Coronavirus

Reacher

13 hours ago, SteveS said:

Here is an interview with an ER doctor regarding HCQ. It’s about an hour long, but worth it.

TMR 246 : Dr. Simone Gold : On the Politicisation of HCQ

I think the reality is that HCQ and zinc is the cure but big pharma can’t make any money on that.

It is unlikely that university researchers are sufficiently biased that they’d be trying to stop HCQ use in order to support big pharma while accepting additional deaths. 

There are a number of research studies with mixed results (at best), and the latest study is not a full review of HCQ (as there are a number of confounding variables - even the conclusion of the study is just that it merits research). It’s a bit too much to say HCQ definitively does not work, but there’s little evidence today supporting that it is particularly effective. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

I'll balance that out with some hopeful news: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53248660 🙂

The full version of this study is fascinating. With lots of caveats (not peer-reviewed, lots of remaining open questions, etc.), it opens up very positive possibilities, including longer-lasting T cell protection. Plus: it found some that people who were exposed to COVID but never tested positive AND did not have antibodies still had T cell response (which, depending on effectiveness of T cell response on preventing or mitigating infection, may decrease the susceptible population to some degree beyond those who have neutralizing antibodies). 

26 minutes ago, jimsorgi said:

It is unlikely that university researchers are sufficiently biased that they’d be trying to stop HCQ use in order to support big pharma while accepting additional deaths. 

There are a number of research studies with mixed results (at best), and the latest study is not a full review of HCQ (as there are a number of confounding variables - even the conclusion of the study is just that it merits research). It’s a bit too much to say HCQ definitively does not work, but there’s little evidence today supporting that it is particularly effective. 

It really is sad that this is going to turn into a game of 'told you so' no matter what the final conclusion is on this drug. I just want something to work. 

3 minutes ago, jimsorgi said:

The full version of this study is fascinating. With lots of caveats (not peer-reviewed, lots of remaining open questions, etc.), it opens up very positive possibilities, including longer-lasting T cell protection. Plus: it found some that people who were exposed to COVID but never tested positive AND did not have antibodies still had T cell response (which, depending on effectiveness of T cell response on preventing or mitigating infection, may decrease the susceptible population to some degree beyond those who have neutralizing antibodies). 

Yeah, I just posted the summary, but this article has a little more info. https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-06-immunity-covid-higher-shown.html

1 hour ago, HoosierFaithful said:

AZ posts a record daily death total, a 33% positivity rate (!!), and a 1.8% mortality rate :(

One 'silver lining' in the death rate is that other states started high, but it started to go down after the most susceptible passed away.

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

One 'silver lining' in the death rate is that other states started high, but it started to go down after the most susceptible passed away.

Also, doctors understand more about how to treat it now than they did back in March. Don't know how much of a factor it is but definitely part of the equation. 

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If this lingers much longer, it could impact the quality of life of today's generation for the rest of their lives.  

• Missed opportunities
  • Socio-Economic hardships
  • Memories that should be there, but aren't

It sucks.

Fact.  It has already impacted many. Lives lost. etc.

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If this lingers much longer, it could impact the quality of life of today's generation for the rest of their lives.  

• Missed opportunities
  • Socio-Economic hardships
  • Memories that should be there, but aren't

It sucks.

That's the thing. How many lower level sports or academic scholarships are funded each year by what sports do? Thousands of kids may not have the chance to go to college in coming years. Probably tens of thousands. 

As a reminder, numbers on Tuesday are almost always the highest of the week, as counties/states that do not report over the weekend catch up on their reporting.  And, with this past weekend being a holiday, expect the daily number inflation to be even bigger than normal.  Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday numbers are usually the best barometer of where we stand.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the thing. How many lower level sports or academic scholarships are funded each year by what sports do? Thousands of kids may not have the chance to go to college in coming years. Probably tens of thousands. 

My kids are still in high school, but I'm concerned for them.  High school was the best time of my life.  Will they be able to have the same types of experiences?  What type of economy will we have 5 years from now?  Will college campuses ever get back to 'normal'?'   I don't want my kids to have an online education.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

The Atlanta mayor has tested positive for the virus.

And Texas has cancelled the State Fair.

Atlanta canceled ComicCon for the first time in 34 years! Told my boss and he asked if I was upset? I said yeah, I’ve been working all year on my costume, I was going as you! 
Best laugh we had all day!

I’m thinking we could all use some laughter these days!

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

News reporting tonight. July, 7. 10,000 plus new  Texas virus cases. And hospital's running out of beds.

The number of cases for today is partially due to underreporting over the holiday weekend.  Tomorrow will give us a more accurate picture.

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

Atlanta canceled ComicCon for the first time in 34 years! Told my boss and he asked if I was upset? I said yeah, I’ve been working all year on my costume, I was going as you! 
Best laugh we had all day!

I’m thinking we could all use some laughter these days!

I was riding in my dad's truck today, and he had a trowel he just bought on the dash.  The brand name..."Corona."  I mentioned it to him, and he didn't even notice that was the brand, he just needed one.

After a stop, he hit the gas, and the trowel fell, and I caught it...I caught the corona lol.  We had a good laugh about that.

The virus is obviously nothing to laugh about, but like you said, good to have some things to keep us laughing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I'm supposed to be planning a wedding - obviously, that's on hold.

Wow.  Big news.  Congrats to you. For getting married.  That's great. No matter how long it takes, Jon.  Danged pandemic.   Stay safe.  You and your fiancee.  I wish you both health and happiness. 

9 hours ago, jimsorgi said:

Did you listen to the podcast? Some of the studies done are criminal. 

6 hours ago, SteveS said:

Yes. She’s not very credible (and that’s an extremely generous opinion of her). 

There are some issues with some studies (including those that show benefits!). Which goes back to: People overstate when they definitively say it does not work, but there’s no evidence to date that it does work and no reason to think it will. We are far, far better off focusing on treatments that are showing clear benefit in initial trials. 

9 hours ago, SteveS said:

Would you say a study should be called in to doubt if:

It was not randomized and double-blind, meaning doctors can select who they gave the drugs to and knew which patients they were administering HCQ or a placebo to?

HCQ was treated with other medicine, which could impact the findings?

If it excludes patients who had not yet been discharged from the hospital? 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1