Coronavirus

Reacher

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

State wide mask mandate in Colorado by our Governor went into effect a few days back.  Yesterday.... he mandated ALL bars to be closed at 10 p.m.

Stay safe td !

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I wear a mask every time I go out to stores or errands,etc....but here's my question and still can't find the answer. I'm an avid Monon Trail user. Especially during these times. Because I can practice social distancing on the trail....assuming we don't need masks there? This is mainly for the folks who go to indoor bars/restaurants which of course says no mask required if eating or drinking. Just trying to determine what the rules are.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I wear a mask every time I go out to stores or errands,etc....but here's my question and still can't find the answer. I'm an avid Monon Trail user. Especially during these times. Because I can practice social distancing on the trail....assuming we don't need masks there? This is mainly for the folks who go to indoor bars/restaurants which of course says no mask required if eating or drinking. Just trying to determine what the rules are.

Per the article:

“in public places where it's not possible to maintain six feet of social distancing.”

You should be fine on a trail.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Reacher said:

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Difficult to assess, but my first 3 guesses are suicides, drug overdoses, and murders...

Interesting question. I can’t find any stats for deaths of despair....just theories that they could spike. Most of these articles from March and April. While I don’t doubt they are up, perhaps the federal assistance helped subside this. That $600 was big; a lot of people were making more in unemployment than the job they were laid off from.

Interestingly enough, I’ve theorized in previous pages that auto accidents were way down during the lockdown, but I was completely wrong. In March, April and May they were actually up. In May they were up 23%. Isn’t that crazy? I guess open roads allow you to speed, which make auto accidents that much more fatal. My mother in law who was an ER nurse said that they always received the most patients from auto accidents on clear sunny days. I guess people just get a little too comfortable behind the wheel in safer conditions. 

Do you guys think there’s any possibility that deaths have been under-counted? I’m not saying it accounts for all the excessive deaths. But many of the unaccounted excess deaths spiked in NYC in April. (Per that JAMA study Reacher posted) There was definitely a shortage in testing back then. 

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

Interestingly enough, I’ve theorized in previous pages that auto accidents were way down during the lockdown, but I was completely wrong. In March, April and May they were actually up. In May they were up 23%. Isn’t that crazy?

It is...wonder how many of the accidents were alcohol related? Maybe there's a spike there as well...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Difficult to assess, but my first 3 guesses are suicides, drug overdoses, and murders...

I think you are missing deaths from those who were afraid to go to Drs and hospitals during the spike. I saw somewhere that a large # of chemotherapy appointments were canceled. Not going in for treatments, and even preventative care, will surely lead to many more deaths. Stage I cancers will turn into stage II and III, etc. I think the effect will be felt for years. 

Murders are way up, but not enough to count for 10s of thousands.

In other news- https://news.yahoo.com/covid-19-rages-yelp-reports-173407087.html. Apparently 2400 businesses permanently closed in Chicago. Chicago is fast on its way to being Detroit.

And that leads into the exodus from large cities. Lots of talk about the flight to suburbia. With the danger, lack of entertainment / restaurants,  and more work from home people are less likely to want a small home house/ apartment in the city. Commuting no longer as big of a factor so why not have more room for the kids- and room for a home office.

Nashville TN has announced property tax increases of 32%. Other big cities will no doubt be raising theirs to cover lack of revenues (no sports, concerts, plays, diminished dining  taxes and even parking fees). No more taxes from 1000s of closed businesses. Add damage from rioters and its no wonder that reurbanization is reversing. 

15 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I think you are missing deaths from those who were afraid to go to Drs and hospitals during the spike. I saw somewhere that a large # of chemotherapy appointments were canceled. Not going in for treatments, and even preventative care, will surely lead to many more deaths. Stage I cancers will turn into stage II and III, etc. I think the effect will be felt for years. 

Murders are way up, but not enough to count for 10s of thousands.

That too, but I was thinking most of what you're talking about would be down the road a ways...I was thinking more immediate numbers...

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The death by auto accidents surprises me as well.  I thought for sure those would be way down.  

Have you not seen people's driving skills?   There is a lot of stupid behind the wheel out there.

20 minutes ago, Reacher said:

6_Cases per Million (1)

The Fouls family vacationed in Northern Michigan, as well as the Upper Peninsula, last week.  I will say this.  I felt much more comfortable being out in public there than I do here in Southern Indiana.  The numbers seem to bear that out when comparing the two states.

Part of my comfort was that everyone was in masks.  Mandatory mask wearing was already in place there and is not in place in Indiana until next Monday.  The other thing was that people just seemed to better understand the concept of social distancing.  We visited several tourist spots as well as restaurants, shops, etc. and, as simple as it sounds, people gave you space.  Down here, people will still crawl up your back when waiting in line.  I don't get it.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It cant happen.  Food, power, water.  Lose one of those 3 for any significant amount of time and checkmate.  Society is polite to a point. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Talk of complete shutdown is just sensationalism and baseless fear. No state let alone country us shutting down — and PLEASE don’t spur on the moronic toilet paper hoarders back into action!

Might not be feasible but it would be the best solution to stop the virus.

16 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The Fouls family vacationed in Northern Michigan, as well as the Upper Peninsula, last week.  I will say this.  I felt much more comfortable being out in public there than I do here in Southern Indiana.  The numbers seem to bear that out when comparing the two states.

Part of my comfort was that everyone was in masks.  Mandatory mask wearing was already in place there and is not in place in Indiana until next Monday.  The other thing was that people just seemed to better understand the concept of social distancing.  We visited several tourist spots as well as restaurants, shops, etc. and, as simple as it sounds, people gave you space.  Down here, people will still crawl up your back when waiting in line.  I don't get it.   

Nice country up there. Hope you hit Sleeping Bear Dunes, Mackinac Island and Taquemenon Falls

• Like 1