Coronavirus

Reacher

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Indiana shatters it's single day new cases number with over 3.600 reported today.  Not good news for the high school basketball season.  

Just be thankful you aren't in Illinois.  On Tuesday, the governor said they were putting basketball on hold due to the surge of cases.  On Wednesday, the IHSA said they would be moving forward with basketball, basically giving the middle finger to the governor's office.  Last night, the state board of education said there could be consequences and liability issues for schools if they decide to play and defy the state's orders.  Just crazy around here.

• Like 2

And I just looked and Illinois had almost 6400 cases today compared to about 5100 last Thursday.  Set another record by about 200 cases.  Pretty much everywhere I go, I hardly see anybody wearing masks.  I'm glad I got our golf season out of the way because things are not trending in the right way right now.

Also, my grandma tested positive a couple weeks ago and is in pretty rough shape.  I've never been close with her, and she is 99 and has Alzheimer's, so it's a blessing at this point.  She spent a couple weeks in the hospital, and she's so weak right now, she can't really do anything.  They're trying to figure out if there's even a chance she'll improve with physical therapy, or if they're just going to put her on hospice and let things run their course.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Super informative, long and interesting article that I highly recommend. This covers so much of the stuff we’ve been talking about. I think our brains want to be able to understand a simple cause and effect, but this virus is so much more complicated, thus we need to change how we fight it. 

https://amp-theatlantic-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/616548/

a good summary per the article:

Oshitani contrasts the Japanese strategy, nailing almost every important feature of the pandemic early on, with the Western response, trying to eliminate the disease “one by one” when that’s not necessarily the main way it spreads. Indeed, Japan got its cases down, but kept up its vigilance: When the government started noticing an uptick in community cases, it initiated a state of emergency in April and tried hard to incentivize the kinds of businesses that could lead to super-spreading events, such as theaters, music venues, and sports stadiums, to close down temporarily. Now schools are back in session in person, and even stadiums are open—but without chanting.

It’s not always the restrictiveness of the rules, but whether they target the right dangers. As Morris put it, “Japan’s commitment to ‘cluster-busting’ allowed it to achieve impressive mitigation with judiciously chosen restrictions. Countries that have ignored super-spreading have risked getting the worst of both worlds: burdensome restrictions that fail to achieve substantial mitigation. The U.K.’s recent decision to limit outdoor gatherings to six people while allowing pubs and bars to remain open is just one of many such examples.”

Could we get back to a much more normal life by focusing on limiting the conditions for super-spreading events, aggressively engaging in cluster-busting, and deploying cheap, rapid mass tests—that is, once we get our case numbers down to low enough numbers to carry out such a strategy? (Many places with low community transmission could start immediately.) Once we look for and see the forest, it becomes easier to find our way out.

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 2

Not looking good in Europe-

In most of Europe, a high percentage of tests for the virus are coming back positive, an indication that many infected people are going undetected and that testing programs are insufficient. The positivity rate, which the ECDC recommends should stay below 3%, has reached 11% in Spain, 18% in France and 26% in both the Netherlands and the Czech Republic

53 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Just got word that our school district will be shutting down all schools for 2 weeks. Our county is a hot bed again, Heaven forbid we infringe upon the GOD givens rights and ask people to wear a mask. 8 members of our church tested positive. 

Yeah, my grandson (11) just got quarantined because he was around a kid who tested positive. This is in Southwestern Illinois. His Mom (my oldest daughter) called me last night about it. She has to work from home to look after him and insure he's doing his virtual schooling. Luckily, she can work from home and her employer is very flexible...

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, my grandson (11) just got quarantined because he was around a kid who tested positive. This is in Southwestern Illinois. His Mom (my oldest daughter) called me last night about it. She has to work from home to look after him and insure he's doing his virtual schooling. Luckily, she can work from home and her employer is very flexible...

Thats true. For us my wife works at the school as an hourly employee and with her off all this week with her and Ayden being sick and then the next 2 weeks off for her on top of how hard Coronavirus has hit our business from a sales perspective the last 7 months some worry is popping up for sure. 

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

Not looking good in Europe-

In most of Europe, a high percentage of tests for the virus are coming back positive, an indication that many infected people are going undetected and that testing programs are insufficient. The positivity rate, which the ECDC recommends should stay below 3%, has reached 11% in Spain, 18% in France and 26% in both the Netherlands and the Czech Republic

Per that article I linked above, the Western World is not effectively mitigating the spread. We're playing whack-a-mole. With this strategy we will continue to have waves and spikes until we have a vaccine, and will hurt our economies in the process. Even before I read the article, I've kept wondering why we aren't borrowing strategies from the countries who are doing the best in fighting this virus: Japan, South Korea, Australia, Taiwan, New Zealand, Hong Kong, etc.

We're not doing any good comparing ourselves to Europe and they aren't doing any good comparing themselves to us. We're the blind leading the blind. At some point the Western World has to get our heads out of our collective arses. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 4

On 10/29/2020 at 4:17 PM, Leathernecks said:

Also, my grandma tested positive a couple weeks ago and is in pretty rough shape.  I've never been close with her, and she is 99 and has Alzheimer's, so it's a blessing at this point.  She spent a couple weeks in the hospital, and she's so weak right now, she can't really do anything.  They're trying to figure out if there's even a chance she'll improve with physical therapy, or if they're just going to put her on hospice and let things run their course.

I'm sorry to hear that.  Wishing you all peace and comfort.  

• Thanks 1

Good article discussing reporting the date of death vs date of report-

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/coronavirus/popular-covid-tracking-sites-indicate-rise-deaths-cdc-data-shows

"Yet the three major COVID tracking sites all tabulate deaths by date of report, without any option to see COVID-19 fatalities listed by when they actually occurred. This has led to all three sites graphing recent weeks of fatalities as if they were increasing — but more timely data from the CDC suggests that week-over-week numbers of provisional deaths have actually been falling. "

• Like 1

My secretatary’s brother is now in the hospital with Covid (Houston) and she’s self-quarantining under our firm’s 14-day rule following exposure. One of the staff has lost 3 family members to the disease. We continue to remain “open” with a number of protocols in place, masks, temperature taking, limits on number of people in restrooms etc., while allowing staff and attorneys to work remotely. I work mostly in the office but still work remotely and that will likely increase. 

No real end in sight people. Need - NEED - to keep following protocols

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

37 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

My secretatary’s brother is now in the hospital with Covid (Houston) and she’s self-quarantining under our firm’s 14-day rule following exposure. One of the staff has lost 3 family members to the disease. We continue to remain “open” with a number of protocols in place, masks, temperature taking, limits on number of people in restrooms etc., while allowing staff and attorneys to work remotely. I work mostly in the office but still work remotely and that will likely increase. 

No real end in sight people. Need - NEED - to keep following protocols

I've been told I'll be working from home well into the 1st quarter of next year...

Our work, at least new projects, are piling up...

I've been eligible to retire for a while, but I won't leave yet...too many things started that I want to see through...

My facility has lost one employee to COVID. Every night 2 or 3 centers go ATC-0 for 4 hours or so for a cleaning. Cleveland and Memphis have been the worst...

Edited by IUFLA

Nostradamus  Chapter 6  KJV

1And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and see.

2And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer.

3And when he had opened the second seal, I heard the second beast say, Come and see.

4And there went out another horse that was red: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another: and there was given unto him a great sword.

5And when he had opened the third seal, I heard the third beast say, Come and see. And I beheld, and lo a black horse; and he that sat on him had a pair of balances in his hand.

6And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny; and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine.

7And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see.

8And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

9And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:

10And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?

11And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

12And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;

13And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.

14And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.

15And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;

16And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:

17For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Definitely seems to be some seasonality to this.  While cases are spiking in the Northern Hemisphere heading into winter, they are dropping in the Southern Hemisphere as they are in mid-spring, headed to summer.

How is Mexico and Central America doing?  I haven't heard anything.

18 minutes ago, rico said:

How is Mexico and Central America doing?  I haven't heard anything.

Mexico cases peaked in late July / early August, dropped, and are increasing slightly again.  Nothing like the surge in the U.S. though.

Don't really know much about Central America, and would probably question the validity of their numbers anyway.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Covid related hospitalizations at an all-time high in Indiana.  

Just got email from our church, 14 members positive and 6 in hospital in critical condition. 11 of the 14 are over 65 all 6 in hospital over 65 with other health issues.  Some of them are the people that swear that after election day this will all be gone. 

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Just got email from our church, 14 members positive and 6 in hospital in critical condition. 11 of the 14 are over 65 all 6 in hospital over 65 with other health issues.  Some of them are the people that swear that after election day this will all be gone. 

Was standing in line to vote today and some guy behind me was telling his friend "at the end of the week, we won't have to wear masks any longer."

A lot of the things around the virus are political.  But, the virus itself is real and we should change our behavior until a vaccine is available.

Just now, 5fouls said:

Was standing in line to vote today and some guy behind me was telling his friend "at the end of the week, we won't have to wear masks any longer."

A lot of the things around the virus are political.  But, the virus itself is real and we should change our behavior until a vaccine is available.

Exactly. My fear is that after the election that our state will go back to Red status and here in Indy non essential business will shut down. 

I for one  would like to get the vaccine immediately but my wife wants to wait. Will see what Ayden's Dr say to do. 

just had to shut down my team for 2 weeks. A kid came to practice with a pending test and 2 days later got a positive result. Who brings their kid to any function with a pending test? This is not March, we know how this all works by now. 

I'm not sure what to call that. Ignorance? Selfishness? Naivety?  Probably all of the above and I can think of a lot more colorful adjectives. 

Sometimes I think we need to learn how to save ourselves from ourselves before we begin to save ourselves from this virus. 

• Like 2