Coronavirus

Reacher

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

I work with a guy who's wife is a teacher. He told me yesterday the plan is class monday and Tuesday, off Wednesday for deep cleaning, class thursday and friday. Masks mandatory and bathrooms cleaned, including by teachers, after every bathroom trip. If they do that I have a hard time seeing how they will have the time to teach.

Imagine trying to keep masks on 20 first graders and cleaning the bathroom after each use. Sounds exhausting.

I've heard similar and your question is right on target. In addition to what you describe, on top of the in-school days, there will be students/families who elect to keep children homes (underlying conditions, for example). So teachers will have to have on-line prepared essentially every day unless there is some special mechanism in place to keep that off their plate. Just seems like - while having "normal" classes/school is what everyone would prefer - under the circumstances it's so complicated it will just end up being counter productive.

• Like 1

Greater Clark School district, which is down here in Southern Indiana adjacent to the one my kids attend released their plans earlier this week.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/greater-clark-county-schools-revises-first-semester-calendar-releases-return-plans/ar-BB15Tql5

Some highlights

• 3 learning options offered to students
  • Traditional classroom will be one of the options available, with specified dates set aside for e-learning
  • School will start as scheduled on July 29th
  • No Fall Break.  2 weeks originally scheduled for fall break will be e-learning instead.
  • E-learning will also take place the week of and the week after Thanksgiving
  • Extended winter break will begin on December 5th.
  • Spring semester schedule will be determined at a later date.
  • Anyone entering a school facility will be screened for temperature
  • Masks will be recommended, but not required
  • Plan is dependent on the State of Indiana to go to Phase 5 of its re-opening plan as scheduled on July 4th

Plans for full time e-learning at home, or even those with one or two days a week, just do not work unless society is in a total lockdown.  Dual income families, or single-parent families simply have no way to keep young children at home unless at least one parent is working from home as well.  It worked 'okay' for April & May because everything but essential services was shut down.  That's not going to be the case this fall.  Indiana, for example, will be 100% open unless cases spike again. Parents have to work, and having children physically at school all day allows that tp happen.  Basically, if we don't open up schools, we can't open anything else either.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Greater Clark School district, which is down here in Southern Indiana adjacent to the one my kids attend released their plans earlier this week.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/greater-clark-county-schools-revises-first-semester-calendar-releases-return-plans/ar-BB15Tql5

Some highlights

• 3 learning options offered to students
  • Traditional classroom will be one of the options available, with specified dates set aside for e-learning
  • School will start as scheduled on July 29th
  • No Fall Break.  2 weeks originally scheduled for fall break will be e-learning instead.
  • E-learning will also take place the week of and the week after Thanksgiving
  • Extended winter break will begin on December 5th.
  • Spring semester schedule will be determined at a later date.
  • Anyone entering a school facility will be screened for temperature
  • Masks will be recommended, but not required
  • Plan is dependent on the State of Indiana to go to Phase 5 of its re-opening plan as scheduled on July 4th

I worry that after this year, there's going to be an even bigger teacher shortage. Teachers are basically going to have to teach in person and online at the same time. There is already a bad teacher shortage, and I would guess a lot of people aren't going to be signing up for the conditions teachers will have to deal with from this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We kept our summer associate program and are trying to get them involved, but realistically it’s difficult to get them any exposure.  Coming into the office is optional until August 1, even for staff.  

We’re basically having a shareholder fight over it. I’m on the side of keeping it despite the environment, the cost of the program in the grand scheme of things isn’t that high and it’s an investment in your lawyers to be. The misers of the firm are up in arms about it. Does everything have to be about money? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Plans for full time e-learning at home, or even those with one or two days a week, just do not work unless society is in a total lockdown.  Dual income families, or single-parent families simply have no way to keep young children at home unless at least one parent is working from home as well.  It worked 'okay' for April & May because everything but essential services was shit down.  That's not going to be the case this fall.  Indiana, for example, will be 100% open unless cases spike again. Parents have to work, and having children physically at school all day allows that tp happen.  Basically, if we don't open up schools, we can't open anything else either.

IU isn’t 100 percent open the school has implemented a number of measures to open including online class availability for a percentage of the class, spacing in clsssrooms etc 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

IU isn’t 100 percent open the school has implemented a number of measures to open including online class availability for a percentage of the class, spacing in clsssrooms etc 

When I said 'Indiana', I was referring to the state, not the school.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Plans for full time e-learning at home, or even those with one or two days a week, just do not work unless society is in a total lockdown.  Dual income families, or single-parent families simply have no way to keep young children at home unless at least one parent is working from home as well.  It worked 'okay' for April & May because everything but essential services was shut down.  That's not going to be the case this fall.  Indiana, for example, will be 100% open unless cases spike again. Parents have to work, and having children physically at school all day allows that tp happen.  Basically, if we don't open up schools, we can't open anything else either.

I bet a lot of Grandparent are going to be watching kids.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

We are doing Elearning due to our boy having some recent issues with pneumonia.

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

We’re basically having a shareholder fight over it. I’m on the side of keeping it despite the environment, the cost of the program in the grand scheme of things isn’t that high and it’s an investment in your lawyers to be. The misers of the firm are up in arms about it. Does everything have to be about money? 

Sounds familiar.  Lol. Some things are universal.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

What is education looking like in people's areas? In Illinois we're planning on opening in August with masks, as much distancing as possible, and other precautions, but I just don't see how we'll be able to do it in person.

We struggle to find subs for teachers in the best of times, and what is going to happen when kids and teachers start getting it? What's it looking like for everyone else?

On 6/23/2020 at 8:35 PM, Parakeet Jones said:

School board  for the district I work in approved a revised calendar tonight to be preemptive against a second wave. Our two week fall break is now eLearning as is the two days before and the week after Thanksgiving. We are off most of December. 

I posted the above a little earlier in the thread. 

• Like 2

So, Gilead Sciences which just got government approval for its coronavirus drug remdisivir, announces different pricing levels, based on whether someone is in a government sponsored health plan like Medicare, or private insurance. Drug is supposed to speed up healing by up to 4 days, thus reducing the number of days needed in a hospital room. Cost benefit, I can see. Multi-tiered pricing I kinda get. Guess the idea of corporations doing what is for the common good is whimsical thinking.

I hope that insurance companies will do the right thing and fast track these new solutions to their covered medications lists.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/gilead-sets-coronavirus-drug-remdesivir-price

At no point in human history has anyone been prepared for a pandemic, we cannot and never have been able to to control nature.  Take the proper precautions and let it ride. Nothing we can do will stop it so let it ride.  

We cant experience another great depression because 1% of the US population might die.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

To circle back on the question of "do we have enough tests right now," the answer in AZ is pretty plainly "no."

If you try to get tested in Texas - at least in The greater Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio areas, then:

1) you can’t unless you’re exhibiting symptoms, so no testing for asymptotic people, and 

2) Good luck waiting hours in lines if you are allowed to be tested. 

Horrible planning and preparation all around