Coronavirus

Reacher

Obesity and Covid 19

Also read in a study done exploring using cholesterol medication the fight covid, the virus recruits fat into the respiratory cells in order to replicate.

Bangladesh obesity rates:

Of  the  17%  of  overweight  or  obese  adults  in Bangladesh,  just  4%  were  obese,  and  obesity  rates in Bangladesh  are increasing  at  a slower  pace.  From  1980  to  2013  obesity  rates  in adults  grew  from  2%  to 4%,  and rates  in children  and  adolescents  remained  at  about  1.5%

US obesity rate:

The CDC provided a data update in May 2017 stating that for adults 20 years and older, the crude obesity rate was 39.8% and the age adjusted rate was measured to be 39.7%. Including the obese, 71.6% of all American adults age 20 and above were overweight.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I would surmise you are correct on the obesity comparison between the two countries.  And, that's what is so frustrating to me. There has not been significant discussion on things like that.  They may be occurring behind closed doors in the scientific community, but they are not getting the media attention that masks and social distancing are.  I agree that masks and social distancing can make a difference in the spread of the virus.    But, the virus train still has a pretty good head of steam even with better controls in place on those fronts.  we have to start looking for other factors and seeing what information we can gather from them as well.  

We are constantly going back and forth on stuff like that. We desperately want to know what factors are contributing and so far obesity seems to be a really strong one. The strongest here in NYC in our studies at least.

Also, I wish I had good things to report on our HCQ as prophylaxis study, but we are having an issue with low recruitment. The cases have dropped that drastically here! Which is good, but we worry about not having enough power for a convincing result. It's also not my faculty, but faculty from another division. I just have some Research Assistants on it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Mine too...IMO "All Things Must Pass" is the best post Beatles album any of the 4 put out... 

Agreed. I had to recently replace my "All Things Must Pass" album. Wore the damn thing out over the years. I still remember my parents listening to it all the time.

Student in Greenfield, Indiana went to school while awaiting results of a Covid test.  Turns out the student was positive.

If the parents had reason to get this child tested, why on earth did they not keep him/her home until they received the results?

Makes me want to bang my head on the wall.  

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/greenfield-central-schools-begin-in-person-classes-anticipating-eventual-coronavirus-case/531-e1b7e9f2-f36d-468d-9ab2-2139a1b1e4f6

Edited by 5fouls

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Obesity and Covid 19

Also read in a study done exploring using cholesterol medication the fight covid, the virus recruits fat into the respiratory cells in order to replicate.

Bangladesh obesity rates:

Of  the  17%  of  overweight  or  obese  adults  in Bangladesh,  just  4%  were  obese,  and  obesity  rates in Bangladesh  are increasing  at  a slower  pace.  From  1980  to  2013  obesity  rates  in adults  grew  from  2%  to 4%,  and rates  in children  and  adolescents  remained  at  about  1.5%

US obesity rate:

The CDC provided a data update in May 2017 stating that for adults 20 years and older, the crude obesity rate was 39.8% and the age adjusted rate was measured to be 39.7%. Including the obese, 71.6% of all American adults age 20 and above were overweight.

Yep, that's a pretty big difference in obesity rates.

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Bangladesh:

• 57,321 square miles
  • 164,820,000 population
  • 3,111 Covid Deaths

Illinois:

• 57,913 square miles
  • 12,659,000 population
  • 7,670 Covid Deaths

That's not a good look for those who insist social distancing is the answer. Don't get me wrong.  I think social distancing is important.  but, I also thing there are other factors that are not even being considered because everyone is so caught up with the narrative we keep hearing from the media.  

There are other things in play here, and people are dying because we are choosing to ignore them. 

None of those stats have anything to do with social distancing.  You might as well say 2 + 2 = Green. 

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

None of those stats have anything to do with social distancing.  You might as well say 2 + 2 = Green. 

Nice deflection.  But, putting 164 million people into the space the size of Illinois absolutely has an impact on social distancing.  Hell, we heard all about how critical population density was early in the Corona crisis, because of how hard New Jersey, with the highest population density in the country, got hit.  Even now, the top 5 deaths per 1 million people in the U.S. are New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island.  All but New York are also in the top 4 in population density, and New York is 7th.

Taking it a step further, why have metropolitan areas been hit harder than rural ones?  Why have meat packing plants been hit harder than timber companies?  Why did schools close?  Why are sports stadiums empty while games go on?  Why do restaurants have limited capacity?  The answer to all of those is because the more people in close proximity of each other, the more likely it is that the virus spreads.  And, the government has taken measures to try and limit those gatherings.  Yet, Bangladesh, due to it's number of people in a small area, very likely cannot 'social distance' as well as the United States, but has better Covid results.   

Social distancing by itself is not going to solve this crisis.  I've tossed out several alternative causes (environment, diet, genetics, etc.) that could also be factors, and other posters have provided information that actually supports some of that.  Yet, your argument seems to be that Bangladesh has simply done a better job at social distancing, which none of us really know whether they have or not.   

List of countries with highest population densities.  Bangladesh is almost twice as densely populated as any other country on the planet.  

Density of the most populous countries[change | change source]

This list consists of the top 100 most populous countries (see also List of countries and dependencies by population).

Pos. Country (or dependent territory) Area (km2) Area (mi2) Population Density
(pop./km2)
Density
(pop./mi2)
Date Population source
1 23px-Flag_of_Bangladesh.svg.png Bangladesh 143,998 55,598 169,030,162 1,174 3,040 July 28, 2020 Official population clock
2 23px-Flag_of_the_Republic_of_China.svg.p Taiwan 36,197 13,976 23,596,266 652 1,689 October 31, 2019 Monthly official estimate
2 23px-Flag_of_South_Korea.svg.png South Korea 100,210 38,691 51,811,167 517 1,339 July 1, 2019 Official Annual projection
3 23px-Flag_of_Rwanda.svg.png Rwanda 26,338 10,169 12,374,397 470 1,217 July 1, 2019 Official projection
4 23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png Netherlands 41,526 16,033 17,415,008 419 1,086 July 28, 2020 Official population clock
5 23px-Flag_of_Haiti.svg.png Haiti 27,065 10,450 11,263,077 416 1,077 July 1, 2019 UN projection
6 21px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png Israel 22,072 8,522 9,229,375 418 1,083 July 28, 2020 Official population clock
7 23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India 3,287,240 1,269,211 1,365,455,850 415 1,076 July 28, 2020 Population clock
8 23px-Flag_of_Burundi.svg.png Burundi 27,816 10,740 10,953,317 394 1,020 July 1, 2019 Official annual projection
9 23px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png Belgium 30,528 11,787 11,505,732 377 976 October 1, 2019 Official monthly estimate
10 23px-Flag_of_the_Philippines.svg.png Philippines 300,000 115,831 109,768,280 366 948 July 28, 2020 Official population clock

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

It’s official. I have a bro crush on Lost. 

Ha, George is the man. All Things Must Pass alone is just insane. And then his later stuff joining the Traveling Wilburys.

I like John, but there's Yoko. And Paul had Wings and Linda was cool, but so poppy. And let's not talk about Ringo much. 😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Ha, George is the man. All Things Must Pass alone is just insane. And then his later stuff joining the Traveling Wilburys.

I like John, but there's Yoko. And Paul had Wings and Linda was cool, but so poppy. And let's not talk about Ringo much. 😂

My favorite Beatles song has always been ‘Something.’

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Traveling WIlburys had several great songs as well...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Ok. Well then we don’t know if Bangladesh has a higher or lower death rate 

Lower.  Same as USA. 

Clearly you didnt read the study I posted.  

All you want to do is be argumentative and think you are right about everything.  

On 7/31/2020 at 12:29 PM, Lostin76 said:

We are constantly going back and forth on stuff like that. We desperately want to know what factors are contributing and so far obesity seems to be a really strong one. The strongest here in NYC in our studies at least.

Also, I wish I had good things to report on our HCQ as prophylaxis study, but we are having an issue with low recruitment. The cases have dropped that drastically here! Which is good, but we worry about not having enough power for a convincing result. It's also not my faculty, but faculty from another division. I just have some Research Assistants on it.

https://c19study.com/

Is there anything to these 55 studies that support the use of HCQ? It seems there is a lot of evidence to support it and the studies against it use high dosages, or treat late, or have been redacted. 

As a non medical person, it seems like HCQ deserves more attention and efforts to ban it, states prohibiting pharmacists from prescribing it, media talking it down and tech pulling it down just makes it seem more obvious there is agenda behind it. 

Unnecessary fear-inspiring headline

20,000 more Americans could die from Covid-19 in the next 21 days, CDC ensemble forecast shows

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/02/health/us-coronavirus-sunday/index.html

Considering the average daily deaths over the last 7 days has been over 1,100, I wonder if the reporter realizes that the numbers in her headline would actually be an improvement.

It's bad, I get it.  But, I really wish the media would inform us and stop trying to scare us.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, 5fouls said:

With masks becoming a requirement in most states and in many major retailers, any guesses on how long before we start seeing any significant improvement in the numbers?  

I went to a watering hole yesterday on Indy's Northside to see some people I haven't seen since March shutdown. I was a little nervous but decided to give it a go. Masked up, sanitizer in pocket, sat outside with distance, etc....and still to my amazement people felt like it was some sort of chore just to put a mask on each time they went inside to get a beer or use restroom. 

What was more amazing is 7 of these people all said they know they had it in March/April but never got tested. Said symptoms went away after a few days so they all thought no big deal. The reason I bring this up is I think the numbers are actually really, really good. So many of those people walking around who never confirmed they had it but recovered....which means these death numbers (or net positive) are actually better. Just my two cents.

• Like 4

On 7/31/2020 at 5:54 PM, Lostin76 said:

Joining the bro crush.

True story. One day in high school I’m just standing there in class and this girl who likes to rib me says, there was this guy on Saturday Night Live last night, he was weird, reminded me of you cause you’re so weird. I said oh yeah, who? She says George Harrison. I broke into a huge smile and said Hell Yeah!

He was always my favorite Beatle. Lennon second. I remember where I was the days I heard both had died, Lennon shot and George from cancer. Miss those guys. 

• Like 2