Coronavirus

Reacher

4 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Few went straight to Netflix recently and I think a couple on Amazon. We watched Palm Springs recently which skipped the theater.

Was it any good?

Geez, seems like the last movie I saw that was really good was "Manchester by the Sea." 

20 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Primarydoctor.org is like a Saturday Night Live skit of misinformation. I won't even comment on the rest.

Every media source is going to present data in a way that best serves the narrative they are trying to present.  That includes The New York Times. 

That said, just because a source is not widely known does not make it a bad source.  I can't help to think about the early days of this thread where the perception was that the data published by Johns Hopkins was the gold standard, while an unknown source like Worldometer could not be trusted.  Turns out that Johns Hopkins was using Worldometer's data.  That's a very good example of perception bias influencing the way we look at things.

The reality is that two people on opposite ends of the spectrum can take the exact same data and manipulate it in a way that fits the message they want to promote.  Let's take the link you provided from the Times as an example.  It has graphed actual deaths against expected deaths for every state, as well as New York City on it's own.  Someone that wants to isolate the terrifying possibilities of this virus needs to look no further than the graph for NYC.  By contrast, someone that lives in places like Hawaii and West Virginia can look at their graph and wonder why they have to wear masks, can't go to school, and not have a football season.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It probably has been like 8-10 years since I went to the movie theater.  Once my kids got older I did not go and most of the movies I did go see was kids movies.

Haven't been in 2 years and I love movies.  But if you have a nice 77" 4k set in your basement with a high end sound system it's much better to watch from home.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Every media source is going to present data in a way that best serves the narrative they are trying to present.  That includes The New York Times. 

That said, just because a source is not widely known does not make it a bad source.  I can't help to think about the early days of this thread where the perception was that the data published by Johns Hopkins was the gold standard, while an unknown source like Worldometer could not be trusted.  Turns out that Johns Hopkins was using Worldometer's data.  That's a very good example of perception bias influencing the way we look at things.

The reality is that two people on opposite ends of the spectrum can take the exact same data and manipulate it in a way that fits the message they want to promote.  Let's take the link you provided from the Times as an example.  It has graphed actual deaths against expected deaths for every state, as well as New York City on it's own.  Someone that wants to isolate the terrifying possibilities of this virus needs to look no further than the graph for NYC.  By contrast, someone that lives in places like Hawaii and West Virginia can look at their graph and wonder why they have to wear masks, can't go to school, and not have a football season.  

Yes, all of that is the case. It's why I avoid super liberal or super conservative media sources. If they lean right or left, fine. But something like Primarydoctor.org or Breitbart is not helping during this.

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It probably has been like 8-10 years since I went to the movie theater.  Once my kids got older I did not go and most of the movies I did go see was kids movies.

I'm not a movie theater fan, but I do LOVE the Alamo Drafthouse. Love the big comfy seats, good food and drinks too!

31 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Haven't been in 2 years and I love movies.  But if you have a nice 77" 4k set in your basement with a high end sound system it's much better to watch from home.

Man Cave !   It's where I spend most of my time during this Pandemic.   Probably one of the things that keeps me going.

Have I said..... danged Pandemic ? 

Ever since I switched to streaming a few years ago I have maybe been to a theater once every couple years.  I guess since I'm not seeing the previews I dont think about movies much. I do redbox sometimes.  I just get stuck on tv shows, currently Jack Ryan, and binge watch. By the time I'm done I have another one ready to go. 

Edited by mrflynn03

14 minutes ago, Reacher said:

This story won't die. More compelling evidence for what we have been hearing for awhile.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/hydroxychloroquine-works-in-high-risk-patients-and-saying-otherwise-is-dangerous

Harvey Risch, M.D., Ph.D., is a professor of epidemiology at Yale School of Public Health.

Mrs. mile was placed on this medication years ago.  Back then, it was always available and cheap.  Since the pandemic, Mrs. mile has had to wait for renewals unlike before. So she calls ahead of time now.   And the price has gone up substantially.  Thank goodness for medicare.

Mrs. mile does not add Zink.  However I have seen reports that Zink does help as a supplement.

Edited by milehiiu

8 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

102 year old survives 1918 flu, cancer, and corona

I just thought this was a good story. 

Thanks for that link. I honesty believe that the man above looks out for people like her.  Don't ask me why.  And I don't know why.

As for me.  I had every childhood disease, except for mumps before I was one year old.  And can't remember being sick due to my age at the time.  Don't take any medications to this day.  And rarely, if ever get sick to this day.   I feel blessed.

• Like 1

Has the life expectancy of one entering a nursing home been discussed.  I heard last week around 6 months.  I've searched and found this study by San Francisco VA Medical Center and the University of California, San Francisco in 2010.  https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2010/08/98172/social-support-key-nursing-home-length-stay-death#:~:text=The average age of participants,study died within six months.

A few things stuck out.  “One quarter of all deaths in the United States occur in nursing homes, and that figure is expected to rise to 40 percent by the year 2020,”

Note, "For the study, the authors analyzed data on 1,817 nursing home residents who died between 1992 and 2006."

"The average age of participants when they moved to a nursing home was about 83. The average length of stay before death was 13.7 months, while the median was five months. Fifty-three percent of nursing home residents in the study died within six months."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

A couple of things that came to mind from the article.  People need to be encouraged to be responsible for their own health. I cant believe their isn't a national discussion on this. 

Dr. Fauci sounds like he needs to brush up on some current research.  Surely the guy knows what T cells are among other new developments.

More than 2% of people have been infected by this. The thing has been around for 8 months now. 

19 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

A couple of things that came to mind from the article.  People need to be encouraged to be responsible for their own health. I cant believe their isn't a national discussion on this. 

Dr. Fauci sounds like he needs to brush up on some current research.  Surely the guy knows what T cells are among other new developments.

More than 2% of people have been infected by this. The thing has been around for 8 months now. 

If anyone thinks that we have not been having a national discussion about this for 6 months, we don't need them in the herd to begin with. Heck, it's all we've been talking about.

6 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

If anyone thinks that we have not been having a national discussion about this for 6 months, we don't need them in the herd to begin with. Heck, it's all we've been talking about.

I'm talking about teaching people about proper nutrition and eating healthy. I dont recall at any time hearing about this from the "experts".  Its one thing to say be healthier and a whole other thing to teach people how to do it. It needs to be taught in school.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

So you need to school Fauci on T-cells? haha.

That article completely takes his answer out of context and contradicts itself.

But when the actor followed it up with asking if allowing everyone to get infected would help achieve herd protection, Fauci said, "If everyone contracted it, even with the relatively high percentage of people without symptoms ... a lot of people are going to die".

Several epidemiologists believe herd immunity is necessary to contain a virus and can be achieved when a vast majority of the population either survives the infection or gets vaccinated and develops antibodies to fight new infections. 

Allowing 'everyone to get infected' as a means of her immunity is completely different than 'surviving infection or getting vaccinated' as a means to herd immunity. Given how the question was asked, his answer was correct. 

I don't think article does a good job at explaining the nuances of herd immunity. There's a huge misconception about it. I've listened to a quite a few podcast interviews with epidemiologists and infectious disease experts. First, herd immunity is usually the goal before a virus begins infecting the population. This is how the term has been typically used in the past. This is done through the use of vaccines. All of the interviews I listened to actually agree with Fauci in that trying to reach herd immunity without the assistance of a vaccine is extremely dangerous and would cause a lot of unnecessary deaths. Second of all, you can't just blast through herd immunity, because like a boulder running down a hill, the infection rate must be slowed down before it reaches that projected line of 70% or it will blow right past herd immunity....again, unnecessarily killing way more people than could be prevented if done responsibly. 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

In this case, how could that even have been possible?

That’s the whole point....that’s what happens with pandemics...they come out of know where and we can’t prepare. Herd immunity should not be a viable option, until a vaccine is developed or many will die who could be saved with the wide spread use of a vaccine. In modern times herd immunity is achieved in tandem with a vaccine. That’s why they make a ‘best guess’ with flu vaccine, they want to build up antibodies before the Seasonal flu hits to minimize it’s spread/effectiveness. We don’t have that luxury with COVID, so we need to stall R as much as we can, until a vaccine is available. 

Furthermore, we STILL don’t know how long antibodies last. We might want to find that out before rushing towards herd immunity without a vaccine or significant pharmaceutical breakthrough.