Coronavirus

Reacher

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well if everyone had to stay home there would be no drivers on the road

Just the Drs, nurses, firemen and policemen. They going to live at work? Who will take care of their kids? How much food do you think is kept in the fridge at a police station? Even police cars, fire trucks and ambulances need gas. Not aware of that many electric ones. 

26 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Even police cars, fire trucks and ambulances need gas. Not aware of that many electric ones.

Even the Electric ones would be dead since there is no one keeping the grid up to charge them. Then everyone's fridge dies, food good for 36 hours... I'm not sure ppl thought that option through very well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

That's crazy Scott. What about air traffic controllers? Shut down the sky? That's just one example.

And how would people get food? I look in our pantry and freezer and I think we could hold out for 6 weeks, but we'd probably be down to all that crap my wife bought because it sounded cool (couscous anyone?).

Wouldn't work...

Just throwing it out there, but I think couscous is delicious. Want my address to ship it to me?

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Let me ask you this, would it have been better to inconvenient people for 6 weeks and possibly get things back to normal. Right now we are 4 months in and no end in sight.

Come on, Scott...think this through. Can you even imagine what the day before the total lockdown went in to effect would look like at grocery stores? It'd be mayhem...

I think we have to accept the fact that no matter what we do/did there are going to be many fatalities. Some of the actions we've already taken have no doubt lessened that number and some of the suggestions in previous pages in this thread would most likely have lessened it even more, but it's still going to be a hard number to swallow no matter what it ends up being.

• Like 3

Just heard that hospitals have been directed to bypass the CDC when  reporting coronavirus data.  They are now to send that data directly to Washington.  Don't have details of where within Washington the data is to go.  This being reported by NYT.

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Come on, Scott...think this through. Can you even imagine what the day before the total lockdown went in to effect would look like at grocery stores? It'd be mayhem...

I think we have to accept the fact that no matter what we do/did there are going to be many fatalities. Some of the actions we've already taken have no doubt lessened that number and some of the suggestions in previous pages in this thread would most likely have lessened it even more, but it's still going to be a hard number to swallow no matter what it ends up being.

It would take at least 10-12 months for my facility to get somewhere close to normal. 3,000,000 egg laying chickens at just the facility I work at. It has to go somewhere and an egg layer has a egg laying life cycle of 45 days. You have to replace 3,000,000 chickens starting with the egg. Would take about 90 days to get the first egg in a carton. Not to mention liquid retail and industrial product we produce. And the prices when they hit the shelf would be astronomical.

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

It would take at least 10-12 months for my facility to get somewhere close to normal. 3,000,000 egg laying chickens at just the facility I work at. It has to go somewhere and an egg layer has a egg laying life cycle of 45 days. You have to replace 3,000,000 chickens starting with the egg. Would take about 90 days to get the first egg in a carton. Not to mention liquid retain and industrial product. And the prices when they hit the shelf would be astronomical.

Wow...I didn't even consider that, but it just highlights the fact that a total lockdown would devastate us. And there are another 1,000 x reasons why.

We just have to soldier on...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

It would take at least 10-12 months for my facility to get somewhere close to normal. 3,000,000 egg laying chickens at just the facility I work at. It has to go somewhere and an egg layer has a egg laying life cycle of 45 days. You have to replace 3,000,000 chickens starting with the egg. Would take about 90 days to get the first egg in a carton. Not to mention liquid retail and industrial product we produce. And the prices when they hit the shelf would be astronomical.

Worked for several years in a hatchery for a big Midwestern company and remember the mind-boggling numbers flowing through on a weekly basis. My favorite work experience ever though was the night shift in a hatchery. I was the only person on night shift, traying eggs, checking temps, doing clean up afterwards, all powered by dragging my trusty boombox from room to room blasting Metallica.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Worked for several years in a hatchery for a big Midwestern company and remember the mind-boggling numbers flowing through on a weekly basis. My favorite work experience ever though was the night shift in a hatchery. I was the only person on night shift, traying eggs, checking temps, doing clean up afterwards, all powered by dragging my trusty boombox from room to room blasting Metallica.

Care to share what company?  I work for Rose Acre farms in a microbiology lab. Based out of Seymour. 

4 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Just heard that hospitals have been directed to bypass the CDC when  reporting coronavirus data.  They are now to send that data directly to Washington.  Don't have details of where within Washington the data is to go.  This being reported by NYT.

I guess hospitals are going to report data to a data base at HHS in Washington.

11 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Care to share what company?  I work for Rose Acre farms in a microbiology lab. Based out of Seymour. 

Perdue Farms, started in Patoka, then in Thorntown. They tried to switch me over to a manager in processing plant in Washington, but it just wasn't for me.

1 minute ago, Lostin76 said:

Perdue Farms, started in Patoka, then in Thorntown. They tried to switch me over to a manager in processing plant in Washington, but it just wasn't for me.

Know Perdue well. My stepdad worked there back in the 80's. A USDA relief inspector where I work talked me out of applying there a couple years ago. He requires a security detail to get in and out. It has gotten dicey over there. 

Side note, Perdue farms is what brought the Zellers to Washington, Indiana.  Steve Zeller move here with his family to run the Washington plant. 

10 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Know Perdue well. My stepdad worked there back in the 80's. A USDA relief inspector where I work talked me out of applying there a couple years ago. He requires a security detail to get in and out. It has gotten dicey over there. 

Side note, Perdue farms is what brought the Zellers to Washington, Indiana.  Steve Zeller move here with his family to run the Washington plant. 

I think you dodged a bullet in not applying there. I really loved the physicality of my first jobs in Patoka, cleaned up a LOT of turkey shit in those white boxes. Even liked running the hatchery in Thorntown and especially interacting with our local growers. But that processing plant was a big nope for me.

So you're like wet lab/bench work or on the farm at Rose Acre?

And I didn't know that about the Zellers, at least Perdue gave us something!

Edited by Lostin76
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I think you dodged a bullet in not applying there. I really loved the physicality of my first jobs in Patoka, cleaned up a LOT of turkey shit in those white boxes. Even liked running the hatchery in Thorntown and especially interacting with our local growers. But that processing plant was a big nope for me.

So you're like wet lab/bench work or on the farm at Rose Acre?

And I didn't know that about the Zellers, at least Perdue gave us something!

Yeah, I work in the lab. We do all the testing on liquid products. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

If people social distance and wear a mask you help prevent a potential spread.  I am traveling to TN in Aug and Nov and Gulf Shores in Sept.  Sure they are vacations, however, you can still maintain distance and be safe while on vacation. 

Yes you can. We spent a week in Destin and had no contact with anyone until last night and ate outside.at beach front restaurant 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

CDC chief says Northerners heading South for vacation may be to blame for surge in coronavirus cases, not state reopenings.

Link

• “We’re of the view that there was something else that was the driver. Maybe the Memorial Day, not weekend, but the Memorial Day week, where a lot of Northerners decided to go South for vacations,” Redfield said.
  • He did not provide data to back up his theory that Northerners travelling South are to blame for the surge in cases.
  • Redfield’s comments appear to contradict remarks by White House health advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci.

I'm not buying that theory. Sure there *could have been* some spread that way. But I would think the policies (or lack of) in many Southern states were what led to the spike. That and everyone deciding it was time to go back to bars.

19 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

If people social distance and wear a mask you help prevent a potential spread.  I am traveling to TN in Aug and Nov and Gulf Shores in Sept.  Sure they are vacations, however, you can still maintain distance and be safe while on vacation. 

Definitely, we have been to MD already this summer and are going back next week. We behave the same way there that we do here. Masks in public and keep distance from others. We are already germaphobes so hand hygiene is a given. 

• Like 2