Coronavirus

Reacher

On 7/31/2020 at 12:57 PM, Leathernecks said:

As a science person, that has me so annoyed. There are great scientists doing great research, and then there are others that ruin everything.

I was trying to research HCQ yesterday and I read a few papers about how it is almost impossible to know what is going on because of the political lines in the sand and the scientists who have done poor research.

Like the video from a couple days ago. I watched a little, and there might have been some good info, but when the first person starts talking about a spiderweb of lies, it all goes down the drain. That is a dead giveaway that they have an agenda of some sort. Reputable scientists and doctors don't talk like that. If there is good evidence behind the drug working, stick to that. Otherwise it does nothing but divide. 

We need to hear a lot more about research and facts, but it has been so bad that after an hours worth of research yesterday I feel like I'm more confused than I was before.

I’m not sure how many true “scientists” we have out there anymore. I’ve seen a lot of politically driven science in the past 20 years (and probably earlier) where they choose to ignore facts and the science when it doesn’t follow the narrative or the desired outcome. It didnt just start with Covid...seen it with so many things for years but I don’t want to derail a thread. To me it’s so unethical when people let their ideology or hypothesis drive the study or outcome instead of letting the evidence decide it. Science is threatening to become just like “journalism” in this country because it’s being hijacked...and that is a dangerous thing. We’ve gone now to the media being universally untrustworthy and unfavorable rating near govt numbers and if science goes this route nobody knows what and who they can trust and it will further divide and tribalize the country. It will get to the point of chaos because when you have no point of moral clarity or truth then no one can and will work together towards a common good. Starting to see it now and I don’t think it will end there.

I think if the scientist would just be objective and come out open and honest with what they didn’t know at the start and what they did we would much better off...and when something comes out that contradicts then just say we learned we were wrong...but no one wants to be wrong and think they have deaths on their hands...if we weren’t so quick to blame and just realize we are all in this together as a country and be willing to learn and be understanding that mistakes would be made along the way we would be in a better place. All this taking sides does it put us further from real truth and healing. It’s in everyone’s best interest to beat this virus and together it will happen much faster...sad we don’t live in a country like that.

• Like 3

Here is a question and I’m sure it’s been covered in a almost thr 200 pages but why are we not wanting to send our kids (especially say 12 and under back to school?) All the science and evidence I’ve seen universally say such children are at such a minuscule risk or getting or even more importantly spreading the virus. The risk of not having these kids in school where so many get their nutritional health, mental health, and even where most cases of abuse are seen seems to way out weigh the risks. 
I get some may need to be kept home for medical reasons or parents decision and some teachers may need to opt out as well but it seems children will suffer more not going to school than the few and rare cases that we’ve seem from this virus could harm. 
You can’t tell me in a country where we spend more per capita then anywhere in the world we can’t put in safe guards for teachers even when they will be exposed to the most low risk threats there are. I go to work everyday (with precautions) because I’m considered essential by my employer. Are teachers not essential? Haven’t they not told us for years they are? I’m sure there are tons of people displaced from their current jobs that would be happy to teach for a year to feed their family and save their homes if some teachers need to opt out. I know we have a lot of teachers on this board (as I have several in my immediate family) so I’m wondering if this is a union thing...political thing...what is it? When the rest of us are out there taking the same risks are they just...well guess what makes them exempt from what all the rest of us are going through...and if the school doesn’t open do I get my tax money back...(I know the answer to that) If it’s political motivation I think we can just say political and save the arguement and keep this in forum rules but if isn’t I’d like to know the reasons. Thanks!!

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Here is a question and I’m sure it’s been covered in a almost thr 200 pages but why are we not wanting to send our kids (especially say 12 and under back to school?) All the science and evidence I’ve seen universally say such children are at such a minuscule risk or getting or even more importantly spreading the virus. The risk of not having these kids in school where so many get their nutritional health, mental health, and even where most cases of abuse are seen seems to way out weigh the risks. 
I get some may need to be kept home for medical reasons or parents decision and some teachers may need to opt out as well but it seems children will suffer more not going to school than the few and rare cases that we’ve seem from this virus could harm. 
You can’t tell me in a country where we spend more per capita then anywhere in the world we can’t put in safe guards for teachers even when they will be exposed to the most low risk threats there are. I go to work everyday (with precautions) because I’m considered essential by my employer. Are teachers not essential? Haven’t they not told us for years they are? I’m sure there are tons of people displaced from their current jobs that would be happy to teach for a year to feed their family and save their homes if some teachers need to opt out. I know we have a lot of teachers on this board (as I have several in my immediate family) so I’m wondering if this is a union thing...political thing...what is it? When the rest of us are out there taking the same risks are they just...well guess what makes them exempt from what all the rest of us are going through...and if the school doesn’t open do I get my tax money back...(I know the answer to that) If it’s political motivation I think we can just say political and save the arguement and keep this in forum rules but if isn’t I’d like to know the reasons. Thanks!!

Doesn't directly answer your question, but it's mind-boggling to me how out of touch some parents are when they make the decision to have their kid do virtual learning.  There have literally been parents on the social media sites for the local schools asking questions like "Can my kid still participate in sports if they do virtual learning?'.  Are they serious?  If they feel their child is at risk in the classroom, do they not understand that most sports are even riskier?

I think a lot of parents are choosing virtual learning because they think it will be 'easier' for Billy or Sally to make good grades.  The last 2 months of school last year were a total joke.  My kids learned nothing and had to put forth very little effort.  My cousin, who is a teacher in another district, indicated that they were pressured to give kids passing grades the 4th quarter last year, even if they did no work.  I have to think that this years' virtual learning will be quite different, and Billy, Sally, and Mom will be in for a rude awakening.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

It is really sad to teacher's unions saying defunding the police is a prerequisite for returning. That has nothing to do with the kids or school. Union sure not looking out for the kids, IMO. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Reacher said:

It is really sad to teacher's unions saying defunding the police is a prerequisite for returning. That has nothing to do with the kids or school. Union sure not looking out for the kids, IMO. 

Absolutely ridiculous.  If they don't want to go to work because of ignorant, non virus related reasons like this, then they can sit at home with no pay and I will demand a property tax refund.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Absolutely ridiculous.  If they don't want to go to work because of ignorant, non virus related reasons like this, then they can sit at home with no pay and I will demand a property tax refund.

You know you will never get that money back...and we all know our taxes are going to sky rocket to offset business taxes because we closed them all. Again I just wondering if I’m the only one that is at a loss because of all this because even the local news is pressuring to keep schools closed by only stating the teachers union side and not all the other issues that these children face. I am all for paying to keep the teachers safe with proper masks/plastic shields for their desks and extra cleaning and maybe uv light sterilization or things of that sort but this we are sentencing people to death thing and defunding police etc stuff is just a non-starter. I want people to be as safe as we can make them but to just shut down altogether is not good for anyone...especially the kids...most importantly the underprivileged ones will get affected the most without access to care and proper learning at home.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You know you will never get that money back...and we all know our taxes are going to sky rocket to offset business taxes because we closed them all. Again I just wondering if I’m the only one that is at a loss because of all this because even the local news is pressuring to keep schools closed by only stating the teachers union side and not all the other issues that these children face. I am all for paying to keep the teachers safe with proper masks/plastic shields for their desks and extra cleaning and maybe uv light sterilization or things of that sort but this we are sentencing people to death thing and defunding police etc stuff is just a non-starter. I want people to be as safe as we can make them but to just shut down altogether is not good for anyone...especially the kids...most importantly the underprivileged ones will get affected the most without access to care and proper learning at home.

I know.  I was just being flippant.  I just find it very disrespectful they would make a non workplace related demand like, especially one that unrealistic.  Not only will the kids suffer but what will the parents who both work jobs to get by do?  How many parents are even capable or willing to help their kids learn?

And if they would happen to successfully defund the police guess what one of the first things to disappear will be, the school resource officers.

Of the few teachers I know, they want to go back to school, and see paid leave offered to older teachers who don't feel safe.   Looks like a good idea to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

I'm a high school teacher, and I admit I'm nervous about starting. Seems like that age has a lot higher transmission rate than younger grades, and quite a few teachers are older as well as my family I'm close with.

The science teacher in me would love to say let's open up schools and make things a large science experiment. Then we would really be able to see what is going on.

At least as far as my district goes, one of my biggest concerns is I don't know what we'll do for subs. If we're in close contact with someone for more than 15 minutes, we have to be off 2 weeks. Our main subs are retired teachers, and they aren't going to sub this year.

Another concern of mine is what is going to happen when a kid gives it to a parent and the parent dies. Might not happen in my district, but it will happen somewhere. That would just be devastating. Obviously on the flip side of that, what kind of things are kids going through at home while they're not at school? I worry about that constantly. I've seen kids in the past during the summer, and they have a countdown to school starting because they don't want to be at home. I fear some of the things kids could be going through.

I really wish more time and money would have been spent on online learning. Instead of everybody just debating back and forth on if we should go back or not, we should have been putting resources into making online learning better. We've known for a while that it is almost inevitable that it will be used at some point, even if it is just for some kids.

This spring it was a joke. Most states said we couldn't hurt kids grades, so they could do nothing and pass. I had kids who didn't turn in a single assignment. I get the idea behind it because grades would have been hurting under privileged kids the most, but it did not go well. There really should have been things going on this summer to try to improve it, but most people were just hoping and arguing.

I'm sure I missed some points in there, so feel free to ask more questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Leathernecks

How do you think some of those small schools up there will do budget wise.  Especially if they have to buy more ppe, and cleaning supplies?

My wife is from central illinois.  She went to Armstrong-Potomac. When she was there they didnt have central air and couldn't even afford window units. I doubt they could handle much of a budget crisis. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm a high school teacher, and I admit I'm nervous about starting. Seems like that age has a lot higher transmission rate than younger grades, and quite a few teachers are older as well as my family I'm close with.

The science teacher in me would love to say let's open up schools and make things a large science experiment. Then we would really be able to see what is going on.

At least as far as my district goes, one of my biggest concerns is I don't know what we'll do for subs. If we're in close contact with someone for more than 15 minutes, we have to be off 2 weeks. Our main subs are retired teachers, and they aren't going to sub this year.

Another concern of mine is what is going to happen when a kid gives it to a parent and the parent dies. Might not happen in my district, but it will happen somewhere. That would just be devastating. Obviously on the flip side of that, what kind of things are kids going through at home while they're not at school? I worry about that constantly. I've seen kids in the past during the summer, and they have a countdown to school starting because they don't want to be at home. I fear some of the things kids could be going through.

I really wish more time and money would have been spent on online learning. Instead of everybody just debating back and forth on if we should go back or not, we should have been putting resources into making online learning better. We've known for a while that it is almost inevitable that it will be used at some point, even if it is just for some kids.

This spring it was a joke. Most states said we couldn't hurt kids grades, so they could do nothing and pass. I had kids who didn't turn in a single assignment. I get the idea behind it because grades would have been hurting under privileged kids the most, but it did not go well. There really should have been things going on this summer to try to improve it, but most people were just hoping and arguing.

I'm sure I missed some points in there, so feel free to ask more questions.

Completely understand your concerns. Some similar to family members but they too want to get back to work in the class room. They just can’t effectively teach online they tell me. I would think for the older kids they would have to try to utilize some type of pod system where you break down the kids into smaller groups to help separate them and to possibly be easier to quarantine them. Obviously masks and more care would be needed with the older kids...and to me theoretically they should be easier to implement the e-learning etc then younger kids but I guess I don’t like that we’re are working against getting them open instead of spending time trying to figure out solutions to get them open safely. I think the younger kids it should be a no brained but agree older teenagers can have more trouble. I’ve had my daughter in summer school (daycare age) all summer and no one working there or child has had a report of illness with probably 70 kids there and I don’t know 20 staff? Thanks for your response a lot to consider.

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

@Leathernecks

How do you think some of those small schools up there will do budget wise.  Especially if they have to buy more ppe, and cleaning supplies?

My wife is from central illinois.  She went to Armstrong-Potomac. When she was there they didnt have central air and couldn't even afford window units. I doubt they could handle much of a budget crisis. 

I agree there will be budget concerns..govt definitely needs to step in if they want to get them open to make them safe and get their supplies.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I agree there will be budget concerns..govt definitely needs to step in if they want to get them open to make them safe and get their supplies.

Another thing about cleaning supplies is on the supply side. There would be a huge surge in demand.  Had to go to the Wal Mart the other day. No paper products at all and cleaning supplies section picked clean. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Another thing about cleaning supplies is on the supply side. There would be a huge surge in demand.  Had to go to the Wal Mart the other day. No paper products at all and cleaning supplies section picked clean. 

Yeah kind of what I’m saying...instead of resisting so much these are things they should be working with state and federal govt to make sure is in place so when they return it will be safe...instead of spending all the time fighting to stop it we should be doing everything we can to work together to make it happen.

• Like 2

Explain this. 

Dr Fauci says this Univ of MN study shows HCQ didn't work. 

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2016638

Notice the first Dr mentioned received a research grant from Gilead. 

https://www.eventscribe.com/2019/IDWeek/fsPopup.asp?Mode=presenterInfo&PresenterID=688680

Then another Dr debunks the conclusion and says the study actually showed  HCQ works. 

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2007.09477.pdf

The key is using it early - 0-2 days after exposure. Many studies are done with hospital patients who already are rather far along in the disease and thus destined to struggle. 

I'm now thoroughly convinced the pharmaceutical industry that is getting billions for research and vaccines, and spending a ton on lobbyists, is actively trying to shut down the use of HCQ. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Yeah kind of what I’m saying...instead of resisting so much these are things they should be working with state and federal govt to make sure is in place so when they return it will be safe...instead of spending all the time fighting to stop it we should be doing everything we can to work together to make it happen.

Schools were set to get $100 billion + in the Covid bill congress is debating. Granted they could have used it earlier, but there will be $. 

HS kids are still at a very low risk. More likely to die from the flu than Covid. Hopefully, flu will be down this year due to masks, handwashing, distancing, etc. Did teachers complain about getting the flu from students? I'm sure teachers have died from diseases picked up from students. This is not new. 

I like the idea of HS kids going 2 days one week and 3 the next with elearning on the off days. Reduces capacity by 50%. Older, at risk, teachers can be in charge of the e learning. Of course, certain localaties may need to suspend school for a week or two or adjust for their particular circumstances. I like the idea of starting a couple weeks early so there is flexibility to take a week or two off later. 

Kids Jr High and younger should be in school full time. Especially in the schools with more economically challenged kids. 

Just my opinions after talking with a number of teachers. I also heard e learning this last spring was a joke. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Schools were set to get $100 billion + in the Covid bill congress is debating. Granted they could have used it earlier, but there will be $. 

HS kids are still at a very low risk. More likely to die from the flu than Covid. Hopefully, flu will be down this year due to masks, handwashing, distancing, etc. Did teachers complain about getting the flu from students? I'm sure teachers have died from diseases picked up from students. This is not new. 

I like the idea of HS kids going 2 days one week and 3 the next with elearning on the off days. Reduces capacity by 50%. Older, at risk, teachers can be in charge of the e learning. Of course, certain localaties may need to suspend school for a week or two or adjust for their particular circumstances. I like the idea of starting a couple weeks early so there is flexibility to take a week or two off later. 

Kids Jr High and younger should be in school full time. Especially in the schools with more economically challenged kids. 

Just my opinions after talking with a number of teachers. I also heard e learning this last spring was a joke. 

Very good points. Maybe it is just here in Florida but there is such a push back and just one side being covered in the local media (other than radio) just wondering if I’m in the majority or minority because I don’t talk to as many people as I used to lately.

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

@Leathernecks

I had forgot she was from there!  I remember talking about that now.  We're in a similar boat.  No air conditioning at all.  We're going to try going until 12:30 and do 2 hours online in the afternoon until sometime in October since it will be so hot in the school.

Luckily I think most schools will be alright.  As far as the money that comes in and out of a school, a few thousand extra for ppe and cleaning supplies won't break the bank.  Things will likely be tighter, but I think most places will be alright.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Completely understand your concerns. Some similar to family members but they too want to get back to work in the class room. They just can’t effectively teach online they tell me. I would think for the older kids they would have to try to utilize some type of pod system where you break down the kids into smaller groups to help separate them and to possibly be easier to quarantine them. Obviously masks and more care would be needed with the older kids...and to me theoretically they should be easier to implement the e-learning etc then younger kids but I guess I don’t like that we’re are working against getting them open instead of spending time trying to figure out solutions to get them open safely. I think the younger kids it should be a no brained but agree older teenagers can have more trouble. I’ve had my daughter in summer school (daycare age) all summer and no one working there or child has had a report of illness with probably 70 kids there and I don’t know 20 staff? Thanks for your response a lot to consider.

Online was horrible.  Especially for chemistry.  Luckily we did food chemistry for a big part of it so they could cook at home, but I don't know how I'd teach most of the things we do online.

Unfortunately at our school a pod system wouldn't work.  Our whole high school is 300 kids, and we have quite a few electives, so kids within each grade are in all kinds of different classes.  We looked into it, and it wasn't feasible for our school.

Our school is going to make masks mandatory.  Don't like it, go home.  I was happy to hear that so we weren't having to deal with headaches of kids not wearing them or being defiant.

I'm just not sure what more could be put in place to protect everyone in schools.  Like I said, as a science teacher, it is like the country's largest experiment.  The science person in me loves that.  I am really looking forward to seeing what will happen.  I think the results, whatever they are, will give us a lot of insight.  I'm really hopeful we open up and things don't pick up and we can keep taking precautions and stay in school.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

That's something I've wondered about.  I don't know enough people in healthcare to know, but is it easy for them to get supplies?  Will supplies be set aside for schools?  I bought a 3 pack of Chlorox wipes in December, and those things are like gold.  I almost want to hide them in my room so nobody knows I have them.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Online was horrible.  Especially for chemistry.  Luckily we did food chemistry for a big part of it so they could cook at home, but I don't know how I'd teach most of the things we do online.

Unfortunately at our school a pod system wouldn't work.  Our whole high school is 300 kids, and we have quite a few electives, so kids within each grade are in all kinds of different classes.  We looked into it, and it wasn't feasible for our school.

Our school is going to make masks mandatory.  Don't like it, go home.  I was happy to hear that so we weren't having to deal with headaches of kids not wearing them or being defiant.

I'm just not sure what more could be put in place to protect everyone in schools.  Like I said, as a science teacher, it is like the country's largest experiment.  The science person in me loves that.  I am really looking forward to seeing what will happen.  I think the results, whatever they are, will give us a lot of insight.  I'm really hopeful we open up and things don't pick up and we can keep taking precautions and stay in school.

Thank you for your response. Clearly one size won’t fit all...and some things will have to be sacrificed. Some classes cut out and maybe go to a home room type scenario where teachers swap out or monitor and have remote teachers on video or something I mean we have some brilliant minds..if we put our heads together it can be accomplished...but right now people just want to fight and argue and blame instead of solve problems. I think people can be safe. I mean I meet hundreds of people a day in my job and so many others do so much more. From people at grocery store to Walmart to truck drivers to the hospitals and nursing homes etc etc. To me to hide from this won’t solve a thing...unless it’s a PR/political thing. I know there are hard working teachers and administrators wanting to help...guess the media even local seems to be pushing an agenda.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

Explain this. 

Dr Fauci says this Univ of MN study shows HCQ didn't work. 

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2016638

Notice the first Dr mentioned received a research grant from Gilead. 

https://www.eventscribe.com/2019/IDWeek/fsPopup.asp?Mode=presenterInfo&PresenterID=688680

Then another Dr debunks the conclusion and says the study actually showed  HCQ works. 

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2007.09477.pdf

The key is using it early - 0-2 days after exposure. Many studies are done with hospital patients who already are rather far along in the disease and thus destined to struggle. 

I'm now thoroughly convinced the pharmaceutical industry that is getting billions for research and vaccines, and spending a ton on lobbyists, is actively trying to shut down the use of HCQ. 

Like I said so many conflicting reports from scientist and many with agendas on both side....which leads to undermining public confidence and thus public safety because they don’t know what to believe. First masks don’t help then they do then they are mandatory and first no large gathering then large protests are ok but then church singing isn’t and the drugs some show promise then don’t etc etc. Avg joe doesn’t know who to believe and yet is being publicly shamed or loses their job because the mob comes after him. Crazy stuff. 

Im no scientist but even I can understand that the timing of treatment would (earlier the better with some of these antiviral etc) be critical to outcomes. I also have close family that takes it for Lupus. Taken larger doses then Covid patients and taken it for years and years with no harm. So if someone wanted to take it right away if they felt a little ill or before being on a plane etc I don’t know why it would be harmful until we get a vaccine. That said there is no money in it and I know exactly what you mean with the pharmaceutical industry. Not that it really matters because we need a vaccine regardless.
Something interesting because we discussed taking it early or as a precaution is countries like Bangladesh that others were saying wasn’t experiencing as severe the cases as the US despite overcrowding or difficulties social distancing also is a country who imported millions of doses of the drug and it is something you can get over the counter as just about any drug in the country. Would be interesting to know how many people went out in March and April taking it on their own at the outset of feeling sick or as preventive (I know it’s a poor country but also this isn’t an expensive drug even there). All in all hard to say so much conflicting info. Just interesting so many positives about it early on and then the WHO and others putting the squash on it. Thanks for your insight!

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Thank you for your response. Clearly one size won’t fit all...and some things will have to be sacrificed. Some classes cut out and maybe go to a home room type scenario where teachers swap out or monitor and have remote teachers on video or something I mean we have some brilliant minds..if we put our heads together it can be accomplished...but right now people just want to fight and argue and blame instead of solve problems. I think people can be safe. I mean I meet hundreds of people a day in my job and so many others do so much more. From people at grocery store to Walmart to truck drivers to the hospitals and nursing homes etc etc. To me to hide from this won’t solve a thing...unless it’s a PR/political thing. I know there are hard working teachers and administrators wanting to help...guess the media even local seems to be pushing an agenda.

I think part of it is the teacher shortage too.  My mom is actually the secretary at the school I teach at, and her first year (2005), I helped her mail letters to people who applied for a social studies job.  There were over 120 people who applied.  We've had the same position open in the last few years, and we had to search just to get a handful of people to interview.  There just aren't people going into education anymore, so I think that is part of the issue.  If there were extra people to step in to do more classes, it would make things a lot easier.

The part I bolded of yours is the biggest thing.  The blaming is crazy right now.  There is definitely a large part of this issue with schools that is political.  I do think of the issues is that it just takes time and experimentation.  There are times I find lessons and I'm so stoked.  Think it is going to be the best lesson I've ever done, and then I do it, and it is garbage.  A complete waste of time.  You really don't know until you actually do it.  I think that is part of the thing with education during this pandemic.  Until schools get in and start doing things, we don't know what will be good or bad.  We might find a lot of new ways to be safe, and we might find some of the ways we thought would work are useless.  No way to know until we try it, but also no way to know what will happen to case numbers until we try it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

E-learning in any capacity is a total cluster.  The kids need to be in the classroom.  

If only  school shootings created the amount of concern Covid has, maybe a lot of those could have been prevented.

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If only  school shootings created the amount of concern Covid has, maybe a lot of those could have been prevented.

I don't mean this in a mean way, but I think that's a very misguided statement. We do all kinds of drills, training, emotional work, and many other things to try to prevent school shootings.

Maybe if our crappy educational system created the amount of concern Covid has, we could improve on our embarrassingly poor education.

• Like 2