Coronavirus

Reacher

So TX has shattered new daily Covid cases, and hospitalizations,  and deaths, of course, meanwhile are increasing in several states. It’s so obviously predictable but ridiculously denied. Also this is now the first time since March 13 that the state has had less than 1000 icu beds available. We’ve now had multiple recent days in excess of 10,000 new cases and more than 100 deaths a day, and on the attempted bed capacity “discussion” there are now only a little over 11,000 beds available - as in just over the number of daily new cases - and on Thursday we had 9,689 patients hospitalized for lab confirmed Covid-19 in Texas.
TX reported record new daily high cases 4 freaking times this week alone, more than 10,900 on Thursday. TX Governor Abbot is now considering a potential lockdown. But hey of course there’s no emergency. We need to keep taking measures seriously to bring the damn virus back under control. This is so ridiculously obvious, regardless of people getting tired of dealing with it we can’t let the virus regain the momentum it had early on.

34 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe my numbers are wrong. 4 of 299 is what I saw. My Friday math might be off but that's 1.3% or so?  Or even 4 of 112 is a tad under 4%...and almost all will be fine. Open it up gang! The kids will be fine. 

My only question is who got it.  Not names, but it doesn't specify between coaches, staff, or athletes.  I'm assuming it was athletes who got it, but I didn't see anything that specified.

• Like 1

68% of people tested in single clinic in Queens had coronavirus antibodies, data suggests

From CNN's Jacqueline Howard

New coronavirus antibody testing data suggests there to be large disparities among neighborhoods hit hardest by the pandemic across New York City, separated by race and class — but more research is needed to confirm the extent of the differences.

Data from CityMD urgent care medical clinics show that more than 68% of people tested positive for antibodies at a clinic in the working-class neighborhood of Corona, Queens, and 56% tested positive at another clinic in Jackson Heights, Queens. 

Yet only 13% of people tested positive for antibodies at a clinic in Cobble Hill, a mostly white and wealthy neighborhood in Brooklyn.

The data were first reported in The New York Times on Thursday and a spokesperson for CityMD confirmed to CNN in an email on Friday that "it's accurate."

Even though the majority of people tested in those clinics had antibodies, that data do not reflect how many people in the neighborhoods themselves may have antibodies — because some patients in the clinics may not live in the neighborhoods where the clinics are located.

Overall, nationwide data has been clear that Black and Brown communities across the United States have experienced higher rates of hospitalization or death from Covid-19 than White communities. 

As of June 12, hospitalization rates among Black and American Indian or Alaska Native people were about five times that of White people, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Hispanic or Latino people have a rate about four times that of White people.

On 7/7/2020 at 3:04 PM, 5fouls said:

As a reminder, numbers on Tuesday are almost always the highest of the week, as counties/states that do not report over the weekend catch up on their reporting.  And, with this past weekend being a holiday, expect the daily number inflation to be even bigger than normal.  Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday numbers are usually the best barometer of where we stand.

Wednesday: 61,848

Thursday: 61,067

Friday: 71,305

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

These numbers are just mind-boggling. I remember back in April thinking 39K was outrageously high. 

Texas and Florida are combining for about 20,000 per day the last few days. About a month ago, we had days with fewer than 20,000 for the whole country. 

Truth be told, those 20,000 for the whole country days were likely the result of lack of testing.  The article I posted above that indicates 2 clinics in New York City showing over 60% with antibodies would indicate that, as high as teh numbers reported in New York were, the reality is they were likely quite a bit higher. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Wednesday: 61,848

Thursday: 61,067

Friday: 71,305

Being in Illinois, 1000 has been the magic number I've been watching.  Under 1000 deaths nationwide and 1000 cases in Illinois.  I take staying under those numbers as good signs.  Illinois went up almost 50% today from a week ago to over 1300, and unfortunately nationwide deaths starting going up this week and are creeping closer to 1000.

In Illinois, we got guidelines from the IHSA about opening sports last weekend, and they already changed the guidelines yesterday to make them more strict.  I'm getting more pessimistic about having high school sports this fall.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Truth be told, those 20,000 for the whole country days were likely the result of lack of testing.  The article I posted above that indicates 2 clinics in New York City showing over 60% with antibodies would indicate that, as high as teh numbers reported in New York were, the reality is they were likely quite a bit higher. 

Early on, a lot of cases were definitely missed, but a month ago there were about 450,000 tests per day with about a 4.5% positive rate.  Now we're at a little over 600,000 tests per day with a positive rate over 8%.  I would say for the last month or so, things haven't changed too much as far as test availability.

Early on numbers could have been massive as a lot of people were definitely missed.  I hope to see more articles like the one you posted about populations with antibodies from early cases that weren't tested.  The main issue I'm looking to have an answer to moving forward is what antibodies mean for this virus.  How long do they last, does the virus mutate fast enough that antibodies soon won't matter for people who were early cases?  If either of those turn out to be true, a vaccine could be a real struggle.  Fingers crossed antibodies will protect for quite a while.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Early on, a lot of cases were definitely missed, but a month ago there were about 450,000 tests per day with about a 4.5% positive rate.  Now we're at a little over 600,000 tests per day with a positive rate over 8%.  I would say for the last month or so, things haven't changed too much as far as test availability.

Early on numbers could have been massive as a lot of people were definitely missed.  I hope to see more articles like the one you posted about populations with antibodies from early cases that weren't tested.  The main issue I'm looking to have an answer to moving forward is what antibodies mean for this virus.  How long do they last, does the virus mutate fast enough that antibodies soon won't matter for people who were early cases?  If either of those turn out to be true, a vaccine could be a real struggle.  Fingers crossed antibodies will protect for quite a while.

We cant forget about Tcells either.  The research is still ongoing but even though antibodies are being produced Tcells are also part of the immune response.  And may act independently from antibodies.

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RoadToZion said:

I’m flying and taking a 10 day vacation out west in a couple weeks. People still need to live their lives. I can’t wait. If people are still scared about this whole thing then stay home. I for one will not be a slug and sit all day inside. 

Don't know how different it will be from when I flew out to Cali over Memorial, just practice common sense on viral safety. Even if there are the few who have no common sense!

1 hour ago, RoadToZion said:

I’m flying and taking a 10 day vacation out west in a couple weeks. People still need to live their lives. I can’t wait. If people are still scared about this whole thing then stay home. I for one will not be a slug and sit all day inside. 

My wife and I talk about how fortunate we were to have traveled to NYC last October, New Orleans in November and Phoenix in late February.  Good luck in your travels!  Stay safe.

7 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

My wife and I talk about how fortunate we were to have traveled to NYC last October, New Orleans in November and Phoenix in late February.  Good luck in your travels!  Stay safe.

Seems to be a pattern.  Are you a super spreader?😁 Just kidding.

• Haha 6

The mayor of our city issued an executive order yesterday where starting on Wednesday, July 15, all residents and anyone else in the city, will be required to wear a mask while out in public. However, how it will be enforced is another matter as he stated that police will not be required to relax on their main responsibilities.

Beware--OSU bias

This guy has some interesting stuff. Basically saying deaths and positive cases are being counted multiple times. Old data being counted with new data (as @5foulshas pointed out). Also, we are well past the 14 days when deaths were supposed to spike and they haven't rose to levels originally projected. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/kylamb8

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 2