Coronavirus

Reacher

9 minutes ago, Reacher said:

You cannot ignore the fact that NY/ NJ had greater fatalities and you admit you got "slammed". Yet gov't / healthcare policies had nothing to do with that? Personally, I feel FL handled it better than NY and would rather have took my chances/ lived in the former during the crisis. You can be proud of single digits now, but don't ignore what happened earlier.

"Ignore what happened earlier"? I f8cking lived it - over 800 deaths a day, sirens 24/7, and people terrified to leave their houses. While you were yammering about it being overblown...

Our healthcare (besides the horrible nursing home debacle, which still pisses me off) response was the reason it wasn't worse. I know this as an administrator in a huge hospital system.

FL handled it better? 🤣

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Good thing sleepy Joe isn't our President. He said it was xenophobic to shut our borders down! 

Funny, you are the one who complains it's all political, yet, make it political with these posts. 

AND yes....it's SO political and It's 'going to go away' after the election. Keep telling yourselves that.  Do you guys take some time to think about the BS coming out of you mouths? Yes, it was a hoax that the WHOLE world was in on. All these other countries wanted to destroy their economies just to get Trump out of office. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

🤠

I know it's morbid, but my wife and I are waiting patiently for real estate prices to drop. We do not have the money to buy here, but if townhouses start dropping below $1M...

Our building has a few empty units now, they never do normally. But they are only offering 1 month free rent to people so far.

6 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I've seen too many lives ruined by closing down shit for no reason. People I know lost EVERYTHING. Some to suicide. 

Trump can't hold a rally bc of the china virus but millions of people can go out and protest and everything is dandy. If you don't think this is all politics then I dont know what to tell you. 

...I thought you were leaving? I'm too busy cowering in my basement to reply to the irony of your last 2 sentences. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

🤠

I know it's morbid, but my wife and I are waiting patiently for real estate prices to drop. We do not have the money to buy here, but if townhouses start dropping below $1M...

Our building has a few empty units now, they never do normally. But they are only offering 1 month free rent to people so far.

Patience, my friend. hopefully you can save 5 or 10% on your next couple annual renewals. It will take a couple years for foreclosures to work through the system and start lowering values. Of course there will distressed seller along the way... You can always start making some low ball offers to see who is desperate.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

This subject is and always has been highly political.  It is a toxic subject for many.  The board struggles with the topic.  Just my opinion, obviously, but it wouldn't bother me if this thread was shutdown.

Of course, it really would help if Trey would simply commit.  😁

6 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

This subject is and always has been highly political.  It is a toxic subject for many.  The board struggles with the topic.  Just my opinion, obviously, but it wouldn't bother me if this thread was shutdown.

I think shutting it down would be a disservice to those that have participated and kept politics out of it.  We learn a lot from sharing each others experiences on how to cope with the situation, 

• Like 5

I am closing this for now. Some of you long time posters are blatantly making a mockery of this forum and the rules. May as well flip the middle finger to all the mods who have tried to let the community act civilly. 

I have no time right now to edit and clean. And damn those of you who even make it necessary. 

The lack or respect frankly just pisses me off. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think shutting it down would be a disservice to those that have participated and kept politics out of it.  We learn a lot from sharing each others experiences on how to cope with the situation, 

Hopefully temporary.  I am covered at work. Ending it now until I, or felllow mods, can properly address.

Its a shame, really.

31 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

HSN,

First, thank you. The vast majority of you have handled this difficult and divisive topic respectfully.

The mods have come to a few conclusions. Deviating from our norm, we feel it is important to publicly inform the community.

We made a difficult decision to ban RTZ, who we all know has been a long time member. Regardless, we want to convey to all of you that we are serious about our rules and culture. We also want everybody to know we value each of you. When anybody so blatantly breaks the rules and gets that personal, we have to act decisively. This protects our culture as well as showing our members we will not tolerate personal attacks against any of you. Regardless of who it is from.

We are going to reopen this thread. It does serve a purpose. 

Just be respectful of the rules and each other. Debate and discuss, as most of you have.

Obviously this will be monitored very closely.

Again, thank you all. We do not take the community or individual for granted. 

Carry on.

With over 110k views, this has been a very important thread.  Don't mind saying I was discouraged when it got locked. But understood why. Sad that we have lost a long time member. Maybe there will be a get out of jail  card for him in the future.  And I am very pleased that it got unlocked.  Thank you Thank you.Thank you.   Tough job being moderator.  You guys are the best !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is probably a good time to post this about how incredibly difficult moderating online communities has been this year in light of COVID and related fallout.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/08/25/volunteer-moderators-2020/

Over the past five months, many moderators have found their jobs mirroring the outside world: increasingly messy, harder and unpredictable. The pandemic pushed people into isolation, and many turned to online communities for socialization and companionship. The real world has been hard to keep at bay.

The changes also reflect the increasingly partisan nature of social media, which allows users to create social bubbles that exclude views that contradict their own. Groups and other online forums splintering into factions have continued that trend.

“Conversations are becoming increasingly charged in spaces where people are not necessarily used to seeing politically charged conversations,” says Kat Lo, a content moderation lead at technology nonprofit group Meedan, who studies content moderation.

Much love to the mods here, b/c you guys have created one of my favorite (and most pleasant) places on the internet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2