Coronavirus

Reacher

11 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Glad to see people catching on to what we were discussing last week. Now if only the American media would catch up....

6 extra cycles may not seem like much but billions of dna fragments can be replicated during those few cycles at the end of the amplification process.

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

6 extra cycles may not seem like much but billions of dna fragments can be replicated during those few cycles at the end of the amplification process.

Don't have to convince me. Explains why 26,000 college kids can be diagnosed but none hospitalized. 

27 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Expect we'll be seeing a lot more stories like this- https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/09/08/los-angeles-county-halloween-no-trick-or-treating-covid-19/

My wife usually gets the candy early from Costco. Probably need to hold off and see what happens here. 

Halloween will be canceled but Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's will go on as usual. Bank it.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Expect we'll be seeing a lot more stories like this- https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/09/08/los-angeles-county-halloween-no-trick-or-treating-covid-19/

My wife usually gets the candy early from Costco. Probably need to hold off and see what happens here. 

At this point I honestly believe they are just trying to make people miserable.  I guess they dont really believe masks and distancing work because you can do that and trick or treat. I mean, masks are literally a part of alot of Halloween costumes. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

At this point I honestly believe they are just trying to make people miserable.  I guess they dont really believe masks and distancing work because you can do that and trick or treat. I mean, masks are literally a part of alot of Halloween costumes. 

You could really get creative with Halloween costumes and socially-distanced trick or treating! I don't really agree with cancelling Halloween.

Life has pretty much returned so some type of normal here. Tons of people out, outdoor dining and drinking everywhere. Big avenue near us is closed down on weekends and tons of people are out talking and playing in the street. Sure, people are wearing masks and keeping their distance, and entry to indoor establishments is limited to a certain number of people, but life is still happening here.

Not sure what this will look like when the temps start dropping though. Could be a long and dark winter! We ordered a heat lamp for our terrace.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Keeping the kids indoors may actually spread the virus.  More indoor parties instead of kids being outside going door to door.

You can easily keep trick or treating without actual contact with a bucket of candy on the porch or at the end of the driveway.  

Exactly. This is the one holiday that would be an easy flex.

First toilet paper now printers? My wifes work printer died so we headed out last night to get a replacement. Costco had none. Walmart had none. Best buy was closed so went home to look online. Many on Amazon not available for 4-6 weeks. Ordered a B&W one that we found even though not exactly what we wanted. Apparently a combination of people getting them for their home offices and for kids being schooled at home.  I've also heard certain appliances, especially refrigerators, are hard to come by. 

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

First toilet paper now printers? My wifes work printer died so we headed out last night to get a replacement. Costco had none. Walmart had none. Best buy was closed so went home to look online. Many on Amazon not available for 4-6 weeks. Ordered a B&W one that we found even though not exactly what we wanted. Apparently a combination of people getting them for their home offices and for kids being schooled at home.  I've also heard certain appliances, especially refrigerators, are hard to come by. 

Geez, I didn't notice but you're right...I bought an HP inkjet to replace a GREAT Brother laser printer that had been running flawlessly for 7 years (I knew better, but...) not long ago at Costco, and I hate it...Want to get back to another Brother laser, but can't find just a printer (don't need the all in one crap...who the hell scans and faxes anymore anyway?) anywhere...

All of my wife's hearings have been via online/camera,etc...We bought a new web camera and printer/scanner in May. Just had it delivered 2 weeks ago. It was impossible to find in April and May. Stinks that it's still going on. Speaking of refrigerators my aunt bought one in April. Just had it delivered last week. 

I know Covid has caused problems but some of this stuff just doesn't make any sense to me. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

All of my wife's hearings have been via online/camera,etc...We bought a new web camera and printer/scanner in May. Just had it delivered 2 weeks ago. It was impossible to find in April and May. Stinks that it's still going on. Speaking of refrigerators my aunt bought one in April. Just had it delivered last week. 

I know Covid has caused problems but some of this stuff just doesn't make any sense to me. 

The public library in Muncie just opened for the first time since March. I personally think libraries have gone overboard with all of this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

The public library in Muncie just opened for the first time since March. I personally think libraries have gone overboard with all of this. 

That's weird for sure. Carmel library has been open since May. They did curbside pickups for a few weeks which I really liked but opened it up months ago to quick visits as they call it. Recently closed because of renovations or whatever just opening up after all this time seems really strange. 

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Geez, I didn't notice but you're right...I bought an HP inkjet to replace a GREAT Brother laser printer that had been running flawlessly for 7 years (I knew better, but...) not long ago at Costco, and I hate it...Want to get back to another Brother laser, but can't find just a printer (don't need the all in one crap...who the hell scans and faxes anymore anyway?) anywhere...

Faxes should be obsolete and relegated to the history books along side floppy disks. 

Yet my wife still uses her fax on occasion. I use eFax a few times per year. Seems like government offices still use faxes. 

I scan fairly often. 

7 hours ago, Reacher said:

Appliances are a nightmare. Refrigerators are fairly tough for us to get. Washers/dryers are next to impossible.  Likely that way for the rest of the year. Its starting to tax our business for sure.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Reacher said:

Faxes should be obsolete and relegated to the history books along side floppy disks. 

Yet my wife still uses her fax on occasion. I use eFax a few times per year. Seems like government offices still use faxes. 

I scan fairly often. 

Local government offices? I deal with a lot of Federal officers, and I have a fax in my office (well, I think it's still there) and haven't used it in at least 5 years.

Scan, yeah...maybe...I got in the habit of scanning my receipts in Microsoft Lens immediately when I traveled a lot, and the routing them to my OneDrive. Our admin travel folks were always shocked that I had my travel vouchers in so early...

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Local government offices? I deal with a lot of Federal officers, and I have a fax in my office (well, I think it's still there) and haven't used it in at least 5 years.

Scan, yeah...maybe...I got in the habit of scanning my receipts in Microsoft Lens immediately when I traveled a lot, and the routing them to my OneDrive. Our admin travel folks were always shocked that I had my travel vouchers in so early...

St of IL is still in the dark ages.

Some people will fax as they believe it is more secure than email. My answer to that is encrypted email.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Reacher said:

The median age of Covid deaths in FL last week was....  93.

Covid deaths in Chicago under age 17- 2

Kids (under 19) shot and killed in Chicago this year- 85

This chart really highlights how NY / NJ mismanaged the crisis-

covid%2Bflat%2Bcurve.webp

I'm not denying that some bad decisions were made, but NY and NJ by no choice of their own took a kick in the balls from the rest of the country because they were the guinea pigs that the rest of the states learned from. The virus was already spreading before any restrictions were put in place, which caused it to get out of control. All this, when they had very little idea of what they dealing with, who to keep safe and how to keep them safe, and how to effectively treat it. Just thought this need to be said for some perspective. If the virus first hit another major US city I'm so not sure the numbers (figured to population) would look all that different. 

This would be like assigning a foreign person who'd never seen a football game to be the coach of the Colts after the first quarter. The first game he'd get clobbered. He'd eventually get less worse once he understood the rules, how to prepare and how to play. 

• Thanks 1

The median age of Covid deaths in FL last week was....  93.

Covid deaths in Chicago under age 17- 2

Kids (under 19) shot and killed in Chicago this year- 85

This chart really highlights how NY / NJ mismanaged the crisis-

covid%2Bflat%2Bcurve.webp

Seriously? NYC and NJ got slammed by this when the rest of the US still thought it was "a hoax." Yet, we did what was needed to reverse it and are down to single digit deaths daily.

Yesterday, FL had 202 deaths and Texas had 126. This is AFTER months of living with this and we have learned more about the virus. Would have been interesting if COVID arrived in FL first instead of NYC - that would give a new meaning to competent leadership (or lack of).

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Seriously? NYC and NJ got slammed by this when the rest of the US still thought it was "a hoax." Yet, we did what was needed to reverse it and are down to single digit deaths daily.

Yesterday, FL had 202 deaths and Texas had 126. This is AFTER months of living with this and we have learned more about the virus. Would have been interesting if COVID arrived in FL first instead of NYC - that would give a new meaning to competent leadership (or lack of).

You cannot ignore the fact that NY/ NJ had greater fatalities and you admit you got "slammed". Yet gov't / healthcare policies had nothing to do with that? Personally, I feel FL handled it better than NY and would rather have took my chances/ lived in the former during the crisis. You can be proud of single digits now, but don't ignore what happened earlier.