Coronavirus

Reacher

Illinois had their third highest total of new cases today with 4,015 .  In fact, the highest number of cases on September 3rd was such an outlier, it may have been a situation where positive cases were hoarded and reported all at once.  Today may be their second highest. 

Maybe that quarantine for crossing state lines should work both ways.  

Edited by 5fouls

3 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I wish there would have been more info on the "why". Had to read through to the end to find some reasons. Don't understand how protecting the vulnerable is unethical. Looks like this debate will be with us for awhile.

Coronavirus pandemic plunges millions of Americans into poverty

As Congress remains deadlocked on a new coronavirus economic stimulus package, two new studies show at least 6 million more people in the US are in poverty due to the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic.

A study from Columbia University published on Thursday found that the number of Americans in poverty grew by 8 million since May.

Since then, monthly poverty rates have grown closer to what researchers estimate rates would have been without the Cares Act. The poverty rates in August and September were 17.3% and 16.7%, respectively. Without the stimulus package, researchers would have expected rates of 18.7% and 18% in those months, respectively.

11 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Coronavirus pandemic plunges millions of Americans into poverty

As Congress remains deadlocked on a new coronavirus economic stimulus package, two new studies show at least 6 million more people in the US are in poverty due to the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic.

A study from Columbia University published on Thursday found that the number of Americans in poverty grew by 8 million since May.

Since then, monthly poverty rates have grown closer to what researchers estimate rates would have been without the Cares Act. The poverty rates in August and September were 17.3% and 16.7%, respectively. Without the stimulus package, researchers would have expected rates of 18.7% and 18% in those months, respectively.

My industry is just now starting to take a hit. Business is very good but getting products to do the work is becoming more difficult and much more expensive.  Its hard to pass along that extra expense and keep customers happy but killing our margins.

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

My industry is just now starting to take a hit. Business is very good but getting products to do the work is becoming more difficult and much more expensive.  Its hard to pass along that extra expense and keep customers happy but killing our margins.

Where I work we use a lot of disposable sterile plastics materials.  Right now everything from the last couple orders is backordered.  I wonder how the much lowered demand for oil plays into it.

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Where I work we use a lot of disposable sterile plastics materials.  Right now everything from the last couple orders is backordered.  I wonder how the much lowered demand for oil plays into it.

true.  For us we use white polycarbonate material for sign faces. All our suppliers stopped producing to make clear for all covid protocol shields for businesses. Thats what I should have been selling 

U.S. Medical Supply Shortage Plaguing More Than Just Tests for Covid-19

Compared with the well-publicized shortages that have hamstrung U.S. Covid-19 testing, these supply challenges have gone largely unnoticed. But the two are closely tied: A months-long focus across the country on boosting coronavirus testing, paired with lengthy interruptions to non-pandemic medical care, left manufacturers prioritizing production of Covid-related materials. Companies like Becton Dickinson and Co and Hardy Diagnostics say they’re working to make up the deficits but it could take months.

Looks like its more of a shift in production. 

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I wish there would have been more info on the "why". Had to read through to the end to find some reasons. Don't understand how protecting the vulnerable is unethical. Looks like this debate will be with us for awhile.

Protecting the vulnerable is not unethical at all, but it shouldn't be in lieu of allowing the virus to spread unchecked amongst the young and healthy, because it will inevitably get to the vulnerable anyway. Not to mention overtax the healthcare system in the process. 

To me (how I read the declaration), "focused prevention" seems like a dressed up phrase for a milder form of herd immunity. I just don't understand the purpose of this strategy when a vaccine is on the horizon, which will get us to that herd immunity mark without infecting the 300 million it'd take to get there naturally (without pharmaceutical intervention). It's like we are fighting to win a football game, but rather than play the 4th quarter they want us to lie down on the field and see what happens. 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Protecting the vulnerable is not unethical at all, but it shouldn't be in lieu of allowing the virus to spread unchecked amongst the young and healthy, because it will inevitably get to the vulnerable anyway. Not to mention overtax the healthcare system in the process. 

To me (how I read the declaration), "focused prevention" seems like a dressed up phrase for a milder form of herd immunity. I just don't understand the purpose of this strategy when a vaccine is on the horizon, which will get us to that herd immunity mark without infecting the 300 million it'd take to get there naturally (without pharmaceutical intervention). It's like we are fighting to win a football game, but rather than play the 4th quarter they want us to lie down on the field and see what happens. 

It seems like the strategy Sweden pursued. Protect the vulnerable, follow some common sense guidelines but keep schools and businesses open. That seems to have worked out well- so far- for them. Elon Musk just praised them for that strategy- https://fee.org/articles/elon-musk-on-lockdowns-sweden-was-right/

I also saw a study today reporting that unemployment in states with looser restrictions was 6% while in those states that had stricter lockdowns , was still greater than 10%. Obviously, those states will experience  greater difficulties as a result.

Edited by Reacher

24 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Hmmm...things aren't looking so great right now.  Record numbers of cases all over the place and a number of hospitals being pushed to the limit.  I guess it's going to be a long and difficult winter.   😷

Spread is occurring at home.  Really hard to prevent.  I don't know what the answer is.

A man who writes for the newspaper in my hometown did a series of stories recently about his experience with Covid. He had it back in June and still doesn't feel like he's fully recovered. He was hospitalized and seriously thought he might not go home. Some of the aftereffects he described were pretty scary. When he returned to work, he had forgotten the names of his co-workers. 

My biggest fear with all of this is that too many people are making it a black and white issue. For many that I've listened to, there are only two outcomes: you either live or you die, and such and such studies show there's a 99.99% chance you'll live if you meet such and such criteria, etc. 

Maybe I get Covid and don't die, but I sure as sh*t don't want to spend a week in the hospital wondering what songs should be played at my funeral. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

A man who writes for the newspaper in my hometown did a series of stories recently about his experience with Covid. He had it back in June and still doesn't feel like he's fully recovered. He was hospitalized and seriously thought he might not go home. Some of the aftereffects he described were pretty scary. When he returned to work, he had forgotten the names of his co-workers. 

My biggest fear with all of this is that too many people are making it a black and white issue. For many that I've listened to, there are only two outcomes: you either live or you die, and such and such studies show there's a 99.99% chance you'll live if you meet such and such criteria, etc. 

Maybe I get Covid and don't die, but I sure as sh*t don't want to spend a week in the hospital wondering what songs should be played at my funeral. 

Mrs. mile delivered food to the homeless women's shelter in Denver today.... as she has been doing for years. And then received a text that the person she handed the food off to.... was tested positive for Covid after Mrs. mile left the shelter.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Mrs. mile delivered food to the homeless women's shelter in Denver today.... as she has been doing for years. And then received a text that the person she handed the food off to.... was tested positive for Covid after Mrs. mile left the shelter.

Praying your wife doesn’t get the virus mile!

12 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Hate to hear that Mile.  My thoughts are with her.

Appreciate your concern.  Thank you.  Mrs. mile woke up today (Oct 18 ) with a headache.  Feels it is wild fire smoke related, rather than Covid.  This wild fire smoke has been playing havoc with the entire mile family for weeks. 

18 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I'm hoping that Mrs. Mile and the Mile clan are all healthy and COVID free...take care!