Coronavirus

Reacher

11 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

. Everything has an agenda.

Those three words pretty much sum things up for everything Covid related.  It truly is unfortunate.  I personally think that the State of Indiana is in a pretty good spot to really have a breakthrough, but I think making masks mandatory in public places provides the most direct line to get there.  But, as of yet, Indiana has not pulled the trigger on that.

The mask thing is a mystery.  They are uncomfortable, no doubt.  But, if wearing them takes weeks or months off this pandemic, I can't think of a rational reason why not to.  My kids are scheduled to go back to school on July 29th.  If the state were to make masks mandatory, they would wear them without complaint because everyone else would be wearing them as well.  Unfortunately, if wearing them was simply voluntary, the masks would be off the second they were out of my sight.  They don't have the understanding of how their actions impact not only other people, but society as a whole.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

It really is frustrating. The information is so dang fragmented. Not just the stats.

I just read a new report on hydroxychloriquine. In Michigan, the doctors are swearing it has saved lives.

The very next article said it has no impact and it will make you grow a 2nd head.

Just seems there is almost no ability to get unfiltered facts or reliable statistics. Everything has an agenda.

That's been the most disappointing thing for me. As a science major and a science teacher, the "science" that has gone on since this outbreak has started is embarrassing.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

That's been the most disappointing thing for me. As a science major and a science teacher, the "science" that has gone on since this outbreak has started is embarrassing.

I was very disappointed when I heard how rare asymptomatic people were to pass on the virus. Very disappointed. We were fed complete lies about that for 2.5 months and people believed it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

It really is frustrating. The information is so dang fragmented. Not just the stats.

I just read a new report on hydroxychloriquine. In Michigan, the doctors are swearing it has saved lives.

The very next article said it has no impact and it will make you grow a 2nd head.

Just seems there is almost no ability to get unfiltered facts or reliable statistics. Everything has an agenda.

there's been a lot of people not willing to say that they didn't know enough facts about the virus. I do understand how someone in power would struggle with saying "we simply need more info at this time"... but there were some flat out lies fed to us. 

• Like 2

Just now, btownqb said:

I was very disappointed when I heard how rare asymptomatic people were to pass on the virus. Very disappointed. We were fed complete lies about that for 2.5 months and people believed it. 

It will change again tomorrow. The most frustrating thing is there is seemingly no "truth".

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

The most frustrating thing is there is seemingly no "truth".

This is the truth.  

Oh wait, if I say what you said is the truth, then there actually is some truth, which contradicts what you said.  I'm so confused.  

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Where did you see that? Everything that I’ve seen says the opposite.

8 minutes ago, rico said:

I say take the mask "issues" to the polls.  Let Hoosiers(other states) vote as to wear/not to wear.

I don't think that would be a good idea because no one likes to where them and a lot of people would vote no.  People will.make bad decisions when it comes to the well being if the masses.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think that would be a good idea because no one likes to where them and a lot of people would vote no.  People will.make bad decisions when it comes to the well being if the masses.

We’ll dadgum, and I though Marx was dead. I stand corrected. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Where are the mods to issue warnings when you need them. You have know idea how much I want to jump in on this marginal political discussion!

That being said sample of one, brother-in law of my friend has a cube next to a person who tested positive. He was told to and wanted to get tested. He shows up at work with no symptoms and no fever. His test came back positive. Now everybody is worried!

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Where did you see that? Everything that I’ve seen says the opposite.

Maybe something similar to this https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/09/who-comments-asymptomatic-spread-covid-19/

Maybe, if these so called experts could show some humility and admit they really dont know what they are doing right now and let us give them time to figure it out.

But we live in a world of instant gratification and most of our peers are too dumb to wait for anything that takes time. 

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

1.5 weeks ago it was everywhere 

5 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Maybe something similar to this https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/09/who-comments-asymptomatic-spread-covid-19/

Maybe, if these so called experts could show some humility and admit they really dont know what they are doing right now and let us give them time to figure it out.

But we live in a world of instant gratification and most of our peers are too dumb to wait for anything that takes time. 

You may want to reread that article you posted. The WHO went back on what they said; the whole point of article. Presymptomatic spread is broadly believed to happen, it’s the whole point of wearing masks.

“To some, it came across as if the WHO was suggesting that people without symptoms weren’t driving spread. Some studies, however, have estimated that people without symptoms (whether truly asymptomatic or presymptomatic) could be responsible for up to half of the spread, which is why the virus has been so difficult to contain. Isolating people who are sick, for example, does not prevent the possibility they already passed the virus on to others. Some modeling studies have assumed quite widespread asymptomatic transmission.

“The WHO created confusion yesterday when it reported that asymptomatic patients rarely spread the disease,” an email from the Harvard Global Health Institute said Tuesday. “All of the best evidence suggests that people without symptoms can and do readily spread SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19. In fact, some evidence suggests that people may be most infectious in the days before they become symptomatic — that is, in the presymptomatic phase when they feel well, have no symptoms, but may be shedding substantial amounts of virus.”

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

You may want to reread that article you posted. The WHO went back on what they said; the whole point of article. Presymptomatic spread is broadly believed to happen, it’s the whole point of wearing masks.

“To some, it came across as if the WHO was suggesting that people without symptoms weren’t driving spread. Some studies, however, have estimated that people without symptoms (whether truly asymptomatic or presymptomatic) could be responsible for up to half of the spread, which is why the virus has been so difficult to contain. Isolating people who are sick, for example, does not prevent the possibility they already passed the virus on to others. Some modeling studies have assumed quite widespread asymptomatic transmission.

“The WHO created confusion yesterday when it reported that asymptomatic patients rarely spread the disease,” an email from the Harvard Global Health Institute said Tuesday. “All of the best evidence suggests that people without symptoms can and do readily spread SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19. In fact, some evidence suggests that people may be most infectious in the days before they become symptomatic — that is, in the presymptomatic phase when they feel well, have no symptoms, but may be shedding substantial amounts of virus.”

Which is why we shouldn't be listening to WHO in the first place...We may as well take everything Xi Jinping says as the truth too...

"“From the data we have, it still seems to be rare that an asymptomatic person actually transmits onward to a secondary individual,” Maria Van Kerkhove, PhD, WHO’s COVID-19 technical lead and an infectious disease epidemiologist, said June 8 at a news briefing from the agency’s Geneva headquarters/"

Doesn't seem to be much ambiguity to that statement at all...

“The WHO created confusion yesterday"

Yes, funny how that seems to be a trend...

• Like 1