Coronavirus

Reacher

35 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Be interesting to discern the number of deaths directly attributable to the virus itself, as opposed to those that are more attributable to the measures taken to slow the spread.

I'm talking more about increased reactions to depression (suicides, overdoses, alcohol poisonings, domestic/child abuse) possibly triggered by lockdown orders and restrictions that have been out in place. Not that I think COVID-19 is the sole driver of those...

Then you have to figure in the number of people who couldn't get care because of resources...

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Be interesting to discern the number of deaths directly attributable to the virus itself, as opposed to those that are more attributable to the measures taken to slow the spread.

I'm talking more about increased reactions to depression (suicides, overdoses, alcohol poisonings, domestic/child abuse) possibly triggered by lockdown orders and restrictions that have been out in place. Not that I think COVID-19 is the sole driver of those...

Then you have to figure in the number of people who couldn't get care because of resources...

From our experience we know that the number of COVID deaths are higher than reported. What we don't know is what you are referring to - the number of deaths that may be attributable to conditions due to COVID. I honestly don't know of any faculty locally that are looking at this, but I'm sure it's not an insignificant number.

We do know that planned and even unplanned care dropped tremendously.

This article is interesting b/c you can watch the excess deaths rise as COVID moves through the country - starting out really high in NE initially then dropping. And now the numbers of excess deaths are rising in the south.

• Like 1

I"m not sure how trustworthy the NYTimes is. 

Not saying this is accurate either, but this Dr comes to practically the opposite conclusion saying there are no excess deaths. I think we won't know the truth for another year.

https://www.primarydoctor.org/is-there-a-pandemic

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Edited by Reacher

9 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Not saying this is accurate either, but this Dr comes to practically the opposite conclusion saying there are no excess deaths. I think we won't know the truth for another year.

Dude, come on. It's the freakin' NYT. The paper of record for most of the world.

Straight from MediaBias/FactCheck:

Overall, we rate the New York Times Left-Center biased based on word and story selection that moderately favors the left, but highly factual and considered one of the most reliable sources for news information due to proper sourcing and well-respected journalists/editors.

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

This is the study I keep seeing other news outlets like CBS and The HIll report on: https://wellbeingtrust.org/areas-of-focus/policy-and-advocacy/reports/projected-deaths-of-despair-during-covid-19/

This is modeling, so to be taken with a grain of salt as it ranges from 27k to 150k additional deaths of despair through 2029. Whether we did or didn't lock down, I still think the economic effects and fear would been devastating. And the longer it takes to get it under under control, the economic effects, fear and DoD's will continue. 

image.png.f478a15e86e36bf29aff9d1825620422.png

It's impossible to figure out, but the question also needs to be asked how many lives have been saved by the measures the country has taken vs. excessive deaths that are a direct result of such measures. I'm not minimizing excessive deaths, but if 10 lives are being saved for every 1 additional death of despair over the median, then we do have a pretty substantial net gain in life. Again, I just completely made up that ratio, but I think it's a reasonable question to ask. 

Just thinking out loud as there are no right answers. It's a shitty situation all around. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Dude, come on. It's the freakin' NYT. The paper of record for most of the world.

Overall, we rate the New York Times Left-Center biased based on word and story selection that moderately favors the left, but highly factual and considered one of the most reliable sources for news information due to proper sourcing and well-respected journalists/editors.

You are living in the past. Read this- https://nypost.com/2019/08/11/the-new-york-times-modifies-its-motto-to-fit-leftist-agenda/

"Not so long ago, The New York Times was the most trusted newspaper in America, maybe even the world. The world has changed and the media with it, but no news organization has changed more than the Times."

The stories they have been wrong about could fill the newspaper.

Their opinion editor Bari Weiss recently resigned because she was harassed for her moderate views. James Bennet was forced to resign because he published a op ed from a US Republican Senator. A group complains and they change their headline 3x due to the pressure. 

I could go on for days but we are drifting away from the Coronavirus here. You and I see this one differently. Feel free to PM if you wish to discuss further so we don't derail this thread,

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

I'm curious to know how the formula for setting the baseline number.  To me, that's important.  The Baby Boomer generation born between 1946 and 1964 is getting older.  It's only natural that deaths will begin to rise as that happens.  And, maybe it's already factored into the formula used to make these projections. 

But, it's important to note that the median age of the U.S. population went from 28.1 in 1970 to 35.3 in 2000, to 38.4 in 2019.  That's significant.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I'm going to assume that is sarcasm. 

7 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Just thinking out loud as there are no right answers. It's a shitty situation all around. 

You got that right...

That's why I think citing all these numbers are like a dog chasing its tail. Not slamming @Lostin76 at all because it is interesting and spurs dialogue, it's just that we'll never know for sure, and to assess any kind of blame or give kudos citing numbers at this point doesn't serve any purpose. 

At least not to me...

36 minutes ago, Reacher said:

You are living in the past. Read this- https://nypost.com/2019/08/11/the-new-york-times-modifies-its-motto-to-fit-leftist-agenda/

"Not so long ago, The New York Times was the most trusted newspaper in America, maybe even the world. The world has changed and the media with it, but no news organization has changed more than the Times."

The stories they have been wrong about could fill the newspaper.

Their opinion editor Bari Weiss recently resigned because she was harassed for her moderate views. James Bennet was forced to resign because he published a op ed from a US Republican Senator. A group complains and they change their headline 3x due to the pressure. 

I could go on for days but we are drifting away from the Coronavirus here. You and I see this one differently. Feel free to PM if you wish to discuss further so we don't derail this thread,

You are quoting the NYPost, so nope.

42 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Reacher, all due respect, here are some links you've posted in the last few pages. 

primarydoctor.org
alec.org
justthenews.com
covexit.com
upi.com
alachaucchronicle.com
christianpost.com
brietbart.com

You can't possibly know the trustworthiness of all these random links you find and now you are going to practice sourcing skepticism? At least the NY TImes is big enough to be held up to scrutiny. Not blasting you for sharing info/data, but come on.....pot meet kettle?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On the disappointing front, Indiana is 2.5 weeks into the mandate to wear masks in public and cases are still at record or near record levels each day.  Testing is up, but not to the level that would normally result in the percentage increase we have seen.  I had hoped to see numbers begin to go down.

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Reacher, all due respect, here are some links you've posted in the last few pages. 

primarydoctor.org
alec.org
justthenews.com
covexit.com
upi.com
alachaucchronicle.com
christianpost.com
brietbart.com

You can't possibly know the trustworthiness of all these random links you find and now you are going to practice sourcing skepticism? At least the NY TImes is big enough to be held up to scrutiny. Not blasting you for sharing info/data, but come on.....pot meet kettle?

Primarydoctor.org is like a Saturday Night Live skit of misinformation. I won't even comment on the rest.