Coronavirus

Reacher

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Bolt said he had no Covid symptoms. Soooooo....? He just randomly decided to get tested?   No mention of someone at his party that was positive which would warrant the test and quarantine. What am I missing?

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

I'm on Losartan (Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme inhibitor)...I guess I can go mask free!

(Don't anybody go getting your knickers in a twist...I wouldn't do that) 😁

• Like 1

Not sure if anybody ever listens, but I always like to share when Donald McNeil is on The Daily. He speaks about some of the things we've discussed on here:

- He speculates that the flu season will be very mild because of all the restrictions in effect due to COVID: washing hands, social distancing, travel restrictions, etc. Cases in the southern hemisphere (where it's flu season) are way down. Australia is reporting 95% less flu cases. So, good news....he still recommends getting a flu shot to be safe though.

- He and many immunologists are not worried about the guy from Hong Kong who was re-infected with COVID. Basically, the first time his symptoms were very mild. The milderer the infection the less antibodies that are created. When he had it the second time he was asymptomatic, which most likely means he only had enough antibodies to decrease the severity of the illness, but not completely make him immune. These 2 factors: mild first case and even milder second case are a good sign and are typical of antibody behavior in other illnesses. There will be outliers who get re-infected, we should really only be worried if the symptoms of a re-infected person are more severe the second time. (at least that's how I understood it)

- He said immunologists, for the most part, believe immunity will last a year or more. Again, this is an educated guess based off of how long immunities last in other viruses that closely resemble COVID.

- From what immunologists can gather, COVID mutates at a third of the rate that the seasonal flu does. If this holds true, it may mean we need to vaccinate every three years, but again, (I sound like a broken record)  it all depends on the vaccines that are developed, and how long immunities last. 

- He also speaks about vaccines in China and Russia. Both are by passing the third and most important phase which Western scientists think is crazy. He explains why bypassing or rushing a third phase is extremely dangerous. Worst case scenario, the vaccine increases the severity of the symptoms for those who get infected....it's not something you want to play around with. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/25/podcasts/the-daily/coronavirus-plasma-reinfection.html

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Not sure if anybody ever listens, but I always like to share when Donald McNeil is on The Daily. He speaks about some of the things we've discussed on here:

- He speculates that the flu season will be very mild because of all the restrictions in effect due to COVID: washing hands, social distancing, travel restrictions, etc. Cases in the southern hemisphere (where it's flu season) are way down. Australia is reporting 95% less flu cases. So, good news....he still recommends getting a flu shot to be safe though.

- He and many immunologists are not worried about the guy from Hong Kong who was re-infected with COVID. Basically, the first time his symptoms were very mild. The milderer the infection the less antibodies that are created. When he had it the second time he was asymptomatic, which most likely means he only had enough antibodies to decrease the severity of the illness, but not completely make him immune. These 2 factors: mild first case and even milder second case are a good sign and are typical of antibody behavior in other illnesses. There will be outliers who get re-infected, we should really only be worried if the symptoms of a re-infected person are more severe the second time. (at least that's how I understood it)

- He said immunologists, for the most part, believe immunity will last a year or more. Again, this is an educated guess based off of how long immunities last in other viruses that closely resemble COVID.

- From what immunologists can gather, COVID mutates at a third of the rate that the seasonal flu does. If this holds true, it may mean we need to vaccinate every three years, but again, (I sound like a broken record)  it all depends on the vaccines that are developed, and how long immunities last. 

- He also speaks about vaccines in China and Russia. Both are by passing the third and most important phase which Western scientists think is crazy. He explains why bypassing or rushing a third phase is extremely dangerous. Worst case scenario, the vaccine increases the severity of the symptoms for those who get infected....it's not something you want to play around with. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/25/podcasts/the-daily/coronavirus-plasma-reinfection.html

Some encouraging information.  Thanks for sharing.

18 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I just went over this with our director in yesterday's staff meeting. She said exactly the same thing about the flu season and I hope she is right. And yes, still get the flu shot!

• Like 1

Story expresses concern about the number of cases associated with the Sturgis motorcycle rally. 

There have been 70 cases identified.

365, 979 people attended that rally

That's 0.019%

Meanwhile, total cases in the U.S. break down like this.

5,985,327 cases

331,000,000 approximate U.S. population

That's 1.8%

So, the story's point is?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/26/us/sturgis-motorcycle-rally-cases-trnd/index.html

• Haha 1

read 2 vaccines sent to FDA for approval after completing 3rd phase of trials. 1 said to have immune 60% of the people in the trial including a person 95 years old. High bar for FDA is 50%. The only thing they dont know is how long the vaccine will last of course. meaning a shot yearly, like the flu shot, until they figure it out over time. 8 other vaccines are now in phase 3. Hope we can see one out in Oct. or Nov.

• Like 3