we wore our masks. The wonderful masked server immediately told us we didn't have to wear our masks, while saying he needed to wear his b/c "he was no spring chicken." We kept our masks on and told him that we were used to it.

It's such a weird dynamic for restaurants to make their servers wear masks, but then not require it for diners. It's as if our lives mean more than the people working there. It really left a bad taste in our mouths. Don't necessarily want to make a big deal out of this politically, but why is cool for customers to be unmasked, while everyone serving them is masked.

Sorry about your dog, that’s always hard. We have Boxers, who tend to have shorter lives than many dogs. Lost our first to cancer, treasuring our current 2.

I really don’t get why people struggle with the idea of wearing masks, they are a key part of driving this virus down - it’s purely a health issue, hate that it has been politicized (please, not pointing any figures anywhere, not a launching point for any politics, just a general statement that this is and should be only a health issue).

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Sorry about your dog, that’s always hard. We have Boxers, who tend to have shorter lives than many dogs. Lost our first to cancer, treasuring our current 2.

I really don’t get why people struggle with the idea of wearing masks, they are a key part of driving this virus down - it’s purely a health issue, hate that it has been politicized (please, not pointing any figures anywhere, not a launching point for any politics, just a general statement that this is and should be only a health issue).

We were lucky that she had a full 15 years of life. Ours was cancer as well. We rescued her and then found out she had cancer. We decided to treat it with chemo and she thrived for 19 months. Unfortunately, it finally spread to her lungs and it was a pretty quick decline form there. She was my lockdown buddy as she and our other dog weren't getting along at the end. We had got used to separating them at 7pm each night - me and my sweet Greta stayed in the living room on the daybed and jammed to records and streamed the Sopranos together, while my wife watched Netflix with the other dog.

I was literally with her 24/7 and then nursed her those last few nights 24/7. Not over it yet, obviously as I'm still babbling about it...

Anyway, yeah masks are not hurting anyone at this point and can only help those around you, especially the most vulnerable in our communities. I always think of my 90 year old grandmother and just put the damn mask on, even when it's hot as hell out.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

We were lucky that she had a full 15 years of life. Ours was cancer as well. We rescued her and then found out she had cancer. We decided to treat it with chemo and she thrived for 19 months. Unfortunately, it finally spread to her lungs and it was a pretty quick decline form there. She was my lockdown buddy as she and our other dog weren't getting along at the end. We had got used to separating them at 7pm each night - me and my sweet Greta stayed in the living room on the daybed and jammed to records and streamed the Sopranos together, while my wife watched Netflix with the other dog.

I was literally with her 24/7 and then nursed her those last few nights 24/7. Not over it yet, obviously as I'm still babbling about it...

Anyway, yeah masks are not hurting anyone at this point and can only help those around you, especially the most vulnerable in our communities. I always think of my 90 year old grandmother and just put the damn mask on, even when it's hot as hell out.

My condolences...I know how much ours mean to us, and losing them hurts...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My condolences...I know how much ours mean to us, and losing them hurts...

Thanks, man. Even though we know going into it that their lives are so short, it's never enough time with them. Greta was such a little comeback kid, they gave us 6 months and she made it another 17 months.

• Like 1

The wife tested positive 2 weeks ago after an ever increasing number of positives in the nursing home she works at. We’ve kissed, hugged, swam, Co-mingled the entire time, as well as our daughter and grand son who live with us. 
Myself, daughter and grandson tests all came back negative today. How is that possible? 
Oh, the wife had a headache fir two days, about a week and a half ago. But she does seem to be her normal level of irritable about everything I say, so there’s that I guess.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Lostin76, sorry for your loss and thanks for sharing the story.  Did you have to pull over and throw up from hunger?  I hadn’t heard of that before. 

Not sure what it was, I rarely get sick like that. I think maybe not eating might have had something to do with it. Hadn't eaten that day or the night before. Also, we were so worried that we couldn't be there with her when she passed b/c of COVID precautions. Thankfully, we were able to be with her as she passed in our laps. Probably just an emotional day - she had kind of become our purpose during all of the crap going on in the world.

1 minute ago, IUskim said:

@Lostin76 sorry to hear about your dog man. That’s a tough blow and hard to deal. Sorry for your loss. 

Thank you, she was such a great pup. Larger than life for such a little dachshund. It's been a week today, so slowly recovering.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Not sure what it was, I rarely get sick like that. I think maybe not eating might have had something to do with it. Hadn't eaten that day or the night before. Also, we were so worried that we couldn't be there with her when she passed b/c of COVID precautions. Thankfully, we were able to be with her as she passed in our laps. Probably just an emotional day - she had kind of become our purpose during all of the crap going on in the world.

Thank you, she was such a great pup. Larger than life for such a little dachshund. It's been a week today, so slowly recovering.

Sad.  

We gave two dadchunds right now. One is 12 years old. The other is 15.

They both still do okay, but they certainly are showing signs that have us anxious.   

Sorry man. Dogs are family to many of us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

The wife tested positive 2 weeks ago after an ever increasing number of positives in the nursing home she works at. We’ve kissed, hugged, swam, Co-mingled the entire time, as well as our daughter and grand son who live with us. 
Myself, daughter and grandson tests all came back negative today. How is that possible? 
Oh, the wife had a headache fir two days, about a week and a half ago. But she does seem to be her normal level of irritable about everything I say, so there’s that I guess.  

Have there been any studies about natural immunity?  I've not heard of any, but it is strange the rest of you are negative with that much contact.  

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Have you ever heard of the rainbow bridge short story/poem? It’s something you should read if you haven’t. It’s a kind of nice thing to read after losing a good pup.