Coronavirus

Reacher

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I know exactly what the virus can do. It can kill .05% of people that GET the disease. 

My family is irrelevant to what I'm talking about. My family and I can decide the best route to take at gatherings and what not. 

That is your right just as it is the right of the IHSAA to mandate you wear a mask on the sidelines.  I guess it will be up to you to decide if you really want to coach this year or not.  If we as a society ever want to get things back up to normal then we might have to do somethings that are a little inconvenient for awhile to accomplish this.  Maybe earlier if more people took this stuff more serious and wore mask the we might not still be in this situation.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is your right just as it is the right of the IHSAA to mandate you wear a mask on the sidelines.  I guess it will be up to you to decide if you really want to coach this year or not.  If we as a society ever want to get things back up to normal then we might have to do somethings that are a little inconvenient for awhile to accomplish this.  Maybe earlier if more people took this stuff more serious and wore mask the we might not still be in this situation.

I am going to wear a mask, at times, during practice and while I'm teaching. To MAKE a coach do it during a game... absolutely tomfoolery. 

Edited by btownqb

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't like wearing mask because it makes it harder to breath especially wearing glasses.  I will not go inside a store without one though because there are way to many people in the store to not to wear one.

I will say. That even inside air conditioned stores... it was hot.  Could not wait to get to the car to take it off.

30 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I understand and respect your fears and worries, but I do not have those. Doesn't make me wrong or you wrong... I am not the one telling you how you should operate your life though. And thats my issue. You want to wear a mask, wear one, do it. Do it forever. That doesnt have anything to do with me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I understand and respect your fears and worries, but I do not have those. Doesn't make me wrong or you wrong... I am not the one telling you how you should operate your life though. And thats my issue. You want to wear a mask, wear one, do it. Do it forever. That doesnt have anything to do with me. 

Looks like starting on July 9th in will be mandatory to wear a mask in Indiana.  Did not hear the whole story on the news but I thought that was what they were saying.  The thing is that you not wearing a mask does effect other people.

Edited by IU Scott

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Looks like starting on July 9th in will be mandatory to wear a mask in Indiana.  Did not hear the whole story on the news but I thought that was what they were saying.  The thing is that you not wearing a mask does effect other people.

It always did lol ALWAYS 

If youre scared. Stay home. 

• Like 2

So the latest is that we have a new record of 50,000 new cases in one day, Florida alone had 10,000 new cases. Texas’s Governor has today issued an order requiring basically everyone in Texas to wear masks in public. That’s a significant move, and one that is clearly driven by how bad it has gotten here. Good for the Texas Governor.

It seems it’s really hard to have actual discussion here, and generally, of what’s actually going on, how serious it is, and what needs to be done to get the pandemic under control. Some push back hard on what they need to do individually. 
That’s understandable in that this has gone on for months, peoples’ livelihoods, housing and ways of life have been seriously impacted, and people are frustrated.

But the reality is that the pandemic is not under control, unlike in many other countries we are spiking again, and with significantly spiking infection and hospitalization rates in multiple states, it’s important that we find the best ways to work together to beat the virus down while getting our economy and lives going again.

Fwiw, this is why I get more and more frustrated here with posts that pull up some tweet etc and then try to promote the blatant falsehood that things are getting better etc. they’re not.
We all want to  get there, hopefully people will overcome frustration and division and work to do things that we know help - practice social distancing in public, wear masks in public as reasonably possible, wash your hands regularly, stay home if you have any symptoms, etc. 

• Like 1

If we could get 100% of people over age 5 to wear a mask every time they leave their house, the virus numbers would get to a level where we would not be worrying about half the things we are worrying about.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

It seems it’s really hard to have actual discussion here, and generally, of what’s actually going on, how serious it is, and what needs to be done to get the pandemic under control. Some push back hard on what they need to do individually. 

Fwiw, this is why I get more and more frustrated here with posts that pull up some tweet etc and then try to promote the blatant falsehood that things are getting better etc. they’re not.

Meh.  Discussion when everyone is in total agreement isn't really discussion, certainly not of the interesting variety.  I welcome different opinions.  Reality is that both you and the individuals you are arguing with are posting facts.  Nobody is posting lies.  Facts are facts and everyone uses the acts that support their position.

Here is an example, and I beg people not to turn the discussion in the direction, because that discussion would certainly cross the political line.

Fact:  The 2nd amendment gives individuals the right to bear arms

Fact:  Over 38,000 people in the U.S. were killed by guns in 2019

Both of those things are facts and someone arguing their position is going to latch onto the one that supports their belief.  That said, to try and argue the other is not true is stupid.  The other statement is still factual, whether you or I agree with it or not.  

It works the same way in any discussion, including one on Covid.   The situation in Houston can be used by those that believe things are getting worse.  It is,  The declining death rate, or improvement in places like New York, can be used by those looking for something positive.  The reality is that both arguments are based on facts,  There is no right.  There is no wrong.  

Even when the discussion veers from facts, people are entitled to their opinion.  If @btownqb wants to express his displeasure about wearing a mask, it's his right.  At the same time, @IU Scott has the right to his counter argument.  For what it's worth, I agree with Scott's position on masks,  But, I'm also not going to get bent out of shape because Btwon, or anyone else has a different opinion.  Sometimes your responses come across like you are taking people's disagreement with you personally.

Hell, if we all agreed, this would be a pretty boring site.

Edit - I will admit that @mrflynn03infatuation with that woman in the picture I posted is a little bit disturbing. 

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 6

According to the Indiana Department of Health website, there were 18 'new' Covid hospitalizations on 7/1 in the state.  Assuming there is no late reporting numbers, that would be the lowest number of 'new' hospitalizations in the state on a given day since 3/14.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

The 20 states with the highest percentage of cases per 1 million in population

• New York
  • New Jersey
  • R. Island
  • Massachusetts
  • D,C,
  • Louisiana
  • Connecticut
  • Arizona
  • Delaware
  • Illinois
  • Maryland
  • Nebraska
  • Mississippi
  • Iowa
  • Alabama
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • South Dakota
  • south Carolina
  • Virginia

Indiana is 25th

The 20 states with the highest percentage of deaths per 1 million in population

• New Jersey
  • New York
  • Connecticut
  • Massachusetts
  • Rhode Island
  • D.C.
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan
  • Illinois
  • Maryland
  • Pennsylvania
  • Delaware
  • Indiana
  • Mississippi
  • Colorado
  • New Hampshire
  • Georgia
  • Minnesota
  • Ohio
  • Arizona

It will be interesting to look at these numbers again in 3-4 weeks to see how the current spike changes things.  As of right now, both lists, especially the 'death' list are skewed to the initial outbreak.

Of the 19 deaths he State of Indiana reported today, only 6 of them occurred in the last 7 days.  In fact, 7 of the deaths occurred 30 or more days ago.  Hard to get a good read on what is really happening when the reporting is so fragmented.  

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Of the 19 deaths he State of Indiana reported today, only 6 of them occurred in the last 7 days.  In fact, 7 of the deaths occurred 30 or more days ago.  Hard to get a good read on what is really happening when the reporting is so fragmented.  

It really is frustrating. The information is so dang fragmented. Not just the stats.

I just read a new report on hydroxychloriquine. In Michigan, the doctors are swearing it has saved lives.

The very next article said it has no impact and it will make you grow a 2nd head.

Just seems there is almost no ability to get unfiltered facts or reliable statistics. Everything has an agenda.

• Like 2