Coronavirus

Reacher

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Which is why we shouldn't be listening to WHO in the first place...We may as well take everything Xi Jinping says as the truth too...

"“From the data we have, it still seems to be rare that an asymptomatic person actually transmits onward to a secondary individual,” Maria Van Kerkhove, PhD, WHO’s COVID-19 technical lead and an infectious disease epidemiologist, said June 8 at a news briefing from the agency’s Geneva headquarters/"

Doesn't seem to be much ambiguity to that statement at all...

“The WHO created confusion yesterday"

Yes, funny how that seems to be a trend...

In her defense she did blame it on a misunderstanding of semantics between asymptotic and presymptomatic. But people heard what they wanted to hear and ran with it. Even experts in the WHO didn’t agree with how she framed her wording. 

I think she meant ‘asymptomatic’ as in people who never develop symptoms at all during the entire life span of the virus. Obviously those cases are harder to catch and trace because people don’t get tested. Thus, there’s very little data. Presymptomatic refers the span of 1-3 days before symptoms appear. She never technically disputed presymptomatic spread. 

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think that would be a good idea because no one likes to where them and a lot of people would vote no.  People will.make bad decisions when it comes to the well being if the masses.

So you throw democracy out the window on the virus?  Hmmmmmmm.

• Like 1

Anyone familiar with this guy? Seems pretty adamant virus was  tweaked in a lab. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/lawrencesellin?lang=en

Disclaimer--I'm not endorsing this position. 

Look like he has some good credentials - Lawrence Sellin, Ph.D. is a retired U.S. Army Reserve colonel, who previously worked at the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases and conducted basic and clinical research in the pharmaceutical industry. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

In her defense she did blame it on a misunderstanding of semantics between asymptotic and presymptomatic. But people heard what they wanted to hear and ran with it. Even experts in the WHO didn’t agree with how she framed her wording. 

I think she meant ‘asymptomatic’ as in people who never develop symptoms at all during the entire life span of the virus. Obviously those cases are harder to catch and trace because people don’t get tested. Thus, there’s very little data. Presymptomatic refers the span of 1-3 days before symptoms appear. She never technically disputed presymptomatic spread. 

Exactly, but people hear what they want to hear and then go to efforts to cast doubt on the measures taken that have already shown to be effective in curtailing the virus, wearing masks is critically important, which is why, now, states are turning to mandating masks to bring the spread back into line. 

55 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Exactly, but people hear what they want to hear and then go to efforts to cast doubt on the measures taken that have already shown to be effective in curtailing the virus, wearing masks is critically important, which is why, now, states are turning to mandating masks to bring the spread back into line. 

There may be a few people who argue against wearing a mask. But it is definitely a minority group. Even here, where we see a wide range of views, maybe one or two people are shunning the idea of a mask.

Honestly, I can only think of one poster who ranted against wearing a mask, while coaching.

There has been a wide range of differing opinions here.  But social distancing and wearing a mask seems to be something most everybody here agrees on.

Now go to wal-mart, and clearly that is not the case. Way too many people just are not doing what needs to be done. But I have not seen that approach being defended here.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

people hear what they want to hear 

For years, I thought my wife was screaming 'Oh Fouls!' while we were in bed.

Turns out she was screaming "No Howls'

And, here I thought she liked my wolf call while we were in the throes of passion.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

For years, I thought my wife was screaming 'Oh Fouls!' while we were in bed.

Turns out she was screaming "No Howls'

And, here I thought she liked my wolf call while we were in the throes of passion.  

For clarification was that wife #1, #2, #3, #4 or #5?  Inquiring minds want to know.

10 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

There may be a few people who argue against wearing a mask. But it is definitely a minority group. Even here, where we see a wide range of views, maybe one or two people are shunning the idea of a mask.

Honestly, I can only think of one poster who ranted against wearing a mask, while coaching.

There has been a wide range of differing opinions here.  But social distancing and wearing a mask seems to be something most everybody here agrees on.

Now go to wal-mart, and clearly that is not the case. Way too many people just are not doing what needs to be done. But I have not seen that approach being defended here.

I don't think I've seen anyone shunning the idea, but there is a sensitivity toward erosion of freedoms in play with some, me included. 

As I've said, I wear a mask...I social distance...and I limit my trips out...I'm not in love with the fact that it's been mandated, or that there will be fines for non-compliance.

I get the whole "national emergency" and "for the greater good." And I'm ok with it...now...for this...

I just don't want any of the powers that be, local, state or federal to get too comfy with infringing on my freedoms. 

And I don't think I'm the only one that feels this way...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

The context here is the pushback on either asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic spread. The second a WHO rep stated (not the WHO’s official view) that asymptomatic spread was rare that was immediately highlighted here, and in that context Seemed to be to counter the importance of measures being taken, including mask wearing. Of course the rep / WHO then promptly walked that statement back as misunderstood (and contrary to cdc findings). She was referring to the difference between pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic. 

The public push back on mask wearing is silly and exactly why you don’t vote on such measures - since when are public health measures a matter of voting??

I was tested for the antibodies and I got a notification that I tested negative for the antibodies.  I have not talked to the doctor yet but I heard that it could mean my positive test for the virus was wrong.  The thing is if my text was a false post then it really screwed me out of a job.  Also I have heard that there has been quite ba bit if text that has been a false positive.b I wonder if those test are changed and are represented in the stats.

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

The context here is the pushback on either asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic spread. The second a WHO rep stated (not the WHO’s official view) that asymptomatic spread was rare that was immediately highlighted here, and in that context Seemed to be to counter the importance of measures being taken, including mask wearing. Of course the rep / WHO then promptly walked that statement back as misunderstood (and contrary to cdc findings). She was referring to the difference between pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic. 

The public push back on mask wearing is silly and exactly why you don’t vote on such measures - since when are public health measures a matter of voting??

I think you take things out of context...

My post on the WHO was pointed more toward they aren't an organization that I would trust, and this "confusion" isn't the first thing they've goofed up. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I was tested for the antibodies and I got a notification that I tested negative for the antibodies.  I have not talked to the doctor yet but I heard that it could mean my positive test for the virus was wrong.  The thing is if my text was a false post then it really screwed me out of a job.  Also I have heard that there has been quite ba bit if text that has been a false positive.b I wonder if those test are changed and are represented in the stats.

Didn't you have shortness of breath and some other symptoms?

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't think I've seen anyone shunning the idea, but there is a sensitivity toward erosion of freedoms in play with some, me included. 

As I've said, I wear a mask...I social distance...and I limit my trips out...I'm not in love with the fact that it's been mandated, or that there will be fines for non-compliance.

I get the whole "national emergency" and "for the greater good." And I'm ok with it...now...for this...

I just don't want any of the powers that be, local, state or federal to get too comfy with infringing on my freedoms. 

And I don't think I'm the only one that feels this way...

But people who don't obey the the rules are infringing on the rights of people who wants to he safe.  I think it is selfish for people only to worry about themselves and not others when it comes to this.

Just think of this scenario about if you are a coach and don't wear a mask and you are talking to a ref.  That ref is not wearing a mask as well and if you have the virus and gives it to the ref.  That ref's wife is a nurse in a nursing home.  The ref takes the virus home to his wife who  in turns takes it into the nursing home.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think you take things out of context...

My post on the WHO was pointed more toward they aren't an organization that I would trust, and this "confusion" isn't the first thing they've goofed up. 

I wasn’t talking about you FLA, though you do like to argue with me and look for reason to contradict me lol.

On your post above though, that is very much a Texas view, reflective of Texans ingrained free republic / statehood view on any federal limitations. I get that. But you don’t have personal liberty to exercise when it comes to a pandemic. This isn’t a state or federal constitutional issue, we’re not talking the right to bear arms, you do not have a constitutional right being limited. Telling people to wear a mask has nothing to do with any constitutional right, you lose nothing. Not saying you don’t get that, but it seems a bunch of people don’t 

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yes but now my symptoms are worse now than when I tested positive.

You still are having symptoms?!  Dang Scott, that sucks. 

is it possible the antibodies test was wrong? What did they say about that? 

hope you are feeling better ASAP. 

6 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

You still are having symptoms?!  Dang Scott, that sucks. 

is it possible the antibodies test was wrong? What did they say about that? 

hope you are feeling better ASAP. 

Well I just got the results yesterday from my blood test and it came through my medical portal on my email.  I could not talk to the doctor yesterday since they were closed for the 4th.

The last few weeks has not been real good because I am having trouble breathing.  I have done a stress test on my heart and after going to the cardiologist he does not think anything is wrong with my heart.  I am supposed to get a CT scan on my lungs sometime so hopefully they can figure out what is wrong.  I am just worried if my first test was wrong that I might have the virus now.

22 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I wasn’t talking about you FLA, though you do like to argue with me and look for reason to contradict me lol.

On your post above though, that is very much a Texas view, reflective of Texans ingrained free republic / statehood view on any federal limitations. I get that. But you don’t have personal liberty to exercise when it comes to a pandemic. This isn’t a state or federal constitutional issue, we’re not talking the right to bear arms, you do not have a constitutional right being limited. Telling people to wear a mask has nothing to do with any constitutional right, you lose nothing. Not saying you don’t get that, but it seems a bunch of people don’t 

My problem is not with the rules...I live by society's laws every day...

My problem is how these rules are being implemented. We have a legislative branch that normally determines those rules, and an executive branch that signs them into law.

Bypassing the legislative process isn't the way I like our government to function.

I know you're going to say, "there wasn't enough time!" How long has this thing been going on?

At least with the legislative process, I can hold my state representatives accountable. Letting one person call the shots gets too close to what I consider dangerous...Be it Abbott or Whitmer...

And I don't look to argue with you. I do think you surmise things about people that just aren't true sometimes. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My problem is not with the rules...I live by society's laws every day...

My problem is how these rules are being implemented. We have a legislative branch that normally determines those rules, and an executive branch that signs them into law.

Bypassing the legislative process isn't the way I like our government to function.

I know you're going to say, "there wasn't enough time!" How long has this thing been going on?

At least with the legislative process, I can hold my state representatives accountable. Letting one person call the shots gets too close to what I consider dangerous...Be it Abbott or Whitmer...

And I don't look to argue with you. I do think you surmise things about people that just aren't true sometimes. 

I surmise you’re a pretty intelligent guy. 😁

We tend to have different beliefs on some topics. And that’s fine.

Absolutely agree about not letting any one person have too much power- but don’t want to go down the road that leads to politics here.

This is of course a national pandemic and health emergency. It’s not a matter of voting or state legislatures — or looking to elected officials who act according to their popular and party support, making independent decisions. Again, clearly, this is not in any way, shape, or form a constitutional issue. No one has a constitutional right not to wear a mask, no constitutional liberty is in any way implicated, there is simply no issue here of individual rights, and this absolutely should not be a political issue. 
It’s a national health emergency. 

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Hadn't heard much about Sweden lately.  This article indicates the jury is still out on whether their approach has been a success or a failure.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/07/03/what-sweden-can-teach-us-about-coronavirus-348462

The writer is correct that the community approach is viable in Sweden as almost no one will drive by a broke down car as the weather could kill! Community is part of their culture! 
But did the writer really need to finish with global warming? Kind of lost credibility with that in my mind!