Coronavirus

Reacher

4 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

FWIW, school was back in session today down here in Tell City. 85% of the parents said they wanted their kids in school.

At Silver Creek, we don't start back until next week, but I am surprised by the number of parents that chose the virtual option for their kids.  I didn't really put a lot of thought into it, but if you would have asked, I would have guessed it to be about 10%, but based on the numbers being thrown out there, it seems to be closer to 20%.

On 8/2/2020 at 7:00 PM, Reacher said:

Schools were set to get $100 billion + in the Covid bill congress is debating. Granted they could have used it earlier, but there will be $. 

HS kids are still at a very low risk. More likely to die from the flu than Covid. Hopefully, flu will be down this year due to masks, handwashing, distancing, etc. Did teachers complain about getting the flu from students? I'm sure teachers have died from diseases picked up from students. This is not new. 

I like the idea of HS kids going 2 days one week and 3 the next with elearning on the off days. Reduces capacity by 50%. Older, at risk, teachers can be in charge of the e learning. Of course, certain localaties may need to suspend school for a week or two or adjust for their particular circumstances. I like the idea of starting a couple weeks early so there is flexibility to take a week or two off later. 

Kids Jr High and younger should be in school full time. Especially in the schools with more economically challenged kids. 

Just my opinions after talking with a number of teachers. I also heard e learning this last spring was a joke. 

@tdhoosier Above was my take from a few days ago. No doubt it is going to be a logistical mess. What works for one school, city or state will not be the same for others depending on severity , flareups, etc. To anticipate a problem and just default to elearning is a lousy way of handling it IMO. Plan to go to school, in some capacity and have contingency plans. As the Mike Tyson saying goes, "Everybody has a plan until they get hit" Hopefully schools can learn from the successful ones and avoid the issues the problem ones face. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I would say that right now it would be better to go with e-learning until the first of the year.

You are ok with 7 million kids not getting mental health services? An increase in suicides that will kill more kids than Covid? Kids not getting meals?  Kids suffering from the abuse of parents- who will be even more stressed out with kids home full time? Depression and or mental disorders affecting our teens? Increases in drug overdoses? Should we just add a year of school to make up for what will be a lost year of learning for many kids? How about the loss to our economy and the effects on parents where one has to stay home with the kids? Did you read what the CDC Prevention Dr said in this article? =https://www.christianpost.com/news/more-youth-are-dying-of-suicide-overdose-than-covid-19-during-pandemic-cdc-director.html

E-learning has serious consequences that need to be weighed against the benefit of saving (what now appears to be a limited amount of) lives from Covid. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Reacher said:

You are ok with 7 million kids not getting mental health services? An increase in suicides that will kill more kids than Covid? Kids not getting meals?  Kids suffering from the abuse of parents- who will be even more stressed out with kids home full time? Depression and or mental disorders affecting our teens? Increases in drug overdoses? Should we just add a year of school to make up for what will be a lost year of learning for many kids? How about the loss to our economy and the effects on parents where one has to stay home with the kids? Did you read what the CDC Prevention Dr said in this article? =https://www.christianpost.com/news/more-youth-are-dying-of-suicide-overdose-than-covid-19-during-pandemic-cdc-director.html

E-learning has serious consequences that need to be weighed against the benefit of saving (what now appears to be a limited amount of) lives from Covid. 

Been saying a similar version since May. I'm very sorry for all who have or will lose loved one's with Covid-19 but the greater impact is and has been in play. The long term detriments are a far bigger concern.

• Like 1

The more I research and learn,  the more I'm becoming convinced 1000's have died unnecessarily here in the US. 2 biggest mistakes were nursing home policy and HCQ.

In Turkey (where the mortality rate is roughly 1/4 of the US) , HCQ is used early.“Most of patients recover in five days,” Dr Yiyit insists.” http://covexit.com/turkeys-covid-19-early-hydroxychloroquine-treatment-strategy-featured-by-sky-news/

What would happen if we didn't treat the flu until people were sick enough to be hospitalized? Prevented people from obtaining medications to treat it?  

I don't understand why the most advanced countries, with supposedly the best health systems, have the worst outcomes. 

Again, the science is pretty conclusive- https://c19study.com/  (summary of all COVID studies)

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 1

The 7 day average of new cases in the U.S. has started to trend downward.  Daily deaths over the 7 day trend are also down, but the line is not as steep.  The next 7-10 days will really tell us a lot about where we are at as a county.

Meanwhile, Indiana, unfortunately, set a daily high mark of new cases with 1,051, the first time the state recorded over 1,000.  I hope these are just a lag in numbers from infections that started before the statewide mask requirement on the 29th.  I would hope in the next 7-10 days, after the mask requirement has had a time to make a difference, that we see numbers go back down.  

37 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I work with a guy that has a 10 yr old son that had to have his left leg amputated below the knee because they weren't able to see a Dr.  Turns out he had a cancerous tumor in his foot that was inoperable.

The collateral damage from these lockdowns is very real. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

I work with a guy that has a 10 yr old son that had to have his left leg amputated below the knee because they weren't able to see a Dr.  Turns out he had a cancerous tumor in his foot that was inoperable.

The collateral damage from these lockdowns is very real. 

Sad.

Discussion topic.  New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and Connecticut are now doing much better than the rest of the country.  Is it because they are social distancing and masking better?  Or. could it be a little bit of the herd effect.  In other words, did they got hit so hard in March & April that the virus is not finding as many available victims.

:Possibly seeing something similar happening with the states that began to get slammed this summer.  Arizona's pace has slowed quite a bit while California, Texas, and Florida are still setting up high numbers.  The difference?  Arizona has a much smaller population than the others..  So, is it possible that 'herding' is starting to kick in for Arizona, while the others still have a ways to go.  

• Like 1

@5fouls

I would say they have built up some heard immunity.  Sweden is going to be the test case for comparison of responses.  Since they did nothing essentially, stayed open, no masks.

Since the timeline is similar, if you go to worldometers and compare the graphs of Sweden, New York, and New Jersey they are pretty similar. Especially daily new deaths. 

• Like 2

Stories published about 2.5 hours apart by the same source.  You don't even have to open the link.  Everything you need to know can be found by comparing the two titles.  You gotta love the media.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-covid-19-death-toll-rises-for-5th-straight-week/ar-BB17DqVc?ocid=msedgntp

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/coronavirus-updates-us-weekly-covid-19-cases-deaths-down/ar-BB17GaNO?ocid=msedgntp

Edited by 5fouls
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

@5fouls

I would say they have built up some heard immunity.  Sweden is going to be the test case for comparison of responses.  Since they did nothing essentially, stayed open, no masks.

Since the timeline is similar, if you go to worldometers and compare the graphs of Sweden, New York, and New Jersey they are pretty similar. Especially daily new deaths. 

This is a really good article that I read yesterday. I try not to post news sources that lean too far either way because they’re too easily dismissed. The Hill continually ranks high in reliability and is pretty non denominational in their criticism. While it addresses Sweden it makes some very good neutral and general points about comparing one situation to another. There are so many factors that it’s impossible to compare situations, policies, stats, etc. 

As @HoosierFaithful pointed out, we get roped into the game of playing a battle of links/stats we find to support our individual beliefs. The article states: “There’s no harm in stating a statistic because it’s interesting, but to draw conclusions without understanding the full analysis it came from would be inappropriate.“ For example, we can’t conclusively say if opening schools is good or bad because in one country it worked, or in another country it didn’t. Or in the case of Sweden it’s hard to determine the direct result of not mandating the shut down vs. the citizens voluntarily adhering to recommendations. It’s also hard to compare their situation economically, their population density, age demographics, etc. to others. Each area is their own case study. 

Overall though, biologically the virus is going to do what it wants to do; it’s an uncontrollable factor. Evolution in medicine and treatment is going to influence long term effects and death. But it will be human behavior that is going to factor into controlling the spread. Behavior is different in every country. Heck, it’s different in every city. @Lostin76 shared with us an interesting story about his trip to Maryland that highlighted differences in human behavior. NYC seemed to have gotten shook to their core in April. As a result of this experience, most are extremely cautious and wear masks everywhere...even outside. In Maryland he stated this was not the case at all...possibly because they didn’t have such a traumatic experience with COVID. I’ll practice what I preach and will say that this is an interesting situation to consider in analyzing @5fouls question, but it’s just one factor in a larger picture.  

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/510922-the-problem-with-holding-up-sweden-as-an-example

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

This is a really good article that I read yesterday. I try not to post news sources that lean too far either way because they’re too easily dismissed. The Hill continually ranks high in reliability and is pretty non denominational in their criticism. While it addresses Sweden it makes some very good neutral and general points about comparing one situation to another. There are so many factors that it’s impossible to compare situations, policies, stats, etc. 

As @HoosierFaithful pointed out, we get roped into the game of playing a battle of links/stats we find to support our individual beliefs. The article states: “There’s no harm in stating a statistic because it’s interesting, but to draw conclusions without understanding the full analysis it came from would be inappropriate.“ For example, we can’t conclusively say if opening schools is good or bad because in one country it worked, or in another country it didn’t. Or in the case of Sweden it’s hard to determine the direct result of not mandating the shut down vs. the citizens voluntarily adhering to recommendations. It’s also hard to compare their situation economically, their population density, age demographics, etc. to others. Each area is their own case study. 

Overall though, biologically the virus is going to do what it wants to do; it’s an uncontrollable factor. Evolution in medicine and treatment is going to influence long term effects and death. But it will be human behavior that is going to factor into controlling the spread. Behavior is different in every country. Heck, it’s different in every city. @Lostin76 shared with us an interesting story about his trip to Maryland that highlighted differences in human behavior. NYC seemed to have gotten shook to their core in April. As a result of this experience, most are extremely cautious and wear masks everywhere...even outside. In Maryland he stated this was not the case at all...possibly because they didn’t have such a traumatic experience with COVID. I’ll practice what I preach and will say that this is an interesting situation to consider in analyzing @5fouls question, but it’s just one factor in a larger picture.  

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/510922-the-problem-with-holding-up-sweden-as-an-example

"Shook to their core" is a good way of putting it. I also saw a tweet yesterday that really captures how people who were here in NYC might see this whole thing in a different light. I would definitely put us in the "extremely cautious" camp. Something about those 24/7 sirens and eerily empty streets just stays with you.

I'm also seriously concerned about the economic fallout and other aspects of this, but it's just hard for me to take COVID-deniers, anti-maskers, or people that belittle this thing seriously.

The virus will do what it does, we can only hope to mitigate it with our actions.

https://twitter.com/angpal/status/1291232038452891648?s=20

Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 10.41.22 AM.png

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

"Shook to their core" is a good way of putting it. I also saw a tweet yesterday that really captures how people who were here in NYC might see this whole thing in a different light. I would definitely put us in the "extremely cautious" camp. Something about those 24/7 sirens and eerily empty streets just stays with you.

I'm also seriously concerned about the economic fallout and other aspects of this, but it's just hard for me to take COVID-deniers, anti-maskers, or people that belittle this thing seriously.

The virus will do what it does, we can only hope to mitigate it with our actions.

https://twitter.com/angpal/status/1291232038452891648?s=20

Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 10.41.22 AM.png

I will say that I have clients and friends who live in NYC and not one of them take the virus lightly. I may never forget talking to one of my clients in NYC in April, she was on the verge of tears explaining the constant eire sounds of sirens. Yes we have a better grasp on transmission and have better treatments now, but experiences (or lack of) sure have a way of shaping perceptions and behavior.

If I avoid a car accident by forgetting to check my blind spot...I tend to drive overly cautious and triple check my blind spot for the following 3 months. haha.  Couldn't imagine what the memories of a deserted city and constant ambulance sirens would do to your psyche. Thanks for sharing Lost. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Thanks 1